“Really good apartments in a great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Milano Serviced Apartments

Save Saved
You added Milano Serviced Apartments to your Saves list
Milano Serviced Apartments
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   8 Franklin St, Melbourne, Victoria 3001, Australia (Formerly Clarion Suites)   |
Ranked #6 of 28 Melbourne B&B and Inns
“Really good apartments in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed overnight in a 1 bedroom apartment. The location is fabulous - a few minutes from the CBD, Victoria Market, cafes etc but is in a quiet street. It had everything I needed, and it was very clean - always a bonus! The bed was really comfortable, so was the couch (which is often not the case!). There was a window that could be opened for air flow which lets noise in, but it's nice to have the option. The apartment was prett small but as I as by myself that wasn't an issue. I'd definitely consider staying there as a couple anyway, because I don't usually spend long periods inside anyway. The carparking was right next door for an additional cost of $21/night, but at least they don't charge you per exit/entry like some car parks do. I really liked these apartments and will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room which for once I got. It was away from most other rooms and the elevators...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed in a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment during our week long stay in Melbourne.

Pros:
- The apartment is well located. It is within a 5 mins walking distance to Queen Victoria Market and close walking distances to CBD and the various places of interest. Franklin Street is also has a lot of car rental companies, so that makes renting a car very convenient.
- The apartment was well furnished and very comfortable. The sofa in the living room can be pulled out to form a sofa bed. It suited our purposes well but some may find it a bit cramped and difficult as there was only one bathroom. If space is an issue, I would suggest to book the 2 bedroom 2 bathroom unit as that is much bigger.

Cons:
- Whilst the apartment is well stocked (e.g. kitchen, ironing board etc), we were only provided with soaps in the bathroom. At the very least, we expected shampoo. So for those who are staying soon, please remember to bring along your shampoos/conditioners and any other toiletries.
- There are no black out blinds for the windows, which makes it hard to sleep in as the sun shines in quite early in the morning (as we stayed during Spring).

All in all, the whole family enjoyed our stay in Milano and would consider booking it again for our next trip to Melbourne.

Room Tip: Request for higher floors if you don't want noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I would definitely recommend a stay here.

We stayed here in a 2 bedroom apartment for one night and while the floorplan is compact, the layout is excellent and the decor both in the room and the common areas is new and ultra modern. Couldn't fault the cleanliness either. Might get a bit claustrophobic with too many people (there was only 2 of us).

The small balcony with full sliding door was a lovely surprise (I'm one of those people that loves fresh air and hates hermetically sealed hotel rooms).

The kitchen is one of the best I've seen in a serviced apartment (if not the biggest) with full sized gas stove and electric oven that appear brand new, it also has an almost full sized fridge, a microwave, a dishwasher and a functional layout. You might struggle to cater for 20 people, but for everyday meals it would be no problem at all.

The bedrooms are a decent size with a queen bed in each (i.e: you can walk around the bed easily...), and the bathroom is a good size too.

There was less noise than I would have expected for an inner city apartment, nothing from the hall, neighbours or street (at night anyway - there was a bit of road noise during the day), just the unavoidable hum of all the A/C units across town.

Parking is in the building and easy, just pull up out the front to check in and grab the door remote to get into the garage.

The staff on the front desk were all really friendly, cheerful, efficient and helpful - top marks for service.

The two downsides aren't show-stoppers: it's a good thing I didn't want to watch TV because the 2 sets were about 22-24 inches and could be mistaken for computer monitors. A bit surprising given the rest of the fit out. There also weren't any toiletries (except cakes of soap), but that is likely to have been a rushed housekeeping oversight. Again, nothing dramatic.

I managed to get this room for AUD150 including parking, so it was AMAZING value compared to the apartments/hotels I usually stay in for work in Melbourne (which are OK on the outside but actually daggy, threadbare, grumpy-slow-staffed and more expensive).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

As everybody had reviewed, rooms were small by service apartment standards. We stayed at the 2 bedroom apartment and we had to change the way the living room was arranged in order to fit our luggage. The apartment does fit our 3 adults and 2 kids comfortably during our stay.

