“Had a good stay” 4 of 5 stars

You added Oaks on Market to your Saves list
Oaks on Market
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   60 Market Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Stay 3 Nights & Save 15%!
Ranked #71 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Zurich
“Had a good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

I stayed in the Oaks over Christmas and had a suite which was really spacious. There where sort of 3 reason to go with them:
The Pool and Spa, though I never used it, the location was great as it was not far from the main center away, nothing was really far away and the last thing was the kitchenette, which I used every day.
The price of the breakfast was really good, compared to other hotels I had stayed at the weeks before and it was ok.
The staff was as mentioned somewhat stuck to their computers a lot of the times.
The room was clean even dishes where done when forgotten by me.
I hardly used the public transportation, as you could reach a lot of the attraction via foot, even walking over to the MCG which only took 20 minutes on Boxing Day to see the Boxing Day Cricket match.
I had a pleasant stay and the room was also quiet.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo

569 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Munich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

My wife and I spent four nights in the Oaks. Apart from the shower taps - a bane of anyone's life these days, but particularly gruesome in the case of this hotel - the Oaks was up to the promised standard. But somehow it's a rather lifeless place, with staff at reception glued to their computer screens and a very plasticy breakfast room. Where's the famed Australian "no worries mate" camaraderie?

• Liked — Central location
  • Disliked — No character
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

I stayed at Oaks on Market from Jan 1-7 2009 with my sister for a shopping holiday.

We had a studio room on the 10th floor (room 1004) that was spacious and had everything we needed for our stay.

The living room doubles as a bedroom but it was not at all cramped like a hotel room. There was lots of space to move around.

The kitchenette was great. We didn't cook, but had breakfast in the room each morning. Housekeeping even do your dishes :) The kitchenette is really well stocked. It has everything but an oven and dishwasher.

This hotel is really well located. Market Street is a small street between Collins and Flinders Streets, so it's a lot more quiet than them with no traffic noise, but it's only a 5 min walk to the Bourke St Mall and 5-10 min across a bridge to Southbank.

The hotel also has a heated pool and spa, which was one of the main reasons we booked here, but we only ended up using it one night.

We booked through the Entertainment Book and saved about $20 a night on the wotif rate. It worked out to be about $127 for the room per night. I thought this was great value for a new room in the Melbourne CBD.

If you're going to the DFO in Spencer Street Station in the city I recommend eating (dessert) at the Chocolate Lounge at the top of the escalators. It was divine!!!

• Liked — The room was spacious and modern
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

We stayed at the Oaks on Market for 3 days in Mid-December. We enjoyed our stay and would certainly return. The hotel itself is very modern and impressive. Although we didn't make much use of them, the facilities (pool, spa, gym) also looked top-notch. We booked a studio apartment and, at the time of booking, I had asked for a room on an upper level. This was cheerily accomodated by the hotel and the room itself was impressive. Very large and spacious, it had everything we needed, including small kitchenette, and living space. The only issue we had - and a relatively small one - was that we found ourselves in a room with internal door linking to the next room. On one occasion, this meant that we could hear the next room's tv at a reasonable volume. That said, a small inconvenience and easily gotten around by asking for a room with no connecting doors. Location wise, the hotel was extremely well-placed. Close enough to the central CBD that we could be at the Bourke Street Mall within 5 to 10 minutes, and yet far enough away that we were spared any traffic or tram noises. It is also well placed for quick trips to Crown Casino and Southbank. We would definitely stay here again - either for business or pleasure.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Connecting doors
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Christchurch, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

