I picked these apartments because I needed to be within walking distance to the Royal Melbourne Hospital Royal Park Campus. Based on other reviews that I had read I requested a room at the back of the hotel to cut down traffic noise. Unfortunately this request was unable to be accommodated and we were in an apartment facing right onto Brunswick Road. Brunswick Road is a very busy main road in Melbourne so if you are a light sleeper you need to consider this. We stayed in apartment 9 and this was definitely not double glazed. The noise of traffic was considerable but it did ease off during the night.
We were in a two bedroom family apartment and stayed for 5 nights.
Clean bathroom with towels changed daily if needed.
Clean but very small kitchenette. I found the facility really only adequate to make breakfast.
Staff generally were helpful.
We never ran out of hot water with 3 people showering daily.
Great location. Near to trams and great restaurants.
Sensitive smoke alarms (both good and bad). Read on.
Locked front-door after hours which provided some security.
The not so good:
Very noisy. No double glazing in our room.
Grubby carpet's throughout.
Dusty and dirty windowsills, curtains and windows.
Bedside light not working and was not fixed despite reporting it.
Extremely sensitive smoke alarms. I found it necessary to open windows and keep the extractor fan on for quite a while when boiling eggs and cooking toast. Although nothing was burnt the alarms went off twice in my room. In the end I was fearful to cook anything. The first time this happened my husband raced down to reception to let them now it was a false alarm. We were informed that the alarms were not connected to the fire stations so no fire engines arrived.
The internet in the foyer did not work. I was not able to access the most basic of websites, e.g. hotmail.
Overall: We paid $165.00 per night which for Melbourne would be considered to be very reasonable. Although I was grateful for comfortable beds, for me, the negative points outweigh the positive.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
November 7, 2012
Report response as inappropriate
Thanks for taking the time to post a review on our apartments.
A couple of points in response:
• The room type you booked, Family Apartment is not available of the side of the building away from the road thus the reason we could not accommodate your request.
• All Family Apartments on the road side have now been double glazed as of 5/11/12.
• I acknowledge that the carpets on level 2 are worn and require replacing, something that is on our list to be done.
• I dispute that the Internet either at the reception console is or was not working. Every day we have numerous people using it and as long as you are signed in correctly there is never a problem.
• I will get the smoke alarm serviced by our electrician.
• No excuse for dirty windows and dust – I will certainly look into that with the housekeepers.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.