“Perfectly acceptable facilities” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks on Collins Street

Save Saved
You added Oaks on Collins Street to your Saves list
Oaks on Collins Street
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   480 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Stay 3 Nights & Save 15%!
Ranked #127 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Seymour, Australia
“Perfectly acceptable facilities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

We stayed one night here. The room was spotlessly clean and nicely appointed, with an oven, cook-top, dishwasher, mini-fridge and a basic range of cooking utensils. The studio room was adequate for our needs. There was a two seater couch, a couple of chairs and a bench with bar stools. All decorated in muted whites and greys. The ensuite is behind a thick panel of frosted glass and you could just barely see the outline of the other person when they were using the "facilities". I didn't feel uncomfortable about it at all, nor did my husband. If you're going to be sharing a bed, I don't think it's a problem to know your nearest and dearest is using the shower/toilet. The room looked out onto an office building and had a door to a small balcony; looking at the floor plan on the back of the door, most rooms had a window. Only a couple of rooms on each floor had no window. The room had no noticeable smell.
The room was fairly quiet except for the usual garbage trucks in the morning.
At check-in you have to give a credit card and the hotel puts a hold on a security deposit that is automatically removed after a couple of days. This is in addition to the prepayment for the room.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

625 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

Stayed in this hotel for 3 days and couldn't fault it other then the distance from the main centre where I was mainly situated, it's not miles away but it's a good 20 minute walk up this street that never seemed to end! The rooms were clean and the staff were friendly and professional, I forgot my charger and reception had a root through a box and found one that I could borrow!

We had dinner here as well one night and the food was great but the restaurant was dead and lacked atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

Stayed here beginning of June for work. Second time I have stayed at this hotel, other time was a shopping trip.

The two bedroom rooms are a good size but the single rooms seem to be much smaller. My single room this time was an interior room which was an awkward shape. The only window looked into an internal walkway that other guests could easily have seen into if entering and leaving their rooms. As a result I kept the curtains closed which meant the room got no natural light!

The air conditioning kept turning off after an hour and there were no instructions on how to remedy this, so the room became too hot over night.

Location is good though, 5 min walk from the main shops on Flinders Lane and Bourke St etc, and the staff and service were excellent.

Would only stay here again if I was guaranteed a room that got light and the air con worked properly.

Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

Couldn't ask for a better location. Room was very 'average'... small, and inconveniently set up. Bathroom/ toilet deign was the worst I've encountered in a hotel. The walls were of opaque glass, & right next to main bed. This meant if you needed to use the amenities in the middle of the night & turned on the light (as one tends to do in unfamiliar rooms in the dark) you lit up the entire bedroom area thus waking all occupants!!!! Shower was also next to a glass door & water would come out near the master bed, that was a mere 50-odd cms away from entrance. TV was mounted right near the ceiling, had to crane your neck at an awkward angle - not that we watched it much, but still inconvenient.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
perth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

On business trip, firstly there were no windows in my room! Felt like a prison. The smallest bathroom (it wasn't really even that) I have ever seen, sort of cubicle in the corner of the room. My bed was like a foam futon, not a normal height but lower to the floor. To top it off the TV was mounted on the roof opposite and was quite small so I don't know who their designer was for this room but they should be shot!

Note - Oaks apartment hotels are normally really good but this one was just awful.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

This hotel seems to target the business community and then proceed to completely fleece them with extortionate internet fees. The room was not very clean and the bathroom was tiny with very awkwardly positioned sink and toilet which didnt smell too good from the moment i checked into the room. They offer room service between the hours of 5pm - 9pm - not sure why? and the staff are totally useless eg. "How was your stay?" "Terrible" "ok great have a nice day"

using the internet over two nights for basic business needs cost me over one hundred dollars - when i questioned this the hotel wouldn't take any responsibilty for it and said "ah well, its run by an outside company so its nothing to do with us" err yes it is you gave them the contract didnt you?

terrible place - dont stay there!

Adelaide
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

I did have high expectations of this hotel because it is on such a nice street and the rates were fairly high. In the end I am am extremely glad I got a discount rate and did not pay full price to stay here.

I booked a studio apartment with two single beds. I arrived at the hotel and was not greeted warmly, it was efficient but I was served by someone who just did not want to be there. I was surprised to get to the room and see my "window" actually was a window out to a poor excuse of a courtyard which was actually part of the hallway to another room. Needless to say I kept the curtains closed the entire stay to avoid my neighbors walking past and copping an eyeful!

The bathroom is a small frosted glass box, actually I wouldn't call it a bathroom, Id would call it a cupboard. It made it quite awkward being there with a friend as it offers almost no privacy. Also, luckily I am small as moving around in there was hard, even for me! The two single beds were actually pushed together, so we had to share the one blanket. The air conditioner is a split system and squeaked constantly throughout the night. We had about three desks in our room which seemed like overkill. The television was quite high so if you want to watch it, best to be laying down. The remote didn't really work. I had two guests arrive who were not allowed to come up, I had to go to reception and get them which I have never had to do before. I was woken up on Saturday by loud banging which lasted a few hours, seemed they were repairing a part of the wall near my room, I know maintenance is required but some notice would have been appreciated.

And the good...

The kitchen area is well appointed with great appliances and even a dishwasher! The bed was comfortable even if it wasn't the bed I had booked. I had the Carbonara from the room service menu which was very tasty. It is in a good location.

I found the hotel to be modern and clean and I do not know what the other larger rooms at Oaks on Collins offer, but this is definitely a room I will never stay in again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Oaks on Collins Street? Share your experiences!