“Nice location...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks on Collins Street

You added Oaks on Collins Street to your Saves list
Oaks on Collins Street
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   480 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #122 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Quezon City
“Nice location...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Stayed here for two weeks last March. It was ok. Oaks has a good location, My room was big, bed- comfortable, Though I couldn't get a good view from my window because they're unclean from the outside. the staff made sure that the room was tidy before i arrive, there was a stove for cooking although cooking utensils are not complete,There's a gym and a small pool. It met the requirements. A little customer service might help but overall I can't complain.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
OaksCollins, Manager at Oaks on Collins Street, responded to this review, January 28, 2014

Thank you for your feedback.

It is pleasing to hear that you found your room tidy & bed comfortable - Your feedback has been forwarded to our housekeeping team with thanks.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Kind Regards
Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Surfers Paradise, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Where do I begin?!

My husband and I along with our 16 month old son, unfortunately stayed here from 28/12/13 til 03/01/14 in a Roof Top Apartment on Level 19.

Here is my rant, excuse any spelling or punctuation errors as I was quite angry whilst typing:

Rooms (Roof Top Apartments):

Upon arrival we were given room 1910. We are pretty sure that Charles Manson may have resided in there at some stage.

The room was incredibly hot, the personal air conditioner you were given was dirty, a tiny TV, old food was stuck to the skirting boards, the carpet was disgusting and stained along with the blinds, and the bathroom, well you couldn't swing a mouse in there let alone a cat!

My husband went down to complain to Reception, whilst I sat and sobbed in Charles Manson's former abode. (The reason for this, it was my birthday that day and my first time to Melbourne, I was incredibly upset).

We were then offered the room next door which was 1901. This seemed a little better, although not perfect. It appeared somewhat cleaner than 1910 and also had block out curtains, the shower head was ridiculous, the TV was extra tiny, the ensuite was better laid out than the 1910 however there is no bench space whatsoever in any of the ensuites' and the sink is about the size of a shoe box, mould in the shower, oh and hot water and water pressure are a major issue with this hotel, the 2nd night we had a cyclone blowing our curtains in through the closed balcony door gaps, no dishwashing liquid or tablets provided, no tea towel, the fridge froze everything, personal air conditioner was dirty, the couch is non existent you may well sit on the floor which was very hard for my 6'4 husband, the kitchen is not functional at all - the cupboards are way too high along with the door to the microwave doesn't go back into the cupboard so me being 5'7 struggled to heat my sons bottles, no courtesy sanitary bags or more importantly a shower cap! Thank you Gold Coast City Council for coming to my rescue with this, we had clean dog poo bags from the park back home in our pram, and so this is what I used as a makeshift shower cap.

The not so friendly reception girl advised us that a couple of the bigger rooms would become available on the Monday if we wanted to change. We did look in these 1911 and 1914 from memory. It amazes me how different all the rooms can be with inclusions and fixtures. Room 1911 was nice, and had block out curtains, however the shower head was still non functional for our needs, and it also had a 32" TV attached to it's wall with a proper couch to sit on. Room 1914 we would have taken, except for the fact it had roller blinds which don't block light out (you need these when you have a toddler), it too had a 32" TV on the wall and a proper couch, and a fantastic detachable shower head.

We were actually told by Flight Centre Pacific Fair that the bedroom was separate the living areas, which we required having a toddler and all. This was not the case. By the way we will never ever use Flight Centre again, as we were ripped off and not properly informed of the accommodation. We only booked through them as there was nothing else available in Melbourne for the dates and facilities we required and therefore we needed assistance. We paid over $2k for the 6 nights we were here, never, ever again.

Overall, the Roof Top Apartments are an absolute disgrace and I would say judging from those the rest of the rooms in this so called hotel are also. Oaks really need to have somewhere on their website that Roof Top Apartments are not suitable for those who have young children. There are also no bath's in any of these rooms.

Thank fully our friends own an Apartment in Port Melbourne and we spent New Year's Eve with them. Had a wonderful shower and we could finally wash our son's hair!

Bedding:

The beds are uncomfortable, the pillows are flat and your not given 2 each like a normal hotel. The beds are ensembles with no bed head, seriously??!!

Staff:

The staff are not friendly at all and you could really see it in their faces when you complained that they just didn't care anymore, obviously this is a regular occurrence.

We encountered staff not holding doors open when they could see us coming and just carried on their conversation in another language with another staff member with know acknowledgment whatsoever.

The concierge desk was always unmanned, and we were never ever offered any help with our pram or luggage.

Dining/Food:

Do not eat breakfast here, you will probably end up eating a fly or god knows what else. The food was not fresh, and the chairs in the restaurant are all heavily stained and damaged, they only have Equal or sachets of white sugar on the tables, you need to pay extra if you would like a decent coffee, the hot water for tea was out of an old fashioned urn/thermo jug.