Location was great as it was near to QVM and also Aldi next door. The shopping area, Melbourne Museum and free tram was also a short walk (10-15 mins) walk away.

The heating however was not properly planned in our apartment. We had to rely on the aircond that serves duo function - heater and air conditioning, for heating so it became either very hot or very cold in the living room. The master bedroom was also very cold, probably due to the big glass window that was not efficient in keeping heat in and cold out.

I like the kitchen, well equipped, and also the washing machine.. We hang our clothes to dry as per recommendations of many.

Douglas, the staff at the reception during night shift was extremely helpful. He also helped us to ring for taxi several times and updated us on the availability of cabs, unlike other receptionists. He also helped to replace broken pan and repaired the telephone in our apartment.Thumbs up Douglas!

The rest of the staffs were pretty cold and unfriendly. One actually told us off for sitting at the edge of the fountain in the reception area.. I saw this happened a couple of times and if you do not allow people to sit at the edge (which is ridiculous by the way) you should have put a sign there! It was not a good experience to have people telling you that they cant sit somewhere when there was no signage regarding this.

Overall, quite a good 7 day stay experience. would recommend due to location and price, but not staff courtesy..

Room Tip: Higher floor seems to be better option
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed in 2 bedroom, one bathroom, apartment on 14th floor.

Furnishings looked the same as pictures on website. Dishwasher drawer and washing machine in kitchen. Shower over bath. Comfortable bedding with clean sheets. Plenty of towels & handwashers. Small tv in main bedroom. 2nd bedroom had no windows.

Lovely view south over city, including of RMIT buildings next door.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed a couple nights on business and I would have preferred to be at a "typical" hotel. First off, the internet service sucks. It was very slow and did not work well with the VPN I needed to connect to which affected the amount of work I could do from my room. I also prefer a hotel for the convenience of a lobby with restaurant/bar and less the feeling of long term housing for short business trips. Having said that, the location is good being close to the market and the amenities are good as well. The kitchen provides the ability to cook on stove or in the microwave and also has a good size fridge. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are a bit small and not all laid out well; I've stayed here a few times and this time the closet was hard to get to as the bed was very close to it.

Overall I'd say it's a decent place for longer business trips, but for shorter ones less convenient.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My wife and I booked a two bedroom apartment for three nights in what was described by the hotel as a 'spacious 2 bedroom apartment'. I had read comments on Trip Advisor suggesting the apartments were very small but I was totally unprepared for what we found once we got inside the front door. To say I couldn't 'swing a cat' would be generous - the 'footprint' of living / kitchen area wasn't much bigger than a caravan. Of the two bedrooms, one had two single beds and some cupboard space but the venetian blinds were all bent of shape and our daughter was not able to keep the daylight out of the room. The other room had a king size bed that filled the entire room. There was a space of maybe 30 cms between the bed and the wall, no windows and no cupboards at all in the room. We ended up storing our luggage in the small living area. There was a two-way bathroom between the two bedrooms and a single front loading washer/tumble dryer that you will need a mechanical engineering degree to operate. The 'quick start' instructions the hotel provided were for another machine, presumably replaced by the newer machine in the apartment. The apartment itself was cold and uninviting - every wall was bare and a few pictures would not have gone astray. After my wife found the bedroom hadn't been cleaned properly she'd had enough and went down to reception to complain. Reception promised to send up a cleaner but one never arrived.

On the upside, the receptionist had been understanding and invited us to move to a larger room the next day. The second room was on the 22nd floor and is what I was expecting from the start - it was 'spacious', had two bathrooms, wonderful night time views of the city so we did finish off our long weekend on a high note. If you need carparking prepare to pay $21 a day - certainly adds up to make it an expensive stay. I'm not sure what Victorian Fire Safety Reg's state, but there were no fire evacuation drawings in either apartment so it pays to note your nearest fire exits. The location was great, a block or two from the Quenn Victoria Martkets and a 15 min walk to Flinders St Station. Plenty of restaurant's everywhere so finding a good reasonably priced meal is a given.

Room Tip: The room descriptions are pretty much the same when reading off the website. We were happy once we w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Milano Serviced Apartments? Share your experiences!