“Good Value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sophia

Save Saved
You added Hotel Sophia to your Saves list
Hotel Sophia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   277 King Street | Box 14116, Melbourne, Victoria 8001, Australia   |
Ranked #123 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Good Value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Picked it as was in a good location and was cheap in comparison to others around. This hotel was clean and the beds were comfortable. The room however was rather small and the bathroom was far from great. There is a complimentary breakfast which varied in quality over the days I was staying but was fine to start the day. Would stay again if money was a major issue but there are better places about if you are willing to pay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

367 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
Caloundra, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE. They kicked me out in the dark and the rain, and refused to honour my pre-paid accomodation because I don't have a credit card. I've stayed in many hotels in my time and I have always offered cash in place of the credit card swipe, but these people refused my cash and refused to supply me with accomodation, despite me being fully pre paid. I was forced to find different accomodation at 6pm at night, fresh off the plane from QLD. I was offered a refund and told the money would be back in my account the next day, but in fact it took three entire weeks to see the money again. Was forced to stump up another $1000 to stay somewhere else. Do not stay at Hotel Sophia. On one occassion when I rang to check the progress of my refund, I was hung up on. I had serious doubts I would get my money back at all. May I recommend Hotel Ibis on Little Bourne instead. Far superior.

Dunnellon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed for one night. Room pleasant enough and the hot breakfast was a bonus.

However 6 days later the so-called bond of $150 is still on my credit card. Whilst checking in, numerous people were complaining about this ludicrous charge.

From internet searches this recurs as a current theme. Personally I think the practice is highly illegal and will be taking the matter up with the ACC. It actually is a form of fraud so maybe the AFP should look into it as well.

I won't be staying there again purely because of this ludicrous charge.,

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Maroochydore, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

great find close to train, bus to & from airport, etihad stadium. Very clean & comfortable. Friendly staff, we had no trouble with noise issues even for Saturday night. Our room was towards the back. Approx 5 minute walk to train station & etihad stadium easy to catch tram into shopping area. Bed comfortable, great coffee machine in room, price was very good value would stay here again, recommend for couples.

Room Tip: The back rooms for quieter sleep
Mildura, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My partner and I stayed for a long weekend to combine a work trip with a bit of Melbourne shopping. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Hotel Sophia. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. We loved the breakfast in the morning and the coffee-pod machine in our room. The staff were helpful and friendly and our location made it easy to get around the CBD, See you again soon!

Room Tip: Corner rooms- bit more space and nicer views
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The room we were given had possibly the worst soundproof walls and a big, paper-thin window looking out onto King Street. The whole night there was noise coming from the traffic and because it was raining, we could also hear every splash the cars made as they were going past. Even if you manage to ignore and sleep through all that, there were people constantly slamming and banging doors from 3-4am. As mentioned in other reviews, you really can hear people talking quite clearly and voices do seem to be amplified in the corridor. Surprisingly, we didn't hear any noise at all from the pub downstairs which we were expecting.

The room itself was okay, reasonably-sized with a king bed which was quite comfortable but the win factor had to be the location of the telly, which was situated behind a pillar thus could only be seen if you sat immediately below it or right on the edge of the bed.
The shared bathroom (with one other room) was a bit of a hassle to get into with all the doors but was otherwise clean and big.
The location was good as it was close to Southern Cross Station and public transport access or if you don't mind walking, takes about 10 mins or so to the CBD.
Check-in was relatively prompt, however, because the staff couldn't communicate with the guest before us, we had to wait about awhilte (after I helped with interpreting house rules).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We had a very pleasant stay at above hotel for 2 days and the quality of service, location and ambiance is very good. We recommend and happy to return if possible.

b.raghavendrachar
nagarbhavi Bangalore

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Sophia? Share your experiences!