Forced to stay at the Oaks because everywhere else was fully booked, it was easy to see why this was the last hotel to fill its rooms - assuming that all the rooms were like the one in which I stayed.
I was offered no help with bringing suitcases to the room - largely because the concierge desk was left unattended (as it was whenever I passed it). The reception desk was understaffed with the result that there were constant queues and delays.
Carpets were thin with dirty marks on them. The bathroom is a tiny cubicle within the bedroom and screened only with frosted glass. It is so small there was no room even for a towel rail (clean towels were left on the bed and, when they were wet, there was nowhere to hang them. (The towels were so thin, they feel like dishcloths). All the bathroom fittings were inadequately fastened to the wall, so they leaned drunkenly and anything placed on them tended to slide off.
Storage is confined to a wardrobe with a small number of coat hangers (and of course they are the style that have to be unhooked before they can be used). There are no drawers for socks etc. The three shelves were at a height that I had to stand on a chair to see in to any but the lowest of them (and I am 6 ft 2 ins).
Housekeeping asked if I wanted the room to be cleaned and when I said "yes" then asked again if I wanted it vacuumed! I could not be sure if this was because they seriously expected the answer "no".
There is no external window. The window opens on to a corridor.
After all this, the price was ridiculously high and - to cap the whole sorry experience - a notice at the check out counter informs the customer that, if paying by credit card, there is an extra 1 1/2%. How many people are going to pay cash at $350 a night?
The overall impression was of scrimping on facilities to provide the absolute minimum (and in a number of aspects well below the acceptable minimum as noted in this review), while charging a premium price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oaks on Collins is located in the heart of Melbourne’s business and financial centre, opposite Rialto Towers. Just outside the door is the city’s vibrant entertainment, restaurant, and shopping precinct, while Bourke Street, Southgate, the Crown Entertainment complex and Telstra Dome are a short stroll away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, HotelTravel.com and Agoda so you can book your Oaks on Collins reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oaks On Collins Street Hotel Melbourne
- Oaks On Collins Street Melbourne
- Oaks Collins
- Oaks Hotel Melbourne
- Oaks Melbourne