“Noisy, and really awful beds” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sophia

Save Saved
You added Hotel Sophia to your Saves list
Hotel Sophia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   277 King Street | Box 14116, Melbourne, Victoria 8001, Australia   |
Ranked #118 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Canberra Australia
“Noisy, and really awful beds”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I wanted to like this place. The location is good, price ($95) OK. But the two biggies for me, noise and bed comfort, were bad.

This place will not check you in until 2pm. You can sit and wait, or go for a walk, but you are not getting processed until 2pm, full stop. At least the "lobby" isn't one of those misleading grand affairs.. the reception counter is almost in the street! It's an old property, which is evident from the pictures, complete with cramped hallways and creaky floors, but it's all been re-furbed adequately, it's clean, most things work OK. Rooms over the back alleyway don't get any street noise BUT given the internal noise, you might want street noise to help muffle it.

The walls are amazing, they seem to amplify noise from the hallway, and other rooms. You'd almost think the people were in your room. I got to hear what my neighbours thought of The New Avengers, and even heard when one of them pushed a pill out of a blister pack. There was also a rapid banging sound which I think was water pipe hammer. If anyone used water, off it went. I had read the reviews here and had brought new earplugs, which really helped.

Bed: disgraceful. My room (109) had a large bed, and a single. The large bed looked a bit like a shallow wading pool, with rims and it sank down to a low point in the middle, like a shallow dish. It was hard, and saggy, quite an acheivement. I can usually lie across saggy large beds, and use the 2-bed join in the middle as lumbar support, but this bed was narrower than most large beds, and the ridge was way too high for this stunt. So I spent the night perambulating around the bed, looking for areas where I could lie a bit flat. (Edges were almost useable for this). Pillows were pretty ordinary.

My room was quite roomy, very high ceiling which appeared to be under the eaves so no one above me. The window opened too, nice. TV, ye gods. The original 5 channels, plus Foxtel poverty pack, and strangely, GO. No chair to watch TV, i used the single bed. There were 2 dining chairs, and a tiny desk/table, which could be moved. No crockery or cutlery beyond mugs and glasses and teaspoons. There was a coffee machine, I think it was a pod machine. No toaster or water boiler. Cube shaped bar fridge, iced up, but very quiet. Bathrobes were a surprise in this place, seemed out of place.

I saw a few rooms that were being serviced, and they really varied as to layout, and size. Mine was pretty big, some were tiny.

Breakfast: not bad. Heaps of fried eggs, also scrambled eggs, and hash browns. a fun toaster that took your bread for a ride. Cereal, juices, plunger coffee, cheese slices. Not bad at all.

Location: very good indeed. A block from Spencer St with 2 supermarkets, and in King St some IGA, heaps of restaurants, La Trobe St very close by, could see Etihad stadium and the train station, easy walk to Vic Markets.

stay again? No!

Room Tip: 109 is spacious-ish, and has no street noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

335 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Came to Melbourne to see a theatre performance with my family. Initially booked Hotel Sophia because it is located close to the Skybus & Southern Cross Station. Found it to be a pleasant experience and am looking forward to staying again on our next Melbourne visit. The staff were very nice and we loved the coffee machine in our room.

Room Tip: enjoyed staying in a corner room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

My first impression was not good - I arrived at 1pm and while I know check in is from 2pm, often you can get in to your room earlier but I was unceremoniously sent away and told to come back at 2. When I returned at 2:30pm there was no-one on reception and a 'back in 5 minutes' sign - a sign that appeared regularly the two nights I stayed here even though reception is supposed to be 24/7.

A word to the wise - take earplugs - I could hear my neighbour's phone conversation and what he was watching on TV, there was also a pump going off every 10 minutes the whole time I was there. On the plus side, the room was spacious with a queen size bed and a single bed. The bed was comfortable and the heating effective. There was a chocolate on each pillow, a coffee machine and a comfy dressing gown. The location was great being one block from Etihad Stadium, Southern Cross Station, Coles and factory outlets. South Wharf DFO is a 20 minute walk away and the free City Circle tram (red rattler) is half a block away.

Breakfast was included in the room rate (I paid $91 for the first night and $95 for the second night). Hot food is available from 7am but on the second morning I arrived at 7:30am to find that the only hot food left was scrambled egg. There was only one person working in the kitchen. Perhaps this is how they keep the prices down by limiting the number of staff. My room was not serviced at all while I was there.

