“super clean, super central. A great Melbourne option.” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book Direct & Save 10%
Ranked #73 of 173 Hotels in Melbourne
sydney australia
“super clean, super central. A great Melbourne option.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

Located in Market st the Oaks sits just off Collins, a quick few blocks from Bourke St, and a short stroll to SouthBank.

I pre-booked thru the net. Check-in was swift and simple (perhaps lacking a little warmth but hey, it isn't the Plaza). The room and location made up for that.

My studio room was on 18th floor with fab views out across SouthBank area and beyond. Super clean and spacious, with a couch/living area, which is great for resting feet between shopping trips. By the look of things, the room and facilities have been updated within last 6-12mths, including the nice flat screen TV in room. Not sure why hotels continue to install fabric covered headboards though, noted a few stains there already.
I found the room to be quiet and felt secure.

Other facilities: The choice of in-house movies on demand was up to date with what was showing at cinema. I made use of the indoor basement pool too, which was clean.
Used room service twice during my stay, the menu was standard fare but good quality, tasty and fast.

I'll definitely use the Oaks chain again if the rates stay reasonable.

NB: Met a fellow traveller at the conference I was attending who stayed at Oaks on Collins. sounded just as good in terms of facilities. will try there is Market is ever booked out when Im next in town.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

This was our first visit to Melbourne, and staying at the Oaks on Market made the whole trip very enjoyable..

Upon check-in, the staff was friendly and helpful. We left our luggage with the front desk as our studio room was not ready. We went out and explored the city for the afternoon and found the location of this hotel to be superb. It is easily accessible to tram stops, buses, major streets, shopping malls, Southbank etc., everything feel really close by.

But when we got to our room, we were pleasantly surprised at the cleaniness and the facilities available. The studio room had a spacious bathroom, a kitchen (no dishwasher or conventional oven), a sofa, LCD TV, well-sized wardrobe. There wasn't much of a view, but we were not fuss about this. There wasn't a washing machine but there is common laundry downstairs.

The Pool, spa and sauna facility is by far the best we've seen in any inner city apartments. It's modern and clean... just great!

All in all, given we stayed there at a discounted rate, Oaks on Market was great value for money. Anyone visiting Melbourne should have this on their accomodation shortlist.

• Liked — Location, cleaniness, value
  • Disliked — Internet charges, some faulty gym equipment.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Zurich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

I stayed in the Oaks over Christmas and had a suite which was really spacious. There where sort of 3 reason to go with them:
The Pool and Spa, though I never used it, the location was great as it was not far from the main center away, nothing was really far away and the last thing was the kitchenette, which I used every day.
The price of the breakfast was really good, compared to other hotels I had stayed at the weeks before and it was ok.
The staff was as mentioned somewhat stuck to their computers a lot of the times.
The room was clean even dishes where done when forgotten by me.
I hardly used the public transportation, as you could reach a lot of the attraction via foot, even walking over to the MCG which only took 20 minutes on Boxing Day to see the Boxing Day Cricket match.
I had a pleasant stay and the room was also quiet.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Munich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

My wife and I spent four nights in the Oaks. Apart from the shower taps - a bane of anyone's life these days, but particularly gruesome in the case of this hotel - the Oaks was up to the promised standard. But somehow it's a rather lifeless place, with staff at reception glued to their computer screens and a very plasticy breakfast room. Where's the famed Australian "no worries mate" camaraderie?

• Liked — Central location
  • Disliked — No character
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

I stayed at Oaks on Market from Jan 1-7 2009 with my sister for a shopping holiday.

We had a studio room on the 10th floor (room 1004) that was spacious and had everything we needed for our stay.

The living room doubles as a bedroom but it was not at all cramped like a hotel room. There was lots of space to move around.

The kitchenette was great. We didn't cook, but had breakfast in the room each morning. Housekeeping even do your dishes :) The kitchenette is really well stocked. It has everything but an oven and dishwasher.

