“Nice food... when it decided to come to our table!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JJ's Bar Level 1 Crown Towers 8 Whiteman Streetand Grill

JJ's Bar Level 1 Crown Towers 8 Whiteman Streetand Grill
8 Whiteman Street | Level 1 Crown Towers, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)
03 9292 6891
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,194 of 4,093 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Southbank
Melbourne, Australia
“Nice food... when it decided to come to our table!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

Went to JJs Bar and Grill for my birthday last month and was initially impressed with the atmosphere in the restaurant. Very 'Las Vegas-like' and reminded me of the Bellagio, in terms of its decorations and furniture.
However, the service at this restaurant is terrible. Took us over an hour to receive our ENTREE'S or even our starter of bread! Even when we asked the waiter's where our bread was, they fobbed our request off and still didn't give us anything to eat!
Had a cosmopolitan before dinner to tie me over and also did not enjoy the cocktail nearly as much as i should have on my birthday. Poorly made.
Once our food did decide to come, it was great. I had a rib eye and it was cooked to perfection. Very filling with sides of vegetables and fries. Loved every minute of the meal!
Would i go there again? Probably not. Should you go there and check it out? Why not, just don't have any plans after dinner and you will be fine!

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“We weren't important”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

Six people, as part of a Crown visit, with Crown vouchers. Maybe that's why we didn't seem all that important. Rather stuffy wait service, steaks that seemed to be overcooked on the outside but perfect inside. However, I did expect perfection at Crown. We couldn't get anybody's attention to pay, to the point where I walked over to the cash register. I was surprised, as were my guests. Atmosphere was quietly elegant, but I can get better steak at suburban specialist steak houses (eg Steak Bank Ormond)

• 3 of 5 stars Food
“Fantastic...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

We love coming to JJ's. If you want to dine in style and have a really relaxing evening with family and friends then this is the place for you. It is lovely and intimate, with dimmed lights and candles, nicely set tables and a great service. It's more on the expensive side but in our opinion it's worth every cent. The food is excellent quality, very tasty and generous portions. If you come for dinner on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, there is a special dinner offer including 2 courses, 2 glasses of premium Victorian wine(2008 Chardonnay was excellent!),a choice of side dish and tea or coffee for only $68 per person. Fabulous value!! If you consider that a steak on its own, from A-la-Carte menu is close to $50, then you know what I'm talking about. Scallops were mouthwatering, steak was a winner, done to perfection and to exactly our liking. Roasted potatoes and steamed veggies were really nice and everything looked and tasted yummy! The portions were so generous that (sadly!) we didn't have a room for dessert. We would also like to compliment the staff who was helpful, professional and fast - great service, thank you!!
We really enjoyed the evening and would recommend this great art deco bar to anybody who appreciates intimate environment, excellent food, great service with a smile and candlelight dinner!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Nice atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

Decided to give JJ a try after visiting most of the other restaurants in Crown. First thing I noticed as I stepped in was the huge bar right in the middle, which would be ideal if you want a drink or two before your meal.

Prices are on the pointy end, my Black Angus steak was about $50 and sides are $9. It tasted quite nice so combined with the location, the nice ambiance, it was reasonably priced. Service is excellent, responsive and attentive.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Great place, go at the weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

What can I add!

Lovely place, if you need to eat, perfect then watch the weekend unfold!

I have been to JJ's several times, with customers and without, lovely place, classy and an overall good place to unwind in!

• Visited March 2011