“Won't be back.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bluestone Restaurant & Bar

Bluestone Restaurant & Bar
349 Flinders Lane, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)
(03) 9620 4060
Neighborhood: Melbourne CBD
Maryborough, Australia
“Won't be back.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We ate here for my husband’s birthday on a Friday night with a voucher. The place was packed with people having Friday drinks so the ambiance was nice. Gorgeous building.

We were given a tiny table right under a music speaker that was turned up wayyyyyy to loud. There were a few other vacant tables around us, but that seems to be what you get when you are a 'scumbag voucher customer' we thought. It was quite dark and we had trouble reading the menu with just one tea light candle on our table to see with.

Our waitress was just lovely, very bubbly and checked on us consistently.
The entree, a trio of dips, was amazing, the highlight of the meal for me. Then we had an all you can eat pizza main, but my first one (3 cheeses) was mucked up and had the wrong sauce base on it (was supposed to be Napoli but came out with the oil one) which made it taste odd, I ate it though because I was so hungry but then when I tried two more I just didn't enjoy them as much. Husband’s pizza was superb so that was good. Bottle of wine was ok.

This is the SECOND TIME I am leaving this review as the first time it was edited by Trip Advisor to just one line.....“My order was mucked up and we had a teeny table underneath a blaring speaker.”

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Melbourne, Australia
“Very nice, I'll be back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This place is great. We ate in the basement part and were very pleased with the entire experience. Food was delightful - I had the fresh fish kebab, lovely. The service was very attentive. On the night we attended there was also live jazz, which made it a very nice outing. I will definitely be going back again.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“In a foodie city, Bluestone is not an exciting choice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

I have been to the restaurant twice with different groups of people and neither time did it stand out as a particularly good choice in a foodie city.

Food is okay but nothing special, the wine selection is uninspiring....at least the service was quite good.

For a restaurant that sells and prices itself as upmarket it delivers very poor value. I will definitely not make the same mistake a 3rd time with so many alternatives around.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Valerie M, Owner at Bluestone Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am not sure which dining area of Bluestone you are referring to as Bluestone has a main signature restaurant (upstairs) and a pizza and tapas bar downstairs. I am assuming you dined in our restaurant for dinner.

Bluestone Restaurant has been stigmatised as a fine dining restaurant in the past, however that is not how we consider ourselves. We present ourselves as passionate about putting locally produced food onto tables with great, joyful service and at a good price point

Bluestone Restaurant underwent rennovations in January this year and the venue now has a much younger, fresher and less formal feel. The menu also reflects this. The lunch and dinner menu vary completely from eachother. The new lunch menu has entrees from $12 and mains from $20; and the dinner menu has entrees from $20 and mains from $35-$44. (The one exception being our 400gm rib eye from Hopkins River at $68).
We also offer an incredibly great value eight course degustation menu at $110.

Bluestone Downstairs has an award winning wood-fired pizza menu available for both lunch and dinner, plus at lunchtime we offer salads and some lighter dishes, and in the evening a tapas menu is also offered. Prices Downtairs for mains/pizza's are from $20 and tapas from $9-$14

The restaurant wine list is currently being taken over once again by co-owner Jason McLean and re-formatted. Expect to see a a more condensed list representing everyone's favourite varieties, and Austlralia's most popular regions as well as some little gems that you won't find in a bottle shop. Eg. we have just put on a ripper Tasmanian Tempranillo today which will be a perfect match to our flinders island wallaby featuring in our entree and degustation menu

We are disappointed that you perceived your expereince as poor value. Perhaps you would be interested in trying our new lunch menu, if you ever do have the opportunity to return.
Perth
“Easy location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We dined at the Bluestone Restaurant & Bar as part of a wedding reception. This was held in their small private room which was very nicely appointed with glasses, cutlery & crockery clean and polished. The ambience of the room - excellent.

We dined on a degustation meal and enjoyed each course.
The only offputting thing was the main course was "Wallaby". Struggled to eat it after reading that!

Service was touch and go. I received my main course approx 15 minutes after everyone else. Kitchen had obviously miscounted number of meals required.

Don't know if I would rush back there.

Visited December 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“There's a party in my tummy - so yummy so yummy!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Ok, where do I start! I've been to Bluestone many, many times & have always loved the food, atmosphere & drinks - go the jugs of sangria! The service at Bluestone is pretty good most of the time, bar staff are awesome & great at making cocktails! The wait staff sometimes need a cracker up their toosh, but in saying this - it was only one time where our waiter was on another planet. The food is beautiful, no complaints at all. Simple, tasty & left all of us wanting more. I think the prices are very reasonable - I've only ever eaten in the bar downstairs as I love the atmosphere. I LOVE Bluestone!

• Visited November 2012