My last impression was not so good as the one and only lift was out of service at check out time. Fortunately I was only on the first floor and only had a small suitcase to cart down the stairs.

Overall some good and some not so good but the price was right and as long as you don't have high expectations of a Melbourne CBD hotel then this is the place for you.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Sophie Hotel for 3 nights and would recommend this and will return again ourselves. The hotel was clean and comfortable, nice fluffy towels, bath robes to use, big tv with lots of channels. The hot breakfast was a big plus, first day was no bacon, but second day there was yum. My only wish would be as I am gluten intolerant, for the option of gluten free bread for toast, easily fixed really as I just brought my own.
Very close to transport with the free bus and free tram running at the corner. Southern cross station just a 5 min walk also Coles for any groceries.
Staff were friendly and courteous.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I've just returned from a two-night stay (my second visit) at this hotel and I would recommend it to anyone wanting budget accommodation in Melbourne. At $90 per night, it was extremely good value for money. Close to all sorts of transport and easy walking distance to Southern Cross Station.

The room was spotlessly clean. There were plenty of towels, plunger coffee, 'pod' coffee, tea and biscuits. The room was a bit cramped between the foot of the bed and the wall, but the only reason for going there was to close the blind - so not really a problem at all. I could hear mumblings from the room next door, but nothing troubling. The only noise from outside was emergency vehicles - normal traffic noise couldn't be heard.

The king size bed was very comfortable, and for those that don't know, most hotel king size beds are two beds joined together. The linen was clean and crisp and there was an abundance of pillows.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

The only downside for me was that the cooked buffet breakfast didn't include bacon - which should really be a staple of any cooked breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Found Hotel Sophia in Melbourne and it turned out to be a great little find indeed. Located a handy 5 mins stroll from Spencer Street Station which is the drop off point for the Airport Skybus. Arrived at the Hotel around 1pm to find that check in was not available till 2pm. Staff offered to secure our luggage so we went for a walk to Victoria St Markets and spent a couple of hours there. On our return, check in went smoothly and we were given 2 key cards for our 3rd floor room which we found to be a little on the small side but with everything we needed including a fridge, a safe and aircon. The Bathroom had nice toiletries and towels and a pair of nice bath robes. The bed was comfortable with good pillows and the room was quiet. The included breakfast (served in the ground floor dining room) was fresh and plentiful each morning with good variety. Hotel Sophia is handy to Bourke St and the No 86 Tram to the Melbourne Shopping precinct, theatres, museums etc but blessed with fine weather we actually enjoyed the walk on 2 of our 3 mornings. A Pub adjoins the Hotel and serves reasonably priced drinks and food for those looking for an end of day drink and/or a meal. On checkout morning we again took advantage of the luggage holding facility and enjoyed our last day in Melbourne before picking our bags up about 2.30pm and strolling down to take our return ride to the Airport on Skybus. For location, service, facilities and price we would thoroughly recommend Hotel Sophia.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are away from potential noise from the Pub.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

**** Do not believe the negative comments ****

We stayed at Hotel Sophia for 4 nights over Easter. We chose this hotel as we were on a budget and other hotels were booked.

The hotel is a short walk from Southern Cross Station and we arrived there around 10.30pm. We were promptly checked in without any fuss.

Our room was of a decent size and very clean. The TV and air con worked without any problems. The bathroom was spotless with a nice pressure shower. We had a king size bed which was very comfortable as well.

As part of the deal we had a free buffet breakfast which was very tasty. They had bacon, eggs (two types), cheese, cereals, mini muffins, plunger coffee and more. I had bacon, egg and cheese sandwhiches polished off with some muffins and coffee! Delicious!

There is also a bar attached to the hotel which has some very good meal and drink specials daily. When we were there they had a generous burger with chips and a glass of beer all for $8! That's about as cheap as it gets in Melbourne CBD.

The only down side was the hotel was operating on a skeleton crew over Easter and so room service was limited. We only had our sheets changed once in the 3 days we stayed. They did however inform us of this and we could have requested towels etc, but we chose not to.

Overall we were very happy with our stay at Hotel Sophia and would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in 215
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Sophia? Share your experiences!