“Great Location....good rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #99 of 169 Hotels in Melbourne
Nottingham
“Great Location....good rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stayed here for a couple of nights with a friend in December.

For the price we paid for this hotel, I'm very impressed. Reception staff were helpful from check-in to check-out. The rooms were small but perfectly adequate and clean. Although the rooms are not en-suite there are plenty of bathrooms which were cleaned regularly.

Other useful facilities include a kitchen and laundry, as well as a roof top social area.

It was a little noisy at night, but we were there in the run up to christmas when locals were out partying after finishing work for the year/Christmas. Plus, what do you expect for a city centre location!

Great location and price for a city centre hotel! Thanks.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I stayed in Melbourne for a week and found this little gem of a hotel through Lonely Planet.

After staying in hostel dorms for a couple of weeks I was looking forward to a room to myself. It was a lovely large double, comfy bed, with TV as a bonus and not too expensive for the time I was there (8th-15th). Was hoping to go back when I'm in Melbourne for 4 days over New Year but they've hiked their prices up for the holidays. Shame.

The hotel's facilities are clean and the hotel is situated perfectly in the CBD, close to coffee shops, bars and restaurants. Despite its central location, the place is pretty quiet. Staff are helpful and friendly.

Free Wi-fi is really good too and there are even free computers available if you need to do something that warrants a machine bigger than a laptop or mobile.

The only downside were the cleaning staff. Most places I have stayed in tend to start cleaning after about 10am when people who are leaving check out. But in this hotel they start at about 8am and are really noisy. I was awakened nearly every morning with them doing things outside my room in the hallway.

Otherwise a great place to stay in Melbourne.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
County Clare, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Happy was clean and tidy cheap and good for a short trip.. Was doing lots of travelling so only used the room at night.. Only downside was a shared bathroom but high speed broadband was free and there was a lovely little cafe across the road for breakfast

Stayed November 2013
Rotorua, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

we stayed here for 5 nights and had few complaints. It was close to the city, clean and comfortable. The room was great for 2 singles. There was a large fridge...could've been plugged in before we arrived to chill it, bit it was a minor thing. The bathrooms were plentiful and clean. Reception was helpful. We never used the kitchen but it looked a little small for so many rooms. The rooftop area was great to chill on but maybe there should be a curfew on parties and people moving furniture around up there...our room was directly underneath and it was noisy on a couple of nights!! We enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay here again

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Tauranga
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

My daughter and I stayed in this hotel over the weekend preceding the Melbourne Cup (i.e. when all the hotels in Melbourne were bursting at the seams). We arrived late on the Thursday night and the 'after hours check' in procedure went off without a hitch which was great. The room was very basic but serviceable and at the price we weren't expecting more. It would have been nice to get fresh coffee cups rather than having to rinse them out in the bathroom but that was a minor issue. The communal bathrooms were ok - absolutely basic to the point where there are no shelves or hooks next to the basins but they were reasonably clean. For a hotel that was at maximum occupancy we were surprised that we were not really aware of any other guests - no noise, no encounters in the bathrooms... and if we had left after 3 nights that would have been the impression we took away with us.

Unfortunately on our last night everything turned to custard. My daughter encountered a naked guest roaming the bathrooms and had to avoid 2 of the toilets which were absolutely filthy with excrement and vomit. In the middle of the night we were woken by a loud and extended argument coming from a room nearby and then for much of the night there seemed to be a party going on in one of the rooms. We were feeling quite sleep-deprived by the morning! We checked out early and were unable to discuss the issue with anyone as reception was unattended when we left.

I do want to make it clear that we had 3 nights which were absolutely fine and the issues we had were not with the hotel and staff themselves but rather with fellow guests. So it really is the luck of the draw as to what kind of experience you have but I would think twice about booking into a 'shared bathroom' situation again as a female (or 2 females) travelling alone. The front desk is unmanned overnight and there is no 'hotel security' on site to handle issues with problem guests.

Room Tip: As others have mentioned, an 'air well' facing room close to the bathrooms is ideal.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This hotel is nothing fancy as the name suggests but for a stop over in Melbourne is in a good location at a good price. It was a little noisy at times but this wasn't an issue for me. It won't suit everyone but staff are friendly and it has the basics if that's what you're looking for.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I was not sure about this booking until I had a personal email from the managers and it was such a friendly and helpful one I knew I was going to be OK. The outstanding features of the place are the helpful reception personnel; the cleanliness of everything; the location. The down-side for me was the noise at night when unthinking residents came loudly back from their night on the town. temporary disturbances but annoying. Other than that I found this to be an ideal base for a short business trip to Melbourne on a budget. Definitely going back there and can definitely recommend to any traveler looking for a safe, clean and affordable option. The free wifi was reliable and fast - better than in much more expensive hotels I stay in elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for an internal room on either level one or level two. And get a room close to the shared bathr...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to City Centre Budget Hotel? Share your experiences!