Booked well in advance and requested a river view, was told it was not guaranteed. Emailed to say we'd be there early but never got areply.
Arrived early and was told as expected that our room wasn't ready, that I felt was fairly standard and as we could leave our bags there it was no big deal and we could carry on with our day.
I asked if we had got a room with a view and was surprised to be told that even at 10am they did not know what room we would be having as things change all the time ! ( no comment)
Went back at 3pm to be given our room key and luggage in the lobby, as they didn't mention the view I guessed it did not have a view and was found to be correct.
The rooms are very basic and although they are self contained most of the cupboards in the kitchen area were to high to reach and even my partner had to stand on a chair to reach the plates.
The bathroom door opens into the centre of the bathroom and is mostly just in the way. The shower is over the bath and is danger in my opinion, as you have to climb into the bath to turn on the taps if you want a bath.
As the place is advertised as a hotel and apartments I expected the servicing to be the same as in a hotel, but was wrong.
The housemaids came in each day, made the bed but left the dishes, and as it was to high for me to put them away, I wondered if some of them had the same issue.They also didn't clean the bath after it had been used, I noticed pink mould around some of the tiles. Also on our thrid day, there were sheets left on a chair, I'm not sure if they wanted us to change the bed or whether they just forgot them, but they also stayed there until we left 2 nights later.
I left a bulb beside a beside lamp that wasn't working and it sat there for 3 days until I aksed at reception for it to be changed.
I also called down stairs about the phone not wokring and they sent a guy up immediately who agreed it was indeed not working and he would lodge the fault, at the end of our stay it still had not been exchanged.
The reception staff we not friendly , but nor were they rude. I just think they had more to do than help guests.
I did asked for some info on the tram and what I was given was incorrect, so I by passed them for any other needs.
The entrance to the hotel was also the smoking area which made it unpleasent to move through without holding your breath
The internet is the most expensive I have encountered and the room service really isn't room service at all as it is only available during normal evening meal times and is limited..
I think the Oaks should stick to calling itself 'Servced apartments' not a hotel and is lacks the finer points and falls down in services.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
CSquaredC2
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

Using wotif to book this hotel, I found a deal for about A$140/night, which seemed to be a bargain for the season. It's a great location, within an easy walking distance to Federation Square, the Visitors Information Center, shopping and public transportation - all are reachable within a 5 - 10 minute walk.

I requested a high-floor and received one with no problems. The rooms were modern, the bed was very comfortable, flat screen TV, and it came with a little kitchenette area (microwave, little refrigerator, stove top, etc). It also had a leather couch that folded out to a bed. It also had a very nice fitness center (as compared to most hotels) and a nice pool and hot tub area.

I saw some previous concerns about the slowness of the elevators and TV usage. The TV was a little tricky to figure it out, but once you understand it, it's not a big deal. And I didn't personally experience any issues with the elevator.

There is no ATM in the building, but there are some that are close by, as there is also a 7-Eleven, IGA Supermarket and Post Office within walking distance. I didn't eat at any of the hotel restaraunts.

Internet usage is expensive - I think it was 55 cents/minute up to A$29 for a 24-hour period.

The staff was decent, not necessarily the most helpful or overly friendly, but it was fine. As for the deal I got and the comfort of the room, I thought this was a great hotel. I would consider this again.

• Liked — Location and the price compared to other hotels
  • Disliked — Cost of Internat access
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2008

The Oaks on Market hotel is located in downtown Melbourne, and was very convenient to everything we needed and/or wanted to see. The hotel is very well appointed, with a nice lobby area and friendly staff.

The room is large and comfy and decorated very modern style. We had a nice queen sized bed with great linens and pillows. There was a small couch for sitting, and a small desk for working on, as well as a small kitchen area great for business travelers. The flat screen television was small and hard to work. Just keep pressing buttons until it comes on and works.

My only issue with the room was the shower. The shower was awful. Very reminiscent of Europe, the shower didn't have a shower curtain but rather a one-panel glass wall that didn't span the length of the tub/shower. This allowed water to go every where in the bathroom, as well as allowed all the heat to escape the shower area leaving you cold while in the shower. The shower head is suppose to be "modern" but it was only useless. It looked like a pipe sticking out of the wall, and it kinda sprays water at you. Being tall, you can't stand under it and the water comes out odd because it sprays straight down. I didn't like the shower at all.

There was no hotel parking for the car, nor was there a place to roll your suit case up the stairs to the lobby area from outside. You have to carry them up the stairs. And there isn't a front-door man to help you.

• Liked — The rooms were very comfortable
  • Disliked — The shower
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Oaks on Market? Share your experiences!