“Great budget hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sophia

Save Saved
You added Hotel Sophia to your Saves list
Hotel Sophia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   277 King Street | Box 14116, Melbourne, Victoria 8001, Australia   |
Ranked #122 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
“Great budget hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a few nights in April. It's clean, quiet and close to the main attractions of the city. Prices are good for what you get and I would go back. Can walk to markets and some great cafes.

• Stayed April 2013

367 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights over Easter and found it very clean and comfortable. I was a bit wary after reading some of the reviews but Hotel Sophia is definitely a winner & we'll be back in the future. The staff were very helpful with directions and advice and the breakfast was more than ample. It's an affordable find close to Southern Cross Station & the CBD. See you next time!

Room Tip: Higher floors are recommended
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

What a horrible blemish on an otherwise lovely trip to Melbourne.
I knew it would be "budget" but I did not imagine that.
The room was incredibly tiny. Barely enough room to move. I could hear every move the people either side and above me made. The bed was king size, by placing two singles together... Not comfortable.
There was mascara on my pillow case, some strange red stain on my towels, my air con didn't work, the bathrobes were stiff as a plank, the breakfast made me ill and one of the staff was INCREDIBLY rude.
I tried to make a complaint, but no one answers the phone...
They make you sign a waiver on check in. Take the hint. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013
Shepparton, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Clean, comfortable accomodation at a good price in Melbourne's CBD. Good value with breakfast also included. Only crticism I can make was noisey water pipes. Ear plugs fixed this. This might not happen in all rooms. Handy to Flagstaff Station. I would certainly stay there again. Is a great find for an affordable overnight stay when travelling from the country.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for one night. We booked through wotif and paid $250!!
Firstly there was supposed to be $15 overnight parking which turned out to be $38 at the southern cross station.
When we arrived we were greeted by a grumpy lady owner that wouldn't take the time to explain correctly how to get to the car park she was more interested in swiping my credit card for a supposed $150 refundable when no damage was caused, I asked her to explain why she needed to actually take the money out of my account she was very annoyed and simply said so I can be paid if you break something. 2 weeks later I still havnt received my money back in my account , and when I called her about it she said I have to work it out with the bank it's not her problem.
In addition the FREE breakfast was the worst I have ever had
Please be warned this place is the pits

• Stayed March 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Spent 3 nights at the hotel at the end of a 2 week trip driving from Adelaide & was pleasantly surprised .For the price we paid for a large double bedroom it was more than adequate. Spotlessly clean & with all the usual toiletries & tea & coffee in the room. The breakfast was buffet style & had a wide selection of items for breakfast. The bar & restaurant were very reasonably priced . We had dined at Southbank & you could double the cost The free city tram is only a few minutes walk away. Also you can walk to the Airport bus which takes 24 minutes to Melbourne airport. We found it very convenient. Its a small family run hotel not one of a chain so don't expect a large foyer & wide halls. Phone calls are expensive

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights over a weekend. Didn't have a good first impression at check in as the female receptionist was lacking in politeness or friendliness but was happy with the size of my room. The hot and cold breakfast was appreciated as was the ability to open windows in the room. Two comments; Noise is the biggest factor, whether it be from other rooms, as other reviewers have already described; the construction work at a couple of neighbouring sites starting at 6am; or people on the street at all hours. Had a disruptive night's sleep the first night but the use of ear plugs on second and third nights made a big difference. Secondly, TV controls were difficult and despite the monitor showing channels 7,9, 10 I was advised that they only have Foxtel channels - this could have been made much clearer in the hotel manual left in the room. One final comment; I was caught out as I didn't realise that the Flagstaff train station on the next block was only operative Monday to Friday and completely closed on weekends - this wasn't such a big deal in that you could just walk down to Melbourne Central or walk down to Swanston Street to catch other trams but just something you should be aware of if you are looking to stay at Hotel Sophia on the weekend.

Room Tip: definitely ask for a room off the street and the higher the floor the better
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Sophia? Share your experiences!