“Basically Good” 4 of 5 stars

You added Oaks on Market to your Saves list
Oaks on Market
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   60 Market Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Stay 3 Nights & Save 15%!
Ranked #68 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Malaysia
“Basically Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We were happy getting what we requested for- adjoining rooms and at least one with two single beds. Rooms were spacious and clean but shower gel was not supplied, only soap. No bathroom slippers either.

Staff are not the friendly type but very efficient- looked overworked. Marco, the waiter at the Alexis restaurant, where we had our breakfasts, was very attentive.

Location is great. It is convenient yet not too close to where the action (noise) is. Highly recommended for short stays.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

568 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed for 9 days in mid August. A bit disappointed because there were no porters to assist with luggage. Its ok if traveling on business or traveling light, but as we were traveling from overseas and staying for 9 days had a bit of luggage. However, pleasant and polite receptionists who were always helpful. Me and a friend stayed in the 1 bedroomed apartment which was spacious and clean. However if you are a light sleeper do ask for a room away from the lifts or on a higher floor. Our apartment was across from the lifts and was quite noisy. We did ask for another room and were moved to a higher floor and even though it was still across from the lifts, being on a higher floor, room was MUCH quieter.This room was also spacious and clean, comfortable bed, flat screen TV. Nice bathroom, however there was a slight problem with the hot water in the shower. When putting water on (separate taps for shower), would take a while for the hot water to come on, and then when it came on got a heat blast! Kitchen was great and well equipped as we didn't want to eat out all the time. The apartment was serviced every day to an excellent standard. Other reviewers talked about problems with the air conditioning, but we had no trouble with it. In fact the apartment was lovely and warm as the Melbourne weather was a bit cold during our stay. The Oaks on Market had a gym and swimming pool, which were both well maintained. Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks on Market, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks on Market. It is great to read that you were able to move to a quieter room on a high level. We are pleased you found the room well equipped and spacious In regard to the porter service, as we are self contained apartments, we do not provide porter/concierge services, we apologise for any inconvenienced caused. We do hope you will choose to stay with Oaks Hotels and Resorts again.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed two nights recently at Oaks in one bedroom studio apartment. Very clean with large bathroom, no noise although I wasn't near the lifts. I did overhear someone at reception asking to be moved due to lift noise. Close to transport and shopping. I arrived around 9.00pm after an interstate flight, when I got to the room, opened the fridge intending to have a drink and the fridge is empty. If you want any 'mini-bar' supplies you need to order them from room service with minimum spend of $20. I ordered some room service and got 2 drinks with that, very prompt and food was ok. Put tray outside room as requested and it will still there at 8.00am the next morning - not a good look. Also like of information about hotel is disappointing, yes I got a document at checkin which gave me some basics - but didn't tell me anything about breakfast/resturants etc - nor was any of this information in the dining menu. Overall ok but have certainly stayed in better - brushing up on the small things will improve hotel and experience

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks on Market. It is great to read that you found your apartment to be clean, quiet and spacious. I will pass your comments onto the Hotel Manager in regards to the mini bar, room service try and lack of information for immediate attention and consideration. We do hope you will choose to stay with Oaks Hotels and Resorts again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at the Oaks on Market twice in one week. The first from Friday to Sunday in a King Studio apartment. Very clean and comfy with a huge bathroom. We drove down to the South for 4 days and came back for a 4 night stay in a 1 bedroom apartment. Again very clean and comfortable and had no problems with street noise on the 4th floor. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Some toiletries provided: shampoo, conditioner and body lotion but I always take my own anyway. Tea and coffee provided and topped up everyday. There is a restaurant downstairs where we dined once for dinner. Well priced and good food. Had a buffet breakfast on our last morning which was good value. They had an advertised special for breakfast if you paid at the reception desk so saved a few dollars also. There is happy hour on an advertised evening at the bar and other specials too. We had meals at the bar on two ooccasionsa - again great food and nice surroundings. My only fault at each stay was the air conditioning in the rooms. You could only change it within a few degreeset which I know is common at some accommodation but I found it too stuffy especially during the night. Other than that it is in a great location for Etihad stadium and around the corner from the tram that will take you to the MCG.

