“I would not stay here again - even if you paid me” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sophia

You added Hotel Sophia to your Saves list
Hotel Sophia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   277 King Street | Box 14116, Melbourne, Victoria 8001, Australia   |
Ranked #127 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane, Australia
“I would not stay here again - even if you paid me”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

Poor customer service; when we arrived at the hotel we weren't even greeted properly - just left waiting for at 5-10 minutes while people on reception made phone calls. Then the card for the car park didn't work, so we had to walk back to the hotel to get a new one. We went out for a nice, relaxing afternoon then returned and got our room card from reception and - would you believe it - the card didn't work, so we had to return to reception again. The room was clean and comfortable, with adequate facilities. However, the window needs double glazing and the walls need to be more than paper thin, as we could hear all noise from outside during the night and people in the room next to us in the morning. We were so relieved when we checked out!!! But alas, that was not the end of the dramas. A couple of days AFTER we left the hotel, they mysteriously took $150 from our bank account!!!
We booked knowing that we were paying a discounted rate and therefore weren't expecting the Hilton, but come on, this hotel is a joke.
Maybe they should spend their advertising budget on improving the hotel.....

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

We stayed 4 nights from 2nd February. We were a little unsure after reading some of the previous reviews but we were pleasantly suprised with the hotel.We arrived early , before check in time and our room was ready for us, we found it be very clean and were supplied with clean towels, coffee, milk etc every day. We had absolutely no noise problem at all from other rooms or traffic and the location was great apart from being in the red light district . (We were not bothered by that at all and maybe because it was mid-week we saw no girls and only one bouncer the whole time we were there). It is very handy to the free tram and certainly within walking distance to the city. We are going back to Melbourne in April and will definately be booking in to Hotel Sophia for this visit.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

This is a very dodgy and badly managed hotel - do not stay here! And what ever you do not give them your credit card details!

I gave my credit card as security only - the deal on the contract I accepted was pay on arrival. Subsequently they charged me over a month before I arrived for the full accommodation for the 6 friends I was staying with.

I was furious that such a large amount was charged to my credit card with no notice - it was hugely inconvenient. On bringing this up with staff they literally told me “its too bad, its been done now” and to "go away".

The staff are either rude, utterly disinterested or lack any knowledge of the hotels procedure or Melbourne.

The security in this hotel is also appalling – situated in a red light district, just doors down from brothels and strip clubs, the main entrance is open 24/7 with no one sitting on the reception desk in the evening! Any one can use the lifts or staircase and access any floor of the hotel – no access or security cards needed! The hotel lobby also provides a great place for strippers to hide from strange mean following them down the road after finishing their shifts at the clubs down the road!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Auckland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights and that was plenty!!
First off we turned up and found that, despite the print off confirmation we had for the stay stating that we wouldnt be charged till we checked in, they had charged all the stay to one credit card a week before we arrived!!! When we mentioned this we were told to go away as they were busy. This somewhat fraudulent use of a credit card didnt even seem to phase them.
One girl tried to help us but couldnt do anything about it.
The hotel is conveniently located to DFO shopping and tram station, as well as several gentlemen's clubs and strip joints!
Security in the hotel is a joke. There is no stopping anyone from just strolling into the hotel any time of day or night and no swipe card access for the elevator allowing just anyone to just wonder the hotel.
The girl who tried to help us (maybe the manager i think) was also the only one who seemed to have any knowledge of the surrounding area and how to get to places like Bridge Road and Chapel Street etc. the rest just looked at us blankly.
All in all not great for any real shopping or night life, unless you like strip clubs etc, and for the price the rooms were ok bathrooms - i have seen bigger wardrobes!!!
Would not be rushing back here again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Hobart, TAS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

