“Shoebox” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sophia

Save Saved
You added Hotel Sophia to your Saves list
Hotel Sophia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   277 King Street | Box 14116, Melbourne, Victoria 8001, Australia   |
Ranked #123 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney
“Shoebox”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

More like a backpacker hostel with single rooms.
Tiny tiny room with a double bed.
Everything cut down in size due to the lack of space.
Creaky corridors as is the case with really old hotels.
The single lift just looks like it is ready to give way.
Cheap. Rooms functional despite micro size.
Quiet enough in the room I had though.
Staff friendly and efficient. Location ok, but more on city edge, but ok for Southern Cross.
Once is enough. (no pool or gym) Bathroom was good though.
4 stars is generous. (3.6 about right)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Awesome location close to everything, friendly staff, great room with more extras than expected plus pub on site. Can't go past the $8 chicken parmy, chips and beer! Next time we're in Melbourne will definitely stay there again!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night, room was fine, bed good. Bathroom tiles dirty with mould. On arrival staff refused to accept cash for the $150 bond they demanded, they debited $300 from our credit card by mistake, swiped it twice!! Didn't acknowledge their error until check-out time next day. Then told us that it could be 5 days before the bond was refunded to our account, saying that we should fax our bank directly to facilitate and expedite the process!!! Staff were ok to deal with on a personal level, but were obviously forced to follow very unreasonable management requirements.
We have travelled extensively in Australia and throughout the world and have never encountered such intransigent treatment. We will never stay here again and will advise friends and associates not to stay here also!!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in hotel Sophia this week just to attend a fair. I booked the hotel just looking for a clean place in a central location for someone who is not familiar with Melbourne. I booked the hotel and I liked at trip advisor after I had booked it and got worried that I would then be disappointed not able to sleep with terrible service. To my surprise I found a great little city hotel, walking distance to southern cross station and to the exhibition centre where I was meant to go. It was clean and modern way beyond my expectations, the fact you could make different teas and coffee, with milk and coffee maker was a bonus.. The bathroom was spotless with fresh clean towels, nice little soaps and even a bathrobe. The breakfast in the morning exceeded my expectations as to be honest ... Not sure that it is the fact I'm from Sydney where everything is overpriced I would have never ever beyond my wildest dream have ever been able to book a room so good with bfast for this price in the Sydney CBD. I u d'état and some people complain about the noise here.., but if you think that is going to be an issue just ask for a room that doesn't face the main road. After all you are in the Melbournes CBD. I did wait for about 2 mins for someone to come to reception when I arrived, but then again I realised I'm not staying in the park royal so I would recommend this to anyone who wants value for money.

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Terrible, terrible service, terrible terrible food, terrible terrible room, still haven't received my deposit back after several months. Dirty, horrid, overpriced, depressing. DO NOT STAY HERE! You will walk out miserable and angry that you wasted your money.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are disgusting - carpets are stained with bleach and the rooms are a headache to get into- the signs to ur room although it is small are not helpful. The staff are slow, unresponsive, and when my husband asked to get our bags out of reception they slammed the door in his face and we waited another 30 minutes to sum up the courage to ask for them again. The $150 charge they DEBIT from your card is a joke - It's a crap hotel and every other amazing hotel I've been to had only required a photocopy of the card for incidentals. The hot breakfast was disgusting. Bacon half cooked and u can hear the elderly cook screaming at another staff member - maybe that's how they talked to one another but very unprofessional and embarrassing to witness. Their aircons in the room are directly in front of your bed so you can't breathe if you wanted to sleep with it on - it gets so stuffy. Never again!

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful birthday weekend with friends at Hotel Sophia. Came to see a show & do some shopping with a few of the girls & was pleasantly surprised. Staff were helpful, place was extra clean & comfy & we loved the coffee-pod machine in our rooms & free breakfast. Easy & convenient location for a few days away.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Hotel Sophia? Share your experiences!