We only ate breakfast once in the restaurant which was enough, we went across the road to The Intercontinental which was AMAZING! Around $38 for full buffet breakfast, but you have everything there and we didn't eat again until dinner time, and you don't need to pay extra for a decent coffee. We had been asked by the staff at the Intercontinental if we were staying there (as they saw us regularly), we advised no unfortunately not and told them everything.

Facilities:

The swimming pool I believe is colder than the Antarctic

There is no ramp from reception to the lifts, very very very difficult when you have a child asleep in his pram and what about disabled people? We did encounter this one day whilst we were there as a one legged man was on crutches and was staying on the 20th floor! Oh dear, the poor man almost died when he saw the amount of stairs he had to climb as the lift stops at level 18. This poor man had probably the equivalent of 4 1/2 flights of stairs to climb.

This was a major problem for us with the lift stopping at Level 18. How ridiculous, we had to then climb 2 1/2 flights of stairs to level 19, with a heavily laden pram!! Every time we came down the stairs to go anywhere, we where then greeted by cigarette smoke on Level 18. This is supposed to be a non smoking hotel. Absolutely disgusting!

By the way the lift also doesn't go to the very bottom of the basement either where hotel guests are required to park.

Housekeeping:

Oh dear. Not friendly at all.

Left 2 bags of rubbish sitting on our kitchen countertop along with empty water bottles.

Never changed the douve cover our child spued milk on.

I had dishes soaking in the sink, and housekeeping then put them in the dishwasher..... Lazy!

Car Parking:

We hired a car for 3 days, and what a joke the carpark was... really comes as no surprise. Pretty sure it was made purely for golf carts to get down there (we hired a VW Passat), there is no lift to the basement (to the very bottom where hotel guests are required to park), the hours you can enter and leave are ridiculous and if you don't abide by these you will be charged penalties.... As if $22 a day for parking isn't already a joke when you are a guest at the hotel, and you must take your car keys to reception and leave them there everytime also. Thank fully they only charged us for 1 days parking (the least they could do).

Final words:

Can't believe this hotel is rated 4 1/2 stars, when you go across the road to The Intercontinental which is rated 5 stars. AAA Tourism Pty Ltd, you need your heads scanned for a brain. Who are you kidding rating this hotel 4 1/2 stars??!! There is a massive, massive, massive difference between the 2 hotels, and it amazed me that only 1/2 a star separate them. The maximum stars I would give Oaks on Collins is 2 1/2 and that is being generous. I was tempted to sleep in the Botanical Gardens!

The Oaks chain/franchise was supposed to have a $70+ million dollar makeover last year. Really not too sure where the money was spent, either you had a terrible project manager or interior designers who had no idea what they were doing.

What an absolute joke! Oaks, you seriously need to get your bums into gear and re-renovate, hire appropriate well trained staff or sell to a proper hotelier. Maybe your managers should go over to the Intercontinental to be shown how a proper hotel is run and how it's staff interact with guests.

Bitterly, bitterly disappointed in an understatement. We will never again stay or recommend the Oaks chain to anyone, it only takes one apple to spoil the cart. Oh, and please don't respond to me with an apology, I don't care and I don't want to hear the excuses, it won't make the situation any better unless you are offering a refund. Maybe you should take on board the negative reviews (as there seems to be an awful lot of them) and do something about it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

At the outset please accept our sincere apologies that your stay was not up to a standard that Oaks Hotels & Resorts strive for.

Your comments have been discussed in depth with our senior management team and due to the number of issues that you had experienced I will contact you directly to discuss.

Kind Regards
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at Oaks on Collins in a Studio room (No Refund 2+ Nights) from 28 November to 2 December 2014. We made the decision to book the hotel due to its cheap rates and central location. Shortly before 28 November, however, we read multiple bad reviews about Oaks on Collins on Trip Advisor, which made us extremely worried about our impending stay. On our arrival at the hotel, however, we were pleasantly surprised. Our room was lovely, and I would not hesitate to stay at Oaks on Collins again in the future.

My aim of this review is to address a lot of the criticisms which left us concerned before seeing the hotel and our Studio room for ourselves.

Room configuration:
Our room was fantastic. It was quite large and spacious, featuring a comfortable bed, a couch, tv, desk and chair, as well as a large kitchenette with plenty of storage. Our room also had a balcony. The bathroom was small, however the fittings were very modern and clean. My only criticism would be that the bathroom basin lacks space for a lady who enjoys applying cosmetics. The bathroom was close to the bed, however we did not have a problem with this because apart from sleeping, we spent very little time in the hotel room. Some reviews said that the cupboards in the kitchen are ridiculously high. This is true – however unless you plan on utilising these cupboards (which is extremely unlikely considering the amount of workspace and alternate cupboards which are contained within the kitchenette) you probably won’t be bothered by this.

