“Not as Good as it Was” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ezard

ezard
187 Flinders Lane, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Central Business District)
+613 9639 6811
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
ezard is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 3,379 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Contemporary, Australian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Not as Good as it Was”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Ezard was my favourite Melbourne restaurant, that was until last night.

We arrived for a late dinner booking eager to reminisce in the Asian-inspired flavours we have come to know from Teage Ezard.

The service was average. We were seated promptly but had to ask twice for the menu. In fact we had to ask for a few things, something I’ve not had to be bothered with previously as Ezard as things have magically appeared.

My entrée, steamed spanner crab dumplings with yarra valley salmon roe, chervil cress, coconut tom kha ($31), was in a word – bland. I’ve had numerous reincarnations of this dish over the years but never have I had one where both the dumplings are lacking flavour and the tom kha is watery. I was so disappointed.

My main was a different story. The spatchcock, pea and mint fritters, chiang kiang caramel, roasted garlic, pickled cucumber salad ($49) was on the opposite end of the spectrum to the point where the sauce overpowered the delicate flavours of the chicken. Fortunately the sweet and sour of the pickled cucumber salad came to the rescue, but there was not enough of it to combat the sauce.

My husband’s main, eight score sher wagyu beef, white polenta, morels, red wine jam, foie gras, sticky shallot jus and mache salad ($69) was far too rich (and perfectly fatty) for my palate, but he seemed to enjoy it.

Our dinner companions also enjoyed the wagyu as well as pan fried sesame crusted john dory, gnocchi, nettle, black rice paper, jerusalem artichoke and chestnut custard ($50) which was a delightful mix of soft fish flesh, al dente gnocchi and crisp black rice paper – texturally perfect.

Whilst our dinner was nice, I did find overall the experience less that I have enjoyed previously, and not worth the price. If I were rating last night’s dinner it certainly would not get the two chefs hats that Ezard proudly display on their site.

With the demise of the Adelphi Hotel situated above them, I certainly hope that this is not a sign of things to come and that Ezard picks up its game soon.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank SigriddeC

Melbourne
“The perfect dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Went to Ezard to celebrate my partners 30th. It was a magical experience! The food was superb, really lovely intimate setting and everything ran like a perfectly oiled machine. The staff were knowledgeable, helpful and even wrote 'happy birthday' on our dessert platter which was a really nice touch. Highly recommend for a special occasion.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Ebbs_K1311
Rosebud
“Simply THE BEST”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Ezard does it again! Fanstastic food prepared with flair and imagination. Front of house is attentive without being intrusive - knowledgable and add to creating a relaxed environment. In contrast to the trend towards hiring prententious waitresses at lesser establishments that we have been to. We had 4 different dishes and all were amazing - so it doesn't matter what you pick from the menu. You must try the oyster shots and save room for dessert!

• Visited September 2013
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Romantic dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Food was excellent. Besides this is my first fine dining experience with my girlfriend. What can I say to this restaurant. It is calm, the foods was fantastic and the service was excellent. One of the best restaurant in Melbourne. Will definitely coming back again one day.

Visited October 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Great food good to entertain for Business or just a romantic evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Consistently great food. Very interesting combinations, exotic but edible for all tastes. The surroundings are elegant and upmarket, so that it is an impressive venue for romance or a business dinner. After a hiccup with the waiter I spoke to the Manager Quentin who was absolutely delightful and fixed the issue immediately. He also gave us dessert on the house as
a very nice gesture which was over and above what one would expect.
I hope he is there on my Birthday visit soon. I highly recommend this restaurant. We ate two of the entrees the Beetroot Salad and the Manchego Cheese Gnocchi both were superb, but the Gnocchi won my vote .For our Mains we shared our meals so we could taste two dishes The Crispy skinned Barramundi and John Dory with Sesame seed coating. Both were excellent.
It is not the first time we have eaten there and we are going back in two weeks.
Be sure to leave room for Dessert the Tasting Plate some of everything. All were fantastic.

• Visited August 2013