“Loved my stay here” 5 of 5 stars
Review of UniLodge Hotel on Swanston

UniLodge Hotel on Swanston
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Melbourne
UniLodge Hotel on Swanston
You added UniLodge Hotel on Swanston to your Saves list
339 Swanston Walk, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #163 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
New Delhi, India
“Loved my stay here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I had stayed in self contained room for three months and I loved my stay here while studying in Melbourne University ...Everything you can think of was at walking distance ...Melbourne Central station was just 1/2 minute walk away ...Safeway was just opposite the hotel ...and Aldi's was even walking distance of 5-10 minutes ...It was at a perfect location.My room was at first floor on the side of main road .But I wanted the same room with view of street ..There was a disc nearby and on Friday Night , I could hear the sounds even in my room ., so a little disturbing sometimes ..Internet connection worked well and I had purchased monthly plan as had to stay here for three months ..I was happy with reception services and had faced no problem at all ..

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Business
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

This hotel is very basic, if your just in town and need something cheap and central then this would be for you. Rooms are small but comfortable.

Located just outside the Melbourne Central St. exit on Swanston St. so everything you need is at your door step.

Rooms are clean although some items in the kitchenette could use replacement.

Would recommend this place for travelers just wanting something very basic for short stays.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for three nights with three other students - we were part of an exchange group coming to a school elsewhere in Australia, but first we wanted to explore Melbourne for a couple days, so a relatively inexpensive hotel was picked since we would not be spending any real amount of time in the room. This proved to be something of a mistake.

Upon arrival after a twenty-four-hour journey from Toronto, we came upon a lobby hidden behind a Subway restaurant with no public washrooms of its own, a rickety old elevator, and a two-bedroom apartment on the 12th floor which smelt entirely like marijuana - my friends and I were joking that we could get secondhand high just by sleeping in the room. Barring a few unsightly marks on the walls, a faulty internet connection, and dirty furniture, the room was of acceptable condition, and of more than adequate size. One bedroom did not have any windows, but that wasn't my problem at the time =)

My friend went to organize the internet connection on our second night, after we'd paid the $25 fee the previous day, and we learned that they expected the same amount every day - for an internet connection that never actually worked in the first place. Apparently the receptionist was unwilling to help with this.

However, two features of the hotel can absolutely not be badly spoken of - first, the location was wonderful, directly across from the university campus and located above two restaurants ((subway and nando's)) and behind Melbourne's largest mall. Anything worth seeing in central Melbourne was within a ten-minute walk or tram ride from the lobby. Second, FOR THE PRICE, this was overall better than we expected, and do not believe any mishaps occurred with overcharging.

• Stayed February 2009
Newcastle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

Our experiences are nearly identical to the previous review.
We stayed on the 12th floor; self contained rooms are quite spacious & pretty modern.
They could definitely be much cleaner - there were marks on the walls in many places, the floor in the kitchen was sticky.
The bathroom was large, but the shower was the smallest I've ever seen - if you are a large person you'd have to shower with door open!
All window blinds are vertical blinds (with some bits missing) - when sun rises all rooms were too bright to sleep in!
Some windows were hard to open or close due to broken winders.
The biggest problem was the noise.
The floors & wall are not solid - you can clearly hear other guests above/beside you.
We spent 3 nights there & every night we were unable to sleep for more than 2 hrs.
First night people from 2am we were woken up by loud thumping on the floor by people above - sounded like they were jumping from bunks or similar. They were extremely loud & went on for hours.
Next night we were woken up by some students running amok outside in the corridors, banging on all walls & doors. Then the thumping from above started.
Last night we had a loud party next door till about 2.30am, followed by more thumping from above.
We contacted the reception on each occasion, but that made no difference.
To top it off they have overcharged us for our accommodation & refused to do anything about it. We have to go through our bank to have it rectified.
Overall that was the worst stay anywhere EVER!
It's a shame as the location of hotel is excellent & if it wasn't for above problems I would go back for sure.
If you don't need to sleep it is OK place to stay.

