“Thank you Mario!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 4,076 Restaurants in Melbourne
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Step back in time as you enjoy your meal in a friendly relaxed family run business.
Melbourne, Australia
“Thank you Mario!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

For my son's 11th birthday dinner he gave me a brief - we had to go somewhere which was a little different and not in the area we live, it had to have good atmosphere, and it had to have extensive pasta and meat dishes. After searching for good Italian restaurants I came across Il Cantuccio and after reading other reviews I decided this would be the perfect choice!

Mario immediately took over the arrangements. He offered to organise a cake for me and have it delivered to the restaurant. He kept in touch as though it was a massive 40th birthday party not a simple 11 year old party for 8 people. When we arrived, he immediately wished Luke a happy birthday which set him up for the night! We were given bruschetta; garlic and herb bread on the house plus port at the end of the night. Mario fussed over Luke and to top it all off, the food was extremely good! The cake came out with candles and sparklers and everyone sang Happy Birthday - I haven't seen my son glow with pride like that for a while!

It was a lovely evening - as my son said when he went to bed - the perfect night. I would highly recommend Il Cantuccio, the food is delicious, the atmosphere is wonderful and cosy and the attention from staff, outstanding! Thank you Mario - we will be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
emcee-corn, Manager at Il Cantuccio, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you so much Chris for your nice comments we're glad you enjoyed the evening it's all about making you feel welcome just as if you were at home.Hope to see you again soon. Ciao Mario..

Hvar, Croatia
“A Warm and friendly welcome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

The friendly owner, Mario, made us feel most welcome. The food was top quality with imaginative ideas and well presented. The atmosphere is very much of a traditional Italian restaurant and the prices very reasonable. We brought a bottle of his brother, Vince's, very good wine from his vinyard in the Yarra Valley and it was a perfect end to a well needed holiday in Victoria.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you so much for your nice comments we're glad you enjoyed the evening it's all about making you feel welcome just as if you were at home.Hope to see you again soon. Ciao Mario..
Perth, Australia
“Fantastic - Just had to write a review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

A colleague and I literally just finished dining at Il Cantuccio after walking Lygon street and were attracted to this place by its warm looking and rustic atmosphere. Unlike every other Italian on Lygon Street it doesn't serve pizza, have street salesmen and it's menu isn't as long as an encyclopedia and in my opinion it is much better for it. We were greeted by a friendly (not overbearing) waitstaff and seated at a vacant table. I had the veal scaloppine with red wine, mushroom and cream sauce which was delectable! Like most Italian food it wasn't the healthiest, but OMG was it amazing and flavorsome, the natural flavors of traditional cooking were apparent with every bite. The staff, who I assume were owner and wife were extremely friendly, happy that we clean our plates with our complementary bread and even sat down to the table next to us to join in the friendly conversation. It was so refreshing to see that such traditional hospitality and authentic recipes had not been forsaken for commercialism and the obsessively health conscious. In my mind an amazing experience, do not hesitate!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Authentic Italian food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

After a day at the Melbourne cup we finished early and rang II Cantuccio to ask if we could come one hour early. No problem they said. The service was impeccable and the food superb. We were a table of 12 who had different items from the menu. We couldn't fault it. Highly recommend.

Visited November 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
“Friendly service and superb food - I love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

A brief business trip to Melbourne but one night free to go back to Il Cantuccio to see if I could be third time lucky on food and service. And I was.

Mario and his wife Lara are very special people. respect gets respect with them and my Friday night was an exceptional dining experience in which the food was only part of the equation. We shared conversation and good humour during the night and it just ended up as a memorable occasion. So how good is it when you don't get to a favorite restaurants for a few months and as soon as you walk in the door someone calls you by your name and welcomes you back ??

Il Cantuccio - I love you!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
emcee-corn, Manager at Il Cantuccio, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Always a pleasure having a chat and a laugh with you.See you next time your in Melbourne.Mario