“An excellent hotel for the price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sophia

You added Hotel Sophia to your Saves list
Hotel Sophia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   277 King Street | Box 14116, Melbourne, Victoria 8001, Australia   |
Ranked #129 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“An excellent hotel for the price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

**** Do not believe the negative comments ****

We stayed at Hotel Sophia for 4 nights over Easter. We chose this hotel as we were on a budget and other hotels were booked.

The hotel is a short walk from Southern Cross Station and we arrived there around 10.30pm. We were promptly checked in without any fuss.

Our room was of a decent size and very clean. The TV and air con worked without any problems. The bathroom was spotless with a nice pressure shower. We had a king size bed which was very comfortable as well.

As part of the deal we had a free buffet breakfast which was very tasty. They had bacon, eggs (two types), cheese, cereals, mini muffins, plunger coffee and more. I had bacon, egg and cheese sandwhiches polished off with some muffins and coffee! Delicious!

There is also a bar attached to the hotel which has some very good meal and drink specials daily. When we were there they had a generous burger with chips and a glass of beer all for $8! That's about as cheap as it gets in Melbourne CBD.

The only down side was the hotel was operating on a skeleton crew over Easter and so room service was limited. We only had our sheets changed once in the 3 days we stayed. They did however inform us of this and we could have requested towels etc, but we chose not to.

Overall we were very happy with our stay at Hotel Sophia and would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in 215
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a few nights in April. It's clean, quiet and close to the main attractions of the city. Prices are good for what you get and I would go back. Can walk to markets and some great cafes.

• Stayed April 2013
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights over Easter and found it very clean and comfortable. I was a bit wary after reading some of the reviews but Hotel Sophia is definitely a winner & we'll be back in the future. The staff were very helpful with directions and advice and the breakfast was more than ample. It's an affordable find close to Southern Cross Station & the CBD. See you next time!

Room Tip: Higher floors are recommended
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

What a horrible blemish on an otherwise lovely trip to Melbourne.
I knew it would be "budget" but I did not imagine that.
The room was incredibly tiny. Barely enough room to move. I could hear every move the people either side and above me made. The bed was king size, by placing two singles together... Not comfortable.
There was mascara on my pillow case, some strange red stain on my towels, my air con didn't work, the bathrobes were stiff as a plank, the breakfast made me ill and one of the staff was INCREDIBLY rude.
I tried to make a complaint, but no one answers the phone...
They make you sign a waiver on check in. Take the hint. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013
Shepparton, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Clean, comfortable accomodation at a good price in Melbourne's CBD. Good value with breakfast also included. Only crticism I can make was noisey water pipes. Ear plugs fixed this. This might not happen in all rooms. Handy to Flagstaff Station. I would certainly stay there again. Is a great find for an affordable overnight stay when travelling from the country.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for one night. We booked through wotif and paid $250!!
Firstly there was supposed to be $15 overnight parking which turned out to be $38 at the southern cross station.
When we arrived we were greeted by a grumpy lady owner that wouldn't take the time to explain correctly how to get to the car park she was more interested in swiping my credit card for a supposed $150 refundable when no damage was caused, I asked her to explain why she needed to actually take the money out of my account she was very annoyed and simply said so I can be paid if you break something. 2 weeks later I still havnt received my money back in my account , and when I called her about it she said I have to work it out with the bank it's not her problem.
In addition the FREE breakfast was the worst I have ever had
Please be warned this place is the pits

• Stayed March 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Spent 3 nights at the hotel at the end of a 2 week trip driving from Adelaide & was pleasantly surprised .For the price we paid for a large double bedroom it was more than adequate. Spotlessly clean & with all the usual toiletries & tea & coffee in the room. The breakfast was buffet style & had a wide selection of items for breakfast. The bar & restaurant were very reasonably priced . We had dined at Southbank & you could double the cost The free city tram is only a few minutes walk away. Also you can walk to the Airport bus which takes 24 minutes to Melbourne airport. We found it very convenient. Its a small family run hotel not one of a chain so don't expect a large foyer & wide halls. Phone calls are expensive

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Sophia? Share your experiences!