• Liked — location, view
  • Disliked — NOISE,NOISE, NOISE, unsafe, broken windows, lack of any real assistance after hours
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hobart, Tasmania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

At first I thought this was good - nice view and not bad sized room, if a bit shabby.
I thought it was great to have openable windows. Later when people were obviously smoking on balconies and two of the windows would not CLOSE it was not so great.
Someone tried the door to my room at one point, which I thought was just an honest mistake in room number. Later events made it seem potentially more sinister.
When I got back to my room around midnight and the room security door card would not open the outer doors to the hotel (which are locked at some time like 9pm) I was lucky someone happened to eventually come out and I got in, or else I would have been stuck outside by myself. No answer on the intercom either so no help was available.
When I got in there was quite a bit of noise from other rooms and it wasn't easy to sleep.
Around 3am what sounded like a riot started happening either above me or outside in the corridors or in an adjacent room, with people yelling and screaming and worse, THUMPING on the floor or walls - god knows what was happening.
The information in the room states that reception closes at a certain time (like 9pm or something) so I didnt think there'd be any help there. I was desperate though so I called the reception number and someone WAS there. Would have been nice to know that before so I could have called earlier.
They apparently did something about the noise which stopped, but about half an hour later (maybe 4am) it started up again a bit less loud but the regular THUMPS kept waking me every time I even started to get to sleep. So around 7am I finally fell asleep from sheer exhaustion - the noise still going on.
Needless to say I didn't wake up until 10am, wasting valuable holiday time and feeling none too refreshed.
The corridor outside STANK of cigarette smoke when I left so I guess the whole place was being used as a party venue and I would say this is a regular occurrence.
I would definitely not recommend this place to anyone, especially people travelling alone, as it doesn't feel safe, let alone provide a quiet place to sleep!!!

• Liked — location, view
  • Disliked — NOISE, unsafe, broken windows, security card bombed at midnight
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
tasmania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2008

I booked this for its kitchen facilities and location, and dreaded what might be for the low price. NO WORRIES! We were delighted to find a very clean, very comfortable, obviously refurbished (except for the couch!) one bedroom apartment. The bed provided the best nights sleep since we left home in Tassie 2 weeks prior, They even provided biscuits with the tea making facilities. We were happy NOT to be disturbed by daily room service, hanging our towels to dry as we do at home. We will use this as our Melb base every time we travel in future.

• Liked — the proximity to all forms of public transport
  • Disliked — the saggy couch.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

We (4 singles in their late teens-20's) stayed in a Quad share 2 bed room apartment for 5 days from the 4th to the 8th of January. The apartment was located on the top level and the first two days we stayed there were very hot, there was no air conditioning so it was a bit uncomfortable, but they did provide two portable fans in the apartment. The other days were fine as the weather cooled down.

When we first arrived, we were given the wrong room, but this was quickly fixed up without little trouble at all. We also arrived quite early and they were able to accommodate us which was lucky and unexpected, I do commend reception for their service (they also booked the taxi for us when we had to leave).

The apartment was a decent size for the four of us and was pretty clean, especially the carpet, although we noticed a couple of bugs. The apartment was also serviced on the second last day we were there.

There was food in the mini bar which you had to pay for, but there was still room for some food and had a tiny freezer inside. The kitchen also contained a microwave and stove with the essential utensils.

The location is probably the best aspect of this hotel, on the same street there are a couple of supermarkets and an abundance of shops. It has a central location so it's pretty easy to walk to some attractions such as Old Melbourne gaol, Queen Victoria markets, and I also walked down Swanston street to end up at Flinders Station and Federation square.

The Trams are located extremely close and there are plenty of Taxi's and the Train station is extremely close. There is also a free Tram that can be caught at a location that is a very short walk from the hotel.

The State library is located across the road from the hotel and there are many take away/fast food stores located on the same street and the post office isn't too far either.

I probably would stay here again providing the weather is a little cooler.

• Liked — location and value
  • Disliked — no air conditioning
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to UniLodge Hotel on Swanston? Share your experiences!