Ok so here’s my warning, never stay at Hotel Sophia, steer clear altogether if you like your cash in your account. I made a booking to stay at this particular Hotel roughly a month ago now, after booking and providing my credit card details I was informed of the hotels reputation by a fellow work colleague and referred to TripAdvisor.com where I read some shocking reviews. I then revised my decision to stay at this Hotel and called up to cancel my booking (within the same day I had made it). The Manager of this hotel assured me that my booking had been cancelled and had caused them no inconvenience so no cancellation fees would apply. I then received confirmation via email and assumed all was sorted. Two days prior to the date I was due to stay (had I kept my booking), $109.00 was debited from my account by you guessed it Hotel Sophia, I phoned up, they apologised and said the money would be back in my account within 3 working days. The following day I checked my bank only to find another $250.00 and $150.00 had disappeared from my account in separate debits. I phoned up Hotel Sophia obviously furious, they admitted to the “error” and blamed it all on their “system.” The Manager, who has to be the most blasé, irritating, monotone, unfriendly & unhelpful person I’ve ever come across in my travels, she told me it was being sorted out but didn’t really seem to give a rats [--] about my concern for eating that week and paying the bills. $518 dollars is a lot of money for most, and to be without it due to a ridiculous Hotel you didn’t even stay at?!

Come on, I was and still am irate about it all.

All in all I have phoned Hotel Sophia in excess of 40 times (on my own time, using my phone credit, wasting my breath). Nearly a month on and I have received the initial $109.00 back but no sign of the $409.00 amount which clearly I would like to see back. I have reported Hotel Sophia to the Victorian Consumer Affairs Tribunal and the matter lies in their hands now. But please learn from my mistake and avoid this dodgy Hotel at all cost.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

After reading some of the below reviews, we were also very concerned about staying at this hotel. I never write reviews up on this website but I felt I had to make a particular exception for this hotel. We stayed at this hotel during the final weekend of the Australian Open. A busy weekend all over Melbourne. We were welcomed by very poilte and helpful staff. We were also pleasantly surprised by our room. We stayed in a triple room which was quite large and immaculately clean. Chocolates on the bed were a nice touch. There was also tea and coffee making facilities and a fridge. It was 40c that weekend and the aircon turned the room into an icebox. We did not notice any noise from adjacent rooms or outside. All in all we thought this hotel was a great find with many amenities (hot buffet breakfast) that you wouldnt expect from a budget hotel. I think that for the price, you get a lot more than you pay for at other hotels and other people would benefit from realising that you usually get what you pay for.

• Liked — clean room
  • Disliked — no late check out
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tenerife
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

We have just got back from staying 2 nights at this hotel. We were a bit concerned after reading some of the poor reviews on this site regarding this hotel, we nearly cancelled our booking but we didn't.

The hotel could not have been so different from the reviews, we were able to check-in early has our room was ready, the reception staff (new that day) was excellent. The hotel has been refurbished and it shows, clean smart and all rooms are non-smoking that was one of the reasons we booked it. Our standard room refurbished was clean bright King side bed which made the room look smaller, great shower, they even changed the towels the next day. Just need a mirror in the bedroom plenty of room for one (my wife likes full length mirrors, which I think most ladies like)

The plunger coffee in the room is excellent tastes like real coffee, water and milk in the fridge and replaced daily, infact we asked for more and it was no problem.

Breakfast which was included in the price was good, fresh eggs, bacon was not over cooked or dry and plenty of cereals to choose from.

The hotel has storage for baggage if you are early and your room is not ready, also if you want to stay in Melbourne late, which we did use so no problems there.

The only one problem is that the bar/cafe was closed for refurbishment, but there are many near by so did not cause us any problem but it would have been better if they told us when we booked and at check in.

So overall we had no problems as per the other the reviews, we think that the hotel has new management and most of the refurbishment is now done.

Would stay there again, good location on King Street not as noisy at night because it's just a few streets away from the main night life, but very close to the Vic Market which is a must to see.

Check it out for yourselves and book direct with the hotel on line.

So t

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Sophia? Share your experiences!