“Great value and location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sophia

You added Hotel Sophia to your Saves list
Hotel Sophia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   277 King Street | Box 14116, Melbourne, Victoria 8001, Australia   |
Ranked #126 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
“Great value and location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Awesome location close to everything, friendly staff, great room with more extras than expected plus pub on site. Can't go past the $8 chicken parmy, chips and beer! Next time we're in Melbourne will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed one night, room was fine, bed good. Bathroom tiles dirty with mould. On arrival staff refused to accept cash for the $150 bond they demanded, they debited $300 from our credit card by mistake, swiped it twice!! Didn't acknowledge their error until check-out time next day. Then told us that it could be 5 days before the bond was refunded to our account, saying that we should fax our bank directly to facilitate and expedite the process!!! Staff were ok to deal with on a personal level, but were obviously forced to follow very unreasonable management requirements.
We have travelled extensively in Australia and throughout the world and have never encountered such intransigent treatment. We will never stay here again and will advise friends and associates not to stay here also!!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed in hotel Sophia this week just to attend a fair. I booked the hotel just looking for a clean place in a central location for someone who is not familiar with Melbourne. I booked the hotel and I liked at trip advisor after I had booked it and got worried that I would then be disappointed not able to sleep with terrible service. To my surprise I found a great little city hotel, walking distance to southern cross station and to the exhibition centre where I was meant to go. It was clean and modern way beyond my expectations, the fact you could make different teas and coffee, with milk and coffee maker was a bonus.. The bathroom was spotless with fresh clean towels, nice little soaps and even a bathrobe. The breakfast in the morning exceeded my expectations as to be honest ... Not sure that it is the fact I'm from Sydney where everything is overpriced I would have never ever beyond my wildest dream have ever been able to book a room so good with bfast for this price in the Sydney CBD. I u d'état and some people complain about the noise here.., but if you think that is going to be an issue just ask for a room that doesn't face the main road. After all you are in the Melbournes CBD. I did wait for about 2 mins for someone to come to reception when I arrived, but then again I realised I'm not staying in the park royal so I would recommend this to anyone who wants value for money.

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Terrible, terrible service, terrible terrible food, terrible terrible room, still haven't received my deposit back after several months. Dirty, horrid, overpriced, depressing. DO NOT STAY HERE! You will walk out miserable and angry that you wasted your money.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

The rooms are disgusting - carpets are stained with bleach and the rooms are a headache to get into- the signs to ur room although it is small are not helpful. The staff are slow, unresponsive, and when my husband asked to get our bags out of reception they slammed the door in his face and we waited another 30 minutes to sum up the courage to ask for them again. The $150 charge they DEBIT from your card is a joke - It's a crap hotel and every other amazing hotel I've been to had only required a photocopy of the card for incidentals. The hot breakfast was disgusting. Bacon half cooked and u can hear the elderly cook screaming at another staff member - maybe that's how they talked to one another but very unprofessional and embarrassing to witness. Their aircons in the room are directly in front of your bed so you can't breathe if you wanted to sleep with it on - it gets so stuffy. Never again!

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Had a wonderful birthday weekend with friends at Hotel Sophia. Came to see a show & do some shopping with a few of the girls & was pleasantly surprised. Staff were helpful, place was extra clean & comfy & we loved the coffee-pod machine in our rooms & free breakfast. Easy & convenient location for a few days away.

• Stayed June 2013
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I booked this hotel for a 4-day trip with my husband after seeing it on Wotif, where it appears to have a reasonable rating. After the first night there, I looked it up and saw the true reviews here. If you are unsure, trust me and believe these reviews!

When you book in advance, you are advised of a $150.00 "pre authorisation" which I queried, and was assured it was just an authorisation for incidentals. NOT TRUE. You have to PAY it upon check in as a bond. Others have stated they have not received it back. We only checked out yesterday, so I will give it time before touching on that,

The bed was very uncomfortable (two singles pushed together) and there is no doona, only some flat sheets on the bed (considering it was hovering around 5C over the weekend, I was freezing the whole time). The walls are paper-thin, so be prepared to hear drunken conversations at 3am from the guests next door.

Pros: good location, free breakfast provided, cheap
Cons: everything else you could want in a hotel

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple