“Fantastic place. Great food, great people. Unmissable!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #186 of 3,967 restaurants in Melbourne
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic place. Great food, great people. Unmissable!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were an hour early for our hotel check in so we decided to grab a brunch here, having walked most of the way down Acland street this was a clear winner and I am so glad we turned back! Staff were great, coffee was amazing and the poached eggs were perfect, what more could you ask for. Your trip to st kilda would be incomplete if you don't stop in at the galleon. It is worth it!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

95% Recommend
Vernon, Connecticut
“Great find in St. Kilda”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We were staying across the street at the cosmopolitan hotel. We noticed the constant traffic here. So, we popped in. Not much to look at from the outside, but oh the food! We were all hungry, but the amount of food even for big american appetites was almost too much. One of our group had the "big breaky", and that it was. I had eggs Benedict, and it was great. My wife couldn't finish her breakfast. We also came back a second time, and also had lunch there. I am the only coffee drinker, and the flat white was better than anything at Starbucks. Service was fast, and overall, this is a A+ joint, as we say in the states. Great experience.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Order anything...... You can't go wrong!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

I visit this cafe each time I come to Melbourne and each time I enjoy it more than the last visit. The food is delicious and good portion sizes...... I recommend the sweet potato hash!!
You may not be drawn to this cafe from the outdoor deco but it's definitely worth a trip through the door!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Adelaide, Australia
“Luscious Latte”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Wanted a latte before catching the tram. Sat outside on the groovy chairs and was quickly attended to. Our lattes came out and were amazing. If we had more time, we would have had another. Lots of people here on a Saturday Morning, their food looked great.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Adelaide, Australia
“Breakfast Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I had walked past this place in St Kilda many a time, noting both its shabby appearance and the fact I never ever saw it not full or nearly full.

I was fortunate enough to be visiting Melbourne with a mate who was a former resident of St Kilda and we visited there for breakfast. I was suitably impressed so whilst In Melbourne with the family I coaxed them from the standard hotel buffet breakfast to this funny looking place in St Kilda. Everyone loved it even the 14 year old who was unsure when he saw the outside of the place - although he was reassured by the well laid out and looked after kitchen area. Breakfast for our party included coffee, shakes, scrambled eggs, bacon and egg sandwich, pancakes, avocado mushrooms, poached eggs on toast and a Bloody Mary with smoky bacon but based on Clamato juice being what Canadians call a Caesar (and a personal favorite). Fantastic food and a reasonable bill considering we ate enough that no-one wanted lunch or dinner! Even with the taxi fare from the city it was better value than the hotel buffet.

The decor is unusual and the frontage is well loved but the place is brilliant. Would have to be one of the nicest breakfasts I've ever had!

Do not, what ever you do, think of leaving this place off your list for a breakfast, or other meal for that matter!

• Visited July 2013