“Suit single person” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks on Collins Street

You added Oaks on Collins Street to your Saves list
Oaks on Collins Street
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   480 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #123 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
hobart
“Suit single person”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Hotel location fantastic, as were the facilities. However I stayed with 2 friends in a studio executive and even though I read reviews the bathroom really is not suitable for a share room. Frosted glass is very see through, we decided it was best to leave the light off. The bathrooms are also very small. These rooms are definitely more suited to a single person and I would highly recommend not going here for for a romantic holiday.

The staff were lovely and I asked for a quiet room on a higher level which I received. Prices were very reasonable for the location

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Dunedin, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I arrived late and it was lovely to be greeted by the reception staff who were friendly and helpful. However, I had booked an "Luxuriously appointed, self contained, New York Style EXECUTIVE STUDIOS" (wording from wotif). I have to say it was roomy, the furntiture and fittings were good (bed a tad uncomfortable) ... but the configuration of the room was wierd. the TV was up over the wee entranceway, which was fine from the bed, but not from the sofa. It was also quite small and old (the TV) a, so the remote had to be pressed really hard to get it to change channels. the airconditioning didn't really work - well it did but very slowly so I was quite cold. It was also noisy, so I ended up turning it off to sleep...hence the getting cold. Another wee bug bear I had was the term 'luxuriously appointed' .. in my opinion it is a good standard room, but not luxurious. I've been in luxurious hotels - with slippers, robes, nice soaps, etc. so a bit misleading in the title.

What I will say is good about it (aside from the people working there) is its location - so handy to the train and bus station and good cafes/restaurants.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks on Collins Street, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks on Collins. It is wonderful to read that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful and the location of our hotel convenient to your needs. We would like to apologise for the maintenance issues you had with the remote and air con in your apartment. I will inform the Maintenance Manager of your comments. In regards to the wording of the room description, I will pass your comments onto our Reservations Manager and Online Marketing Manager for their attention. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Had booked a "studio" style suite for 8 days. Upon arrival on a Saturday, realised that our room had no window to the outside world, and what would laughably be called a "bathroom" about two square metres in size which was separated from the "studio" by frosted glass panels and frosted glass sliding door, which were somewhat see-through.

In a sentence, no natural light, no fresh air, no bathroom privacy was unacceptable.

Complained about the room to the concierge only to learn that this layout was normal for "studio" suites and anything better would require an upgrade fee. After insisting that the room was inadequate and requesting an upgrade or cancellation, learned that a cancellation within the first 48 hours would forfeit the entire amount paid. Not satisfied, requested to speak to a person in authority only to learn that they would not be available until Monday.

Disappointed and at an impasse with the staff, we persevered until Tuesday when the room became unbearable. Once again complained about the room to concierge but this time was able to upgrade to a "2 bed cosmo" suite for an extra $50/night. After further negotiation managed to get the upgrade for an extra $40/night. This had solved the natural light and bathroom privacy issues, but still no fresh air.

Noted inconsistencies between the contents of the kitchens of the two rooms which I thought would have been standard for all rooms, e.g. first room had a toaster, second room did not; but instead had a saucepan which the first room did not have.

Also noticed that many of the wall fittings in the bathroom look like they are going to come away from the wall at any second, as the wall plugs are visible and the fittings are no longer perpendicular to the wall but at an angle to it.

The positives? The rooms were clean and cleaned daily, including the dishes. Certainly weren't staying in a favela, but expected more from a four star hotel which had been paid well over a thousand dollars for our stay.

Room Tip: Never go by the photos from the hotel website. Instead, look at the photos posted on here or faceboo...
Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks on Collins. We apologise for the disappointment you felt in regards to the room you were originally allocated. When booking a Studio, our guests are informed that the rooms are internal facing with no exterior windows. We apologise if this was not communicated with you correctly upon booking. We do offer some rooms which have bigger bathrooms however these apartments face the back of the building. All of our apartments are supplied with toasters, as your second room did not have one perhaps it was unfortunately due for replacement which should have occurred prior to your checking in. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I expected more from a supposed 4 star rated property.