Room Tip: If you are only there for a few days a King Studio is more than adequate - very roomy.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks on Market. It is wonderful to read that on both occasions we were able to provide you rooms which you were impressed with. We are pleased you found the location of our hotel convenient to your needs and were able to take advantage of our buffet breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Footy weekend , we were in room 709 2 bedroom Appartment / view ok , 3 guys so 1 twin plus queen room , information provided by hotel correct , rooms clean and not that tired as quite a few Appartments are , good position , transport easy- trams all very close , Train stations also a short walking distance away Flinders and Spencer st stn the latter is Skybus depot from Airport
Air con a bit noisey , good cooking space if needed (2 bed appartment)
Would stay again and recommend to others , but as stated by others do your homework and check around for prices very competertive

Room Tip: Go for the better rooms , the higher the better , we faced front rhs view ok
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Hotel is clean and spacious but surprise that some of the basic amenities such as bedroom slippers, toothbrush and toothpaste were not available. Buffet breakfast is quite nice but it is the same everyday. If you are considering whether to include buffet breakfast in your booking (with additional charge), my suggestion is not to as you can just pay for it for one of the days that you feel like having it. Besides, there are many nice cafes round the corner that is within walking distance.

Overall, it is a pleasant stay but it is more like a motel. Anw, I will probably not return if I am visiting Melbourne again it is not "super-worth" for the price that you are paying for per night.

Room Tip: I read on tripadvisor to get a room at higher levels as the view is better but it was a company trip...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks on Market, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks on Market. It is great to read that you found our hotel to be spacious and clean. As we are serviced apartments, we do not offer amenities like slippers, toothbrush and toothpaste. We apologise this was not communicated with you clearly upon booking. We do hope you will choose to stay with Oaks Hotels and Resorts again soon.
Perth - Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

What do you do when travelling with others when they make a booking before you then tell you where they are staying?

All good and true to it's word - you search the internet and plough through the websites to get the best deal...My friends had booked the Oaks on Market and deservedly so after having stayed there on previous visits to Melbourne. They had booked at a nightly rate of $170 for a Studio Stay offer. I trolled through the search engines provided by Tripadvisor and was unable to obtain the same nightly rate.

I thought I'd try my luck and sent off an email direct to the Hotel trying to get the same or if not similar rate as my friends - ah that was no good - their response was - yes you can have a booking at $259 per night. Ouch!! There goes the Oaks.....

It's Melbourne for goodness sake there are many options available. However, I had a small issue, I was travelling with a teenager and so were my friends.

So, on the same day as getting my email response from the Hotel (@$259 a night) and after some grumbling with the family I was searching for hotels in the vicinity of the Oaks when a re-visit to the "Rates to Go" website provided me a new advertised rate of staying at the Oaks for $169 per night. Yee harr, I'm in - I happily booked three nights in a Studio Room.

Arrival. Nothing out of the usual. Please fill this form in, can we have a copy/imprint of your credit card and bingo - you are provided with your electronic key. Take the lift to your floor from the lifts to your left...no sooner done and dusted and you are in your room.

Room. Yes, it was a Studio with small kitchenette and a queen sized bed. All clean and very comfortable. If your a light sleeper and I am - our room was situated directly around the elevators...hmm....I'll let you do the math on that one.

Problem. Yes - where was the Hotel directory? I searched high and low and just couldn't find one. Then I thought maybe I'm old fashioned - they might not have them anymore...what did this hotel have to offer? At the end of my three nights - I still didn't know. Yes, I could have asked the reception - but you have to remember - not everybody will annoy the staff on reception with "What does the Hotel have to offer? Where is so and so???" when you don't know what so and so is.

I'm not certain if the Bar situated on the premises is linked, so do not rely on it to get a drink after 10.15pm. "I'm sorry sir, the bar is closed." Are you kidding me? This is Melbourne. Two nights in a row and both after the football.....not happy Jan!

Breakfast: Yes, had the buffet breakfast at the Hotel. Nothing to rant and rave nor anything to write home about...it was a typical Hotel buffet breakfast.

Overall the Oaks on Market is well located - a short walk from the Tourist Shuttle with good clean modern rooms. At $259 a night - I'm lucky I didn't have to pay it...I was luck at $169...as I said..do your research.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks on Market, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks on Market. It is great to read that you found your Studio to be clean and comfortable and that you were able to get a good rate. In regards to the Hotel Directory, guests are given a property information fact sheet on arrival and larger more detailed folders are available at reception if requested. We do hope you will choose to stay at an Oaks Hotels and Resorts property again in the future.

Been to Oaks on Market? Share your experiences!