“Comfortable and convenient” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sophia

Save Saved
You added Hotel Sophia to your Saves list
Hotel Sophia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   277 King Street | Box 14116, Melbourne, Victoria 8001, Australia   |
Ranked #123 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Mildura, Australia
“Comfortable and convenient”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My partner and I stayed for a long weekend to combine a work trip with a bit of Melbourne shopping. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Hotel Sophia. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. We loved the breakfast in the morning and the coffee-pod machine in our room. The staff were helpful and friendly and our location made it easy to get around the CBD, See you again soon!

Room Tip: Corner rooms- bit more space and nicer views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

363 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The room we were given had possibly the worst soundproof walls and a big, paper-thin window looking out onto King Street. The whole night there was noise coming from the traffic and because it was raining, we could also hear every splash the cars made as they were going past. Even if you manage to ignore and sleep through all that, there were people constantly slamming and banging doors from 3-4am. As mentioned in other reviews, you really can hear people talking quite clearly and voices do seem to be amplified in the corridor. Surprisingly, we didn't hear any noise at all from the pub downstairs which we were expecting.

The room itself was okay, reasonably-sized with a king bed which was quite comfortable but the win factor had to be the location of the telly, which was situated behind a pillar thus could only be seen if you sat immediately below it or right on the edge of the bed.
The shared bathroom (with one other room) was a bit of a hassle to get into with all the doors but was otherwise clean and big.
The location was good as it was close to Southern Cross Station and public transport access or if you don't mind walking, takes about 10 mins or so to the CBD.
Check-in was relatively prompt, however, because the staff couldn't communicate with the guest before us, we had to wait about awhilte (after I helped with interpreting house rules).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We had a very pleasant stay at above hotel for 2 days and the quality of service, location and ambiance is very good. We recommend and happy to return if possible.

b.raghavendrachar
nagarbhavi Bangalore

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hobart, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I wish I had read the reviews before I had booked and paid! I asked for a quiet room and the lady at the desk said she had put me at the back of the hotel, I though oh great! Unfortunately when I was laying in bed that night I realised that the street at the back of the hotel had trucks constantly going up and down it (I think collecting rubbish - very loud!). The windows were so thin it sounded as if the traffic was in my room, I even tried putting a towel up over the window to block out some more noise. I'm not a light sleeper, this was noisy! The walls were quite thin and I was woken at about 3am by people coming back to their room. The fire alarm went off at 6.30 am, I went down the stairs quickly and they said it was a false alarm. No apology and the alarm sounded for a further ten minutes. The breakfast that was included was awful - bake beans and eggs that had been sitting there for who knows how long. The bed was comfortable enough and the room was tidy but they are the only positives.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Best value for money in Melbourne. 1 block easy walk from main train and airport bus, 1 block to free city circle tram. Go the extra bit with room amenities and good basic breakfast.
Meals in adjoining pub excellent and once again great value. Only minus is the strict 2:00 check in time. Will not hesitate to return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed here with my teenage daughter, as we had to be somewhere in the CBD early in the morning and we live quite far away. We know this is budget! We paid $91 for a twin room with breakfast! I was worried about the room being claustrophobic, but it was surprisingly comfortable! The beds were so comfortable that I didn't want to get up! We had dinner in the pub down stairs, really old authentic pub, comfortable and cheap! Both meals $8.50 with a glass of wine! This place is quite noisy, but it is in the CBD. I think you could pay twice as much in Melbourne hotels for the same comfort. I wouldn't choose this for a big annual holiday, but for a night or 2, this is a bargain!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

You will find reviews here from people who have had unpleasant experiences financially with this establishment. Be warned. The negative reviews are based on fact. The establishment will indeed charge your card $150 upon arrival, and you may find you have to fight to get it back. And there is a history of their system double or even quadruple booking rooms and charging you for it, and good luck trying to get your money back. We are in the process of trying to work out which government department is responsible for policing such deceptive financial dealings by accommodation providers.

Room Tip: You need to ask for a room not facing the major truck route of Kings Street.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Sophia? Share your experiences!