“An excellent experience” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Canberra, Australia
“An excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

While this restaurant could never be called cheap, the experience was certainly worth it. I enjoyed a brilliant gnocchi for starters while my wife had spanner crab - both were brilliant. For main I enjoyed an excellent, flavorsome Barramundi with a mild curry sauce. My better half had the Mulloway with Asian inspired salad. I thought mine was good but hers was even better. The true highlight of the meal was the dessert - a tasting platter for two. Hard to decide the favourite here but if I were to order a stand alone dessert I'd have the rhubarb crumble.

Overall, we had an excellent experience and we'd certainly recommend Ezard for a fine dining evening.

86% Recommend
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“The Awakening of My Stingy-side.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

The cause of the visit was due to my mother's birthday and after most of the positive reviews, we honestly expected a lot more.... The service was alright, though we had to wait quite a while- even after asking- for the bread. It was rather disappointing as you must order set menus for the weekends and we aren't that fond of set menus.

For appetizer, there was the citrus and vodka cured salmon, which I highly recommend as it tastes lovely. The low cooked pork belly was only average, being a bit too chewy for my liking however, again the open wagyu burger come highly recommended as it does taste quite nice.

Mains, there was the pork hock- highly recommended, the skin is crispy and the bean shoot salad went incredibly well with it, though the jasmine rice was a little too under-cooked and dry. Chinese style roast duck wasn't anything spectacular, coconut rice tasted good, except it was a little too rich and the sauce that it came with was much too salty. Eight score wagyu beef was marvelous, a little on the rich side and not the best I've tasted, but it is quite lovely.

Dessert was my main letdown though, even though we got four set menus, we only got three desserts (which isn't my issue, since I suppose we did order the dessert palate and that would balance it out, I guess), it was just that the dessert was just too everything. Lemon tart and passion fruit parfait were sour to the point where my teeth ached, carrot cake dry, brownie quite hard and generally, everything was not quite satisfactory. The only thing I thought was somewhat okay, was the apple crumble.

Either way, I felt the dinner was a little overpriced especially at the standard it was at. It didn't live up to my expectations and I felt as though if they were charging that much, it should be a little more special. The dishes weren't actually bad, it's just that I felt as though I could go to another place and grab a dish similar and it would be a lot cheaper. Maybe it's just because we went on the weekends that we got the set menu, but we didn't feel as though it was worth it so we probably won't be revisiting.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Not as Good as it Was”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Ezard was my favourite Melbourne restaurant, that was until last night.

We arrived for a late dinner booking eager to reminisce in the Asian-inspired flavours we have come to know from Teage Ezard.

The service was average. We were seated promptly but had to ask twice for the menu. In fact we had to ask for a few things, something I’ve not had to be bothered with previously as Ezard as things have magically appeared.

My entrée, steamed spanner crab dumplings with yarra valley salmon roe, chervil cress, coconut tom kha ($31), was in a word – bland. I’ve had numerous reincarnations of this dish over the years but never have I had one where both the dumplings are lacking flavour and the tom kha is watery. I was so disappointed.

My main was a different story. The spatchcock, pea and mint fritters, chiang kiang caramel, roasted garlic, pickled cucumber salad ($49) was on the opposite end of the spectrum to the point where the sauce overpowered the delicate flavours of the chicken. Fortunately the sweet and sour of the pickled cucumber salad came to the rescue, but there was not enough of it to combat the sauce.

My husband’s main, eight score sher wagyu beef, white polenta, morels, red wine jam, foie gras, sticky shallot jus and mache salad ($69) was far too rich (and perfectly fatty) for my palate, but he seemed to enjoy it.

Our dinner companions also enjoyed the wagyu as well as pan fried sesame crusted john dory, gnocchi, nettle, black rice paper, jerusalem artichoke and chestnut custard ($50) which was a delightful mix of soft fish flesh, al dente gnocchi and crisp black rice paper – texturally perfect.

Whilst our dinner was nice, I did find overall the experience less that I have enjoyed previously, and not worth the price. If I were rating last night’s dinner it certainly would not get the two chefs hats that Ezard proudly display on their site.

With the demise of the Adelphi Hotel situated above them, I certainly hope that this is not a sign of things to come and that Ezard picks up its game soon.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne
“The perfect dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Went to Ezard to celebrate my partners 30th. It was a magical experience! The food was superb, really lovely intimate setting and everything ran like a perfectly oiled machine. The staff were knowledgeable, helpful and even wrote 'happy birthday' on our dessert platter which was a really nice touch. Highly recommend for a special occasion.

• Visited March 2013
Rosebud
“Simply THE BEST”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Ezard does it again! Fanstastic food prepared with flair and imagination. Front of house is attentive without being intrusive - knowledgable and add to creating a relaxed environment. In contrast to the trend towards hiring prententious waitresses at lesser establishments that we have been to. We had 4 different dishes and all were amazing - so it doesn't matter what you pick from the menu. You must try the oyster shots and save room for dessert!