“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 4,231 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: International, Spanish, Tapas
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Dessert, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: When we opened the doors to MoVida in Hosier lane, Melbourne in 2003 no one knew what to expect. Here was this little bar on a graffiti covered cobbled lane near the cathedral serving Spanish tapas and shared plates in a down lit room playing funky tunes. It's the kind of place you can come in for a beer and a jamon croquetta at the bar and then move across to a table and share a plate of slow braised lamb, some patatas a lo pobre and down some seriously good Spanish red wine.
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Great atmosphere, attentive staff and wonderful food. Wished we could have gone back on our visit to Melbourne but they were fully booked.

• Visited June 2014

George Town, Malaysia
“As Vivid as Spain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

When I first stepped into this small cozy restaurant, it immediately reminded me of Barcelona. It was warm, lively and full with laughter. Their staffs are friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

This is the best meal that I had during my entire trip in Australia.

Their tapas are great! The tapas that we ordered were impressive. I especially love the Anchoa. The smoked tomato sorbet made the anchovies taste amazing!
We also ordered two raciones (I'm sure 'main' is not the correct translation but we treated these as main). The baked seafood pasta was nice, in fact there're more seafood than pasta. My favorite is the wagyu steak tartare with quail egg. The flavour and texture was fantastic, and it went extremely well with the deep-fried-thin-slices of bread. Some in my gang couldn't eat beef but they enjoyed these bread very much! The staff that served us even bring us more of these after we finished them.
We ended our late dinner with warm apple gazpacho. I always love gazpacho but I have never had any warm gazpacho before. The gazpacho that they served was excellence! You can taste the freshness of the apple and it was sensational! However, it was not listed in the menu so I guess this is one of their always-changing-items.

Carlsbad, California
“too noisy, food average”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

place is small, noisy and the food is average at best. I've had topas before but this food had no outstanding taste. You're overpaying.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Broome, Western Australia, Australia
“Surprise.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Walked in without reservation one Lunch. Scored a table for three. Comprehensive waitress. Amongst having a great understanding for Spanish quisine from their menu, I asked about what I believed were 'albondigas', a spanish meatball in tomatoe sauce dish, since I didn't see them on the menu (maybe a 'special')?? She knew exactly, what I meant, but explained to me, that what I saw were in fact not albondigas, but rather (and now I forgot what it was....). Anyways, the food was great, service quick and a great, spanish 'tapas' atmosphere.

Melbourne, Australia
“Slice of Spain right here in Melbourne”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Love MoVida. We could end it right there but I won't, Beef Cheek, OMgoodness with cauliflower puree, its the sort of thing you would order if you had to choose a last meal! Poor mans potatoes, croquettes, their signature dish of Waygu beef with foam, marinated peppers with cumin, empanadas and on and on we go.....
Love the atmosphere of this small cosy restaurant, you could almost imagine you were in Barcelona in the gothic area or Madrid close to the food market. But no, we are in Australia. What Frank Camorra and his crew have done is bring Spain to us. Thank you Frank.
Did I mention the Creme Caramel? Now that is so seriously good, make a visit just for that. Don't even think of sharing.

• Visited July 2013