“Wish I read all the reviews first...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Plum Serviced Apartments Collins Street

You added Plum Serviced Apartments Collins Street to your Saves list
Plum Serviced Apartments Collins Street
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   325 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Formerly Collins Mark Apartments)   |
Ranked #90 of 104 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
gold coast
“Wish I read all the reviews first...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

When the other reviews say that they will not let you pick the keys up early, they mean it.
We were half an hour early and they still made us wait.
The room was average, we were on the 14th floor with a beautiful view of Collins street however the walls had handprints on them (black handprints on cream walls?) the curtains were broken and had dead flies stuck in the roll of them.
The kitchen was clean, the bed was comfortable and the washing machine was broken. The shower was big enough however the floor felt unstable.

My main concern was the door. The lock was broken on our door.
After coming back to the hotel at about 11pm one night, I tried to unlock the door but the key would not turn over. After a panic attack my partner worked out that the pins in the lock were out of place (??) and to open the door you need to put the key in all the way, then pull it out halfway and THEN turn the key to open the door.
Made me feel very unsafe and scared.

After reading the other reviews about how the cleaners took items from peoples baggage, I did not want my room to be serviced so i'm not sure what the cleaning was like however running into the cleaners in the hallway, they seemed friendly enough.

The front counter women were rude and you could tell they were just there counting down the clock to home time. I did not feel welcome.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

First of all on Collins Street there is no reception. The room key has to be picked up from Carlton which is a bit of a walk with luggage.

The quality of the room was pretty good, neat, small and has just what you need. The bathroom is very tiny but modern looking. Not much natural light gets into the apartment though.

I used an entertainment card and received a discount for 3 nights.
On the second day, we were woken up to a phone call and knock on the door. We were then told that check out was on that day when in fact, I had booked for one more night.
Because I had received the discount, they thought I hadn't paid enough. No one contacted me about the mistake, so I thought it had been sorted.

On the day of check out, an extra $150 had been taken out of my account without my knowledge. I called them and they then again said I hadn't paid enough. I explained again and was told it would take 7 to 10 days for a refund.

I sent a long email and got a one sentence reply 4 days later saying the money would be refunded by the end of the week. No apologies made.

Overall, I did think the quality of apartments was good but the service was not.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Only annoyance is no reception have collect keys at other hotel, only a few minutes away.
Hotel is in a great spot, right near cafes, shops and trams..
Rooms are nice size with kitchen utilities. Tv needs to be fixed only getting one channel.

• Stayed June 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Started off not so good as the apartment I booked was not as I was told it would be (can't do stairs and we were downstairs and had to walk up to the floor above for the lift) however when I pointed this out we were relocated to a super apartment on a level with the lift. It was immaculate and well appointed with a good variety of cooking equipment. Had an en-suite as well as another full bathroom and two bedrooms with really comfortable beds. Soundproof so no outside noise. Central to trams and main shopping area. Only drawback was having to uplift the key from two blocks away. Not good when you arrive in on a late night flight, but a small inconvenience for the comfort we gained.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed at Plum for 3 nights. Everything was absolutely immaculate with top of the range appliances, not to mention the best shower ever. Was very suprised to see after booking an extra bed and expecting a trundle bed to use in the lounge room instead an extra bedroom with single roller bed! Beds were also extremely comfortable. Great affordable price in absolute central location. Loved it and will be definitely staying again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Wellington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Staying in Collins Street was really handy to everything that we wanted to visit in Melbourne.
Apartment was clean and tidy however getting the key was a pain but we knew that when we booked.
Noisy people in the abatement above for a few nights and was about to call the manager however they moved on.
Decided to extend our stay which wasn't a problem and the staff were friendly when we called.
Great views from the apartment and it was great to be able to sit outside in the evening.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

About Us: We are a couple aged 27 & 31. Enjoy nice accommodation and amenities when we travel - however we are not usually overly picky when it comes to reviews

We travelled over to Melbourne for Melbourne Cup so accommodation was pretty full.... had looked at some 5 star hotel however they were booked... we we ended up booked Plum apartments due to the location - and figured we would not spent much time here

Hotel Pros:

1) Really wonderful location - central - easy to come and go as you please was a real bonus, would really suit the independant traveller not looking for full on service.

2) Price not to steep - and has all the amenities you need really - with a good size kitchen

Hotel Cons:

1) Whist they do advertise that you need to collect the key from another building... if you arrive late in the day like we did it is a real hassle... one you would almost certainly do without

2) They advertise these as serviced apartments... however part of our stay was over the weekend... and there was no service to be seen... no change of towels... no emptying of the rubbish bins... pretty slack really. They do jack all really.. and to be honest the cleaning side of things is pretty poor. It pretty much amounts to emptying rubbish bin and if you are lucky a few new towels.

3) rock hard bed and pillows

Would I stay here again .. no. I would just book earlier in advance and pay the extra money to stay somewhere better. However if you are just looking for a place to crash and you get a cheap deal it would not really matter....

I would reccomend this place to younger groups/ friends that are wanting a place to stay during a night out in Melboune

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Plum Serviced Apartments Collins Street? Share your experiences!