“Don't ever EVER stay here” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sophia

Save Saved
You added Hotel Sophia to your Saves list
Hotel Sophia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   277 King Street | Box 14116, Melbourne, Victoria 8001, Australia   |
Ranked #122 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Don't ever EVER stay here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Terrible, terrible service, terrible terrible food, terrible terrible room, still haven't received my deposit back after several months. Dirty, horrid, overpriced, depressing. DO NOT STAY HERE! You will walk out miserable and angry that you wasted your money.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

367 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are disgusting - carpets are stained with bleach and the rooms are a headache to get into- the signs to ur room although it is small are not helpful. The staff are slow, unresponsive, and when my husband asked to get our bags out of reception they slammed the door in his face and we waited another 30 minutes to sum up the courage to ask for them again. The $150 charge they DEBIT from your card is a joke - It's a crap hotel and every other amazing hotel I've been to had only required a photocopy of the card for incidentals. The hot breakfast was disgusting. Bacon half cooked and u can hear the elderly cook screaming at another staff member - maybe that's how they talked to one another but very unprofessional and embarrassing to witness. Their aircons in the room are directly in front of your bed so you can't breathe if you wanted to sleep with it on - it gets so stuffy. Never again!

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful birthday weekend with friends at Hotel Sophia. Came to see a show & do some shopping with a few of the girls & was pleasantly surprised. Staff were helpful, place was extra clean & comfy & we loved the coffee-pod machine in our rooms & free breakfast. Easy & convenient location for a few days away.

• Stayed June 2013
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I booked this hotel for a 4-day trip with my husband after seeing it on Wotif, where it appears to have a reasonable rating. After the first night there, I looked it up and saw the true reviews here. If you are unsure, trust me and believe these reviews!

When you book in advance, you are advised of a $150.00 "pre authorisation" which I queried, and was assured it was just an authorisation for incidentals. NOT TRUE. You have to PAY it upon check in as a bond. Others have stated they have not received it back. We only checked out yesterday, so I will give it time before touching on that,

The bed was very uncomfortable (two singles pushed together) and there is no doona, only some flat sheets on the bed (considering it was hovering around 5C over the weekend, I was freezing the whole time). The walls are paper-thin, so be prepared to hear drunken conversations at 3am from the guests next door.

Pros: good location, free breakfast provided, cheap
Cons: everything else you could want in a hotel

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I was absolutely disgusted with the service and the $150 charge made to my card the day we arrived for 'incidentals' still waiting for it to be returned to me. So many complaints by others staying there that they could charge your card and then not have it refunded for at least 5 days after checking out. Reception staff were practically non existent and had to ring bell at least 3 times each time we were at the desk and needed something. Went to the bar to have a drink at 8 pm before going out for dinner and the blonde girl working in the bar made it more than obvious that we were an inconvenience to her and stated several times that they were about to close when there was signs everywhere saying 'open til late!' Not sure of what late is in their books but it was only early to us. Would not recommend to anyone to stay there again. Was highly disappointed with everything with this hotel. Only upside was the king size bed and complimentary breakfast but when we went for breakfast there was no clean coffee cups or glasses for us to have a drink in. Had to wait 5 mins for the chef to do dishes. Then there wasn't any hot water in the urn. Absolutely shocking place. Do not stay here. They self rate themselves as 4 star but I wouldn't even award them half a star!!

• Stayed July 2013
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Picked it as was in a good location and was cheap in comparison to others around. This hotel was clean and the beds were comfortable. The room however was rather small and the bathroom was far from great. There is a complimentary breakfast which varied in quality over the days I was staying but was fine to start the day. Would stay again if money was a major issue but there are better places about if you are willing to pay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Caloundra, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE. They kicked me out in the dark and the rain, and refused to honour my pre-paid accomodation because I don't have a credit card. I've stayed in many hotels in my time and I have always offered cash in place of the credit card swipe, but these people refused my cash and refused to supply me with accomodation, despite me being fully pre paid. I was forced to find different accomodation at 6pm at night, fresh off the plane from QLD. I was offered a refund and told the money would be back in my account the next day, but in fact it took three entire weeks to see the money again. Was forced to stump up another $1000 to stay somewhere else. Do not stay at Hotel Sophia. On one occassion when I rang to check the progress of my refund, I was hung up on. I had serious doubts I would get my money back at all. May I recommend Hotel Ibis on Little Bourne instead. Far superior.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Sophia? Share your experiences!