This hotel is really well located. Market Street is a small street between Collins and Flinders Streets, so it's a lot more quiet than them with no traffic noise, but it's only a 5 min walk to the Bourke St Mall and 5-10 min across a bridge to Southbank.

The hotel also has a heated pool and spa, which was one of the main reasons we booked here, but we only ended up using it one night.

We booked through the Entertainment Book and saved about $20 a night on the wotif rate. It worked out to be about $127 for the room per night. I thought this was great value for a new room in the Melbourne CBD.

If you're going to the DFO in Spencer Street Station in the city I recommend eating (dessert) at the Chocolate Lounge at the top of the escalators. It was divine!!!

• Liked — The room was spacious and modern
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

We stayed at the Oaks on Market for 3 days in Mid-December. We enjoyed our stay and would certainly return. The hotel itself is very modern and impressive. Although we didn't make much use of them, the facilities (pool, spa, gym) also looked top-notch. We booked a studio apartment and, at the time of booking, I had asked for a room on an upper level. This was cheerily accomodated by the hotel and the room itself was impressive. Very large and spacious, it had everything we needed, including small kitchenette, and living space. The only issue we had - and a relatively small one - was that we found ourselves in a room with internal door linking to the next room. On one occasion, this meant that we could hear the next room's tv at a reasonable volume. That said, a small inconvenience and easily gotten around by asking for a room with no connecting doors. Location wise, the hotel was extremely well-placed. Close enough to the central CBD that we could be at the Bourke Street Mall within 5 to 10 minutes, and yet far enough away that we were spared any traffic or tram noises. It is also well placed for quick trips to Crown Casino and Southbank. We would definitely stay here again - either for business or pleasure.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Connecting doors
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Christchurch, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

Booked well in advance and requested a river view, was told it was not guaranteed. Emailed to say we'd be there early but never got areply.
Arrived early and was told as expected that our room wasn't ready, that I felt was fairly standard and as we could leave our bags there it was no big deal and we could carry on with our day.
I asked if we had got a room with a view and was surprised to be told that even at 10am they did not know what room we would be having as things change all the time ! ( no comment)
Went back at 3pm to be given our room key and luggage in the lobby, as they didn't mention the view I guessed it did not have a view and was found to be correct.
The rooms are very basic and although they are self contained most of the cupboards in the kitchen area were to high to reach and even my partner had to stand on a chair to reach the plates.
The bathroom door opens into the centre of the bathroom and is mostly just in the way. The shower is over the bath and is danger in my opinion, as you have to climb into the bath to turn on the taps if you want a bath.
As the place is advertised as a hotel and apartments I expected the servicing to be the same as in a hotel, but was wrong.
The housemaids came in each day, made the bed but left the dishes, and as it was to high for me to put them away, I wondered if some of them had the same issue.They also didn't clean the bath after it had been used, I noticed pink mould around some of the tiles. Also on our thrid day, there were sheets left on a chair, I'm not sure if they wanted us to change the bed or whether they just forgot them, but they also stayed there until we left 2 nights later.
I left a bulb beside a beside lamp that wasn't working and it sat there for 3 days until I aksed at reception for it to be changed.
I also called down stairs about the phone not wokring and they sent a guy up immediately who agreed it was indeed not working and he would lodge the fault, at the end of our stay it still had not been exchanged.
The reception staff we not friendly , but nor were they rude. I just think they had more to do than help guests.
I did asked for some info on the tram and what I was given was incorrect, so I by passed them for any other needs.
The entrance to the hotel was also the smoking area which made it unpleasent to move through without holding your breath
The internet is the most expensive I have encountered and the room service really isn't room service at all as it is only available during normal evening meal times and is limited..
I think the Oaks should stick to calling itself 'Servced apartments' not a hotel and is lacks the finer points and falls down in services.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Oaks on Market? Share your experiences!