“Great weekend away!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sophia

You added Hotel Sophia to your Saves list
Hotel Sophia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   277 King Street | Box 14116, Melbourne, Victoria 8001, Australia (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #134 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
“Great weekend away!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Had a wonderful birthday weekend with friends at Hotel Sophia. Came to see a show & do some shopping with a few of the girls & was pleasantly surprised. Staff were helpful, place was extra clean & comfy & we loved the coffee-pod machine in our rooms & free breakfast. Easy & convenient location for a few days away.

• Stayed June 2013

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I booked this hotel for a 4-day trip with my husband after seeing it on Wotif, where it appears to have a reasonable rating. After the first night there, I looked it up and saw the true reviews here. If you are unsure, trust me and believe these reviews!

When you book in advance, you are advised of a $150.00 "pre authorisation" which I queried, and was assured it was just an authorisation for incidentals. NOT TRUE. You have to PAY it upon check in as a bond. Others have stated they have not received it back. We only checked out yesterday, so I will give it time before touching on that,

The bed was very uncomfortable (two singles pushed together) and there is no doona, only some flat sheets on the bed (considering it was hovering around 5C over the weekend, I was freezing the whole time). The walls are paper-thin, so be prepared to hear drunken conversations at 3am from the guests next door.

Pros: good location, free breakfast provided, cheap
Cons: everything else you could want in a hotel

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank katesrepublic

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I was absolutely disgusted with the service and the $150 charge made to my card the day we arrived for 'incidentals' still waiting for it to be returned to me. So many complaints by others staying there that they could charge your card and then not have it refunded for at least 5 days after checking out. Reception staff were practically non existent and had to ring bell at least 3 times each time we were at the desk and needed something. Went to the bar to have a drink at 8 pm before going out for dinner and the blonde girl working in the bar made it more than obvious that we were an inconvenience to her and stated several times that they were about to close when there was signs everywhere saying 'open til late!' Not sure of what late is in their books but it was only early to us. Would not recommend to anyone to stay there again. Was highly disappointed with everything with this hotel. Only upside was the king size bed and complimentary breakfast but when we went for breakfast there was no clean coffee cups or glasses for us to have a drink in. Had to wait 5 mins for the chef to do dishes. Then there wasn't any hot water in the urn. Absolutely shocking place. Do not stay here. They self rate themselves as 4 star but I wouldn't even award them half a star!!

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Fedupkate
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Picked it as was in a good location and was cheap in comparison to others around. This hotel was clean and the beds were comfortable. The room however was rather small and the bathroom was far from great. There is a complimentary breakfast which varied in quality over the days I was staying but was fine to start the day. Would stay again if money was a major issue but there are better places about if you are willing to pay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Caloundra, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE. They kicked me out in the dark and the rain, and refused to honour my pre-paid accomodation because I don't have a credit card. I've stayed in many hotels in my time and I have always offered cash in place of the credit card swipe, but these people refused my cash and refused to supply me with accomodation, despite me being fully pre paid. I was forced to find different accomodation at 6pm at night, fresh off the plane from QLD. I was offered a refund and told the money would be back in my account the next day, but in fact it took three entire weeks to see the money again. Was forced to stump up another $1000 to stay somewhere else. Do not stay at Hotel Sophia. On one occassion when I rang to check the progress of my refund, I was hung up on. I had serious doubts I would get my money back at all. May I recommend Hotel Ibis on Little Bourne instead. Far superior.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Belyando
Dunnellon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed for one night. Room pleasant enough and the hot breakfast was a bonus.

However 6 days later the so-called bond of $150 is still on my credit card. Whilst checking in, numerous people were complaining about this ludicrous charge.

From internet searches this recurs as a current theme. Personally I think the practice is highly illegal and will be taking the matter up with the ACC. It actually is a form of fraud so maybe the AFP should look into it as well.

I won't be staying there again purely because of this ludicrous charge.,

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Paul K
Maroochydore, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

great find close to train, bus to & from airport, etihad stadium. Very clean & comfortable. Friendly staff, we had no trouble with noise issues even for Saturday night. Our room was towards the back. Approx 5 minute walk to train station & etihad stadium easy to catch tram into shopping area. Bed comfortable, great coffee machine in room, price was very good value would stay here again, recommend for couples.

Room Tip: The back rooms for quieter sleep