The bathroom:
After reading a lot of negative reviews, my main concern before commencing our stay at the Oaks on Collins was the bathroom’s apparent lack of privacy due to the frosted glass. I personally had no problem with the frosted glass while staying at the Oaks. You cannot see in or out of the bathroom while the door is shut. If you press your hand against the glass you can see the outline of the hand, but that is all. I thought that the frosted glass was a nice modern touch, and made the room feel more open and spacious (opposed to the bathroom being cornered off through bricks etc).

Luggage/stairs:
A lot of the negative reviews that I read said that you have to haul your own luggage up the stairs before reaching an elevator. Yes – you do have to carry your own luggage up approximately eight stairs before reaching the lifts, however despite my extremely small stature I did not have a problem with this.

Staff:
Some of the reviews I read before leaving said some staff members were rude. All of the staff that my boyfriend and I encountered while staying at the Oaks on Collins were friendly, warm and helpful. I could not fault the staff in any way.

I would have no hesitation in recommending the Oaks on Collins to a friend, and I would be more than happy to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
OaksCollins, Manager at Oaks on Collins Street, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post this detailed feedback.

It is truly pleasing to hear that you found us to be a great hotel and that you would recommend us.

We are glad that you found the room lovely and your comments about our staff being friendly, warm and helpful have been forwarded to the team with thanks.

Your review is greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Oaks on Collins on your next visit.

NSW, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

My daughter and I stayed for two nights in November 2013.
Spectacular views of from room
Was not really impressed with the set out of the room.
Was supposed to be a king suite.
It was a double bed and a lounge.
The configuration of the room should be altered.
Opposite the bed was a HUGE glass mirror. Very strange place to put such a huge mirror.
The television was not able to be watched from the bed.
The bathroom was all glass, so if you were in the main part of the room you could see everything that was happening in the bathroom.
You had to squeeze past and around the bed to get to the bathroom.

On the upside the breakfast was amazing, but scrambled eggs were mainly water.
Staff were fantastic.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback.
It is pleasing to hear that you found the staff fantastic and the breakfast amazing - Your comments have been forwarded to the team with thanks.

It is unfortunate that you did not like the layout in your room but we have several layouts of teh same room type so am sure that we have one that suits your taste.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Oaks on Collins on your next visit.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Oaks beginning of December . The location is good , walking distance to shopping , botanical garden . That was unfortunately the only positive thing about this hotel . The personnel was not smiling , the room was hospital like , cold and not cosy . The breakfast was cold and not specially fresh . The bathroom sink was blocked , the pressure in shower was poor .

The biggest disappointment was early check out , at ten o'clock we had to pay extra to stay untill the standard check out time ( twelve noon )

Will not recommend this hotel

• Stayed December 2013
OaksCollins, Manager at Oaks on Collins Street, responded to this review, December 16, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

It is unusual that you found the personnel not smiling as our front desk team gets numerous positive reviews about their friendly service.

Your comments about the breakfast have been discussed with our Executive Chef and the issue about the sink and pressure discussed with our Maintenance Manager and checks put in place in order to avoid a reoccurrence.
Our standard check out time is actually 10am and it is unfortunate that this may have been misunderstood.
We hope you give us teh opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit.

Whangarei, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I travel to Victoria a few times a year and drive long distances and work pretty hard for a few days, so a night or two in Melbourne is a reward.
I'd never stayed here before, but I think I will return.
The rooms are very comfortable and not too large.
A hotel room is really just somewhere to lay my head at night, I like to explore most of the days.
I did need to rest up this time after an exhausting few days as well as do some office work, and I felt right at home.
I didn't need anything from the staff, but those at the front desk were friendly and efficient.
No complaints...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback.

It is pleasing to hear that you found the rooms comfortable and you found our front desk staff friendly and efficient - Your comments have been forwarded to the front desk team with thanks.

Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

The hotel is ok, but the location is far from everything, and unless you are using a tram, it requires long walks to anywhere.
It seems overpriced for what you get.
The TV was the size of a computer monitor!
Despite the room being at the furtherest point in the complex, you could easily hear the lifts all day.

There is a slight lip between the bedroom and bathroom, a trip hazard.

The gym is very basic, no dumbbells or weights. Whoever works out there willl suffocate from the smell of rubber.

Don't waste money on a taxi, use Skybus Airport Express to get there and back, only costs $28 return! One way can be up to $50 for a taxi.

Room Tip: If you are staying overnight, it is two blocks from Southern Cross Station.