“Excellent Apartments Near Conference Centre” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne Northbank

Save Saved
You added Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne Northbank to your Saves list
Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne Northbank
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   550 Flinders St, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Formerly Medina Executive Northbank)   |
Ranked #47 of 170 hotels in Melbourne
Hobart
“Excellent Apartments Near Conference Centre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

The Medina Executive Northbank is located at the edge of the CBD and within easy walking distance to the Exhibition & Convention Centre and the Etihad Stadium. This is still a fairly dreary part of town but an excellent location if your are attending one of those venues. The hotel itself is fairly typical of it's class but the rooms are large and very comfortable. My room had a very comfortable sitting area with a sofa, desk and several chairs. Both the bedroom and the sitting room had doors opening onto a spacious balcony and both rooms had their own airconditioners. I didn't use the kitchen but it looked to be well stocked with all the utensils required to self-cater.

Breakfast was served at an adjoining coffee shop, cheaper and a much higher standard than typical hotel fare (great coffee!),
Internet access was too expensive but a little cheaper than the other hotels I have used recently in Melbourne. Overall - very good and recommended.
We ate at Movida, a good Spanish restaurant about 5-10 minutes walk from the hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

607 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Medina Apartments while she attended a conference . We chose a one bedroom apartment and the room was clean, well maintained and very comfortable. Street noise of an evening was minimal, and despite the very occasional noise of trains, we were both able to enjoy a good nights sleep.

Location wise, the Medina is just across the river from the casino and convention/exhibition centre, making it an easy 5-10 minute walk to both these venues. There is also a tram stop out front and South Cross (Spencer st) Station is just a block away.

An earlier reviewer noted a lack of tv channels. I can confirm there were Foxtel channels on the TV when we stayed.

The two minor issues we encountered. 1) Whilst our room had a microwave, there was not any microwave proof containers suitable for cooking (rather than reheating). This mean I ate out a couple of more nights than originally planned, but thankfully there is a fantastic Pizza Capers outlet right across the road. 2) Some of the car parking space seemed quite small - barely accommodating our Subaru Forrester. Whilst not all the parks are this small, it may be something to be aware of if you have a large car.

Overall though we found the Medina apartments to be a pretty good pick. Particularly if you're going to be down that end of town (Casino/convention centre) they're well worth a look.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Tasmania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

My husband and I stayed in a one bedroom appartment with Medina in February. Our flight into Melbourne arrived at 7.30 am which put us into the city by 8.30 am, way to early for normal check in, but proceeded to the hotel to use their luggage hold. To our delight our room was made available immediately, and we were able to freshen up from an early morning, have a cuppa and begin our exploration.

The room was immaculately clean, the kitchen very well equiped.

The staff were delightful, and however busy it seemed to be in reception, were still willing to take the time to make wonderful suggestion of places to eat, and places to visit.

Only a short stroll from the Southern Cross Station, and a 7/11 supermarket only a few doors down, we were able to self cater very comfortably.

I would highly reccomned Medina for any visitor to Melbourne.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

Visiting Melbourne on business and was happy with this choice. The pros: central - a short work to the conference and exhibition centre, crowne casino etc. Great bed and bedding - I felt so comfortable in bed. Good and friendly service. I did not cook but the kitchen seemed fairly well stocked with appliances plates and even a dishwasher. Wake up call was reliable and the room service breakfast I ordered came exactly on time and was reasonably priced. Very clean. Cons: breakfast wasn't included in the rate. You can go to the separately run (I think) restaurant or order room service - all charged back to your room. rate. This would not be a problem except my client was paying the bill and while I am sure they'd expect to pay for breakfast, I am not sure whether it says "breakfast" or room service on the bill. I'd hate them to think I took advantage of them. The breakfast, eggs benedict, arrived in a polystyrene box upside down because its basically a take away - so it was a bit of a mess. Also there seemed to be limited channels of TV to watch. If there was Foxtel, I didn't come across it. And then my big dissapointment was the shower. There wasn't a shower cap. I am sure they do give these but I got two sanitary instead and no cap. And the water pressure in the shower was extremely weak. I have listed a few minor issues. But overall I felt very happy and comfortable and would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

Needed accommodations for a week's stay in Melbourne. This place was fantastic, spacious and very quiet. Fully equipped apartment complete with in-suite washer/dryer. Very clean, and the cleaning staff did a wonderful job considering full kitchen. Less than 5 mins to casino, aquarium, and nearby grocery store. Less than 15 mins walk to any point in downtown Melbourne. Nicely situated for most tourist activities, and just across the bridge from new conference center for conferences. Kitchen has full utensils, but you will need to stock on on basic staples for longer stays (stocking the pantry is a for-pay service that is offered).

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

Went to Melbourne for Grand Final weekend, travelling with my partner and another couple. We had adjacent rooms on the third floor, right on the corner of a lane and Flinders Street, with trams, buses, trucks, etc., outside - we didn't hear a peep!

The rooms and the bathrooms were super clean - bright, shiny, sparkling. All good. Only complaint: the towels are REALLY small, although they were crisp and very well-laundered. The bed was huge and really very comfortable, and there was ample stroage space in the cupboards, etc. (although never enough coathangers).

The kitchen is fairly well set up, although we had to ask for a frypan. They only give you one shot of detergent for the dishwasher, but I'm sure it was only a matter of asking for more. (This is NOT a complaint!!)

The hotel has a restaurant next door, and provides very prompt and very reasonably priced room service. What you pay extra for an apartment is offset by the option of catering for yourself. We cooked breakfast each morning, and saved a heap.

The hotel is a way down Flinders St, almost to the corner of Spencer St. This is very convenient for the big railway station, but less so for the other attractions of Melbourne. However, the excellent tram system means you're never far away from anything really, and just over the river is the Crown Plaza complex, and then a bit further down is Southbank. The aquarium is literally over the road, and is really worth a visit (expensive, but those penguins are worth every dollar!).

Coin-operated internet in the lobby - different! But relatively cheap, $2 for 20 minutes. Free would be better of course.

The front desk staff were very friendly, efficient and helpful, and overall this is a very pleasant place to stay, and we'll be back there next year!

• Stayed September 2010
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

We stayed at the Medina Northbank last night which happened to be the AFL Grand Final day. We arrived at the hotel early and unfortunately we could not check in since no rooms were ready which was fair enough. The hotel let us change in the gym/pool toilets - first impressions were not good when I saw the state of the men's toilet pan. On arriving back at the hotel that night we were given a room along the Flinders St frontage. The room was pretty average to say the least which for a room rate of $320 for the night was in my opinion terrible value for money. The noise from the street that night was unbelievable - drunks, police sirens going all night long. Double glazing and some sound proofing would not go amiss. On checking out I did tell the receptionist who did not seem to care and still had the audacity to charge us for the one small apple juice we consumed from the minibar.
Overall I would not recommend this hotel to anyone especially if they get a room alongside Flinders Street unless they are either deaf or an extremely sound sleeper.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne Northbank? Share your experiences!