We paid for a rooftop penthouse type suite. it was one large room and it was basic.
Balcony was tiny and the heat on the rooftop was bad, aircon good, but hallways were hot.

Not suite at all. We will not be back.

The Car Park>>> This was a privately owned expensive exercise. I refused to leave my keys at reception after self parking my Landcruiser in the only place that it would fit. I was slugged an extra $25 per day.
I noted that some vehicles were jacked up 1.5 metres so that other cars could be parked under the elevated ones. Nice new Audi with a Mercedes under it! That is why I kept the keys....

Room Tip: Get a train or a bus, only stay one night.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback in regards to your recent stay at Oaks on Collins. We apologise the apartment you booked did not meet your expectations. We always aim to provide guests with descriptions which best match our rooms. That way our guests can make a decision which suits their needs. The parking at our hotel is a public car park run by an outside company. The facility is used by our guests as well as the general public and the attendants work very closely with us to ensure everything runs effectively. As the attendants park the cars, guests are asked to leave their keys with us and if the car is required throughout the stay, it will be organising for them to collect their keys from either reception or the attendants. The very best care is taken with all cars using the facility. We do hope that you will consider returning to Oaks on Collins or another one of our fine properties soon to experience the best of what Oaks Hotels & Resorts has to offer.
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

While clean and the fittings appear new, the room was rather oddly designed, perhaps because the hotel appears to be in a converted office building.
The bathroom was in a section of the room that was only walled off with smoked glass, while a kitchen unit was in the other corner.
As I was travelling by myself and did not use the kitchen, this was not much of a problem, but a little more separation between bathroom and bedroom would be preferable if travelling as a couple.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here over my wedding weekend so I could get ready for my big day stress free and in comfort. The room on first impressions looked fine until I realized there was one window which did not let any natural light in at all. Instead I got to view a door, pathway and some weird looking pot plant in some enclosure and also full view of another guests room (so couldn't really keep the curtains open)

The bathroom was the most ridiculous bathroom I've experienced in a hotel. It not only was 2 feet away from where you slept but was also tiny (it was smaller then the bathrooms in Japan when I travelled there!) There was nowhere to put toiletries so instead I had to keep them out on the table in the lounge proudly on display for everyone. There was frosted glass dividing the bathroom from the bed so when the light was on you were woken up also! Not to mention the treat of hearing everything going on in the toilet. The air conditioner was broken and it was a humid weekend so I had no ventilation from the broken air conditioner neither could I open the window to let air in because there was no natural air to be let in not to mention the awkwardness of having other guests being able to look right in on you! It proved to be difficult getting my hair and make up done for my wedding in the dark. Had I known how ridiculous this hotel was going to be I think I would have preferred to just get ready at home and saved money.

• Stayed February 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks on Collins. We sincerely regret you did not enjoy your room facilities and that this impacted on your time preparing for your wedding. Our reception staff are available to assist guests with any queries and concerns you may have during your stay, it is important to us to provide guests with a pleasurable stay, whether it be for business or leisure. I am unsure if you contacted reception to advise of your disappointment at the time. This allows us the opportunity to discuss the options available to you to potentially relocate you to an apartment style more in line with your expectations and requirements to ensure you enjoy your time with us. We do hope that you will consider returning to Oaks on Collins or another one of our fine properties soon to experience the best of what Oaks Hotels & Resorts has to offer.
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Nice room and great position in the city. The position of the bathroom is weird. Having the toilet 2 meters away from your bed pillow is rather odd. Breakfast was good anfd the staff friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks on Collins Street, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks on Collins. We are pleased you found your room to be nice and our hotel to be in a great position. I will pass your comments onto the Hotel Manager in regards to our friendly staff. We note your comments of the close proximity of the bathroom to the bed. For the explanation of readers of this review, please note the bathroom is screened off from the bedroom with a frosted glass wall. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Been to Oaks on Collins Street? Share your experiences!