“Convenient location, public transportation right at the doorstep.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks on Collins Street

Save Saved
You added Oaks on Collins Street to your Saves list
Oaks on Collins Street
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   480 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Stay 3 Nights & Save 15%!
Ranked #127 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Dubai
“Convenient location, public transportation right at the doorstep.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We stayed at Oaks on Collins for 2 weeks. The room was spacious and clean, I like the big windows and glass door that leads to a balcony. The bed was nice and comfortable. There was some noise, not too loud, in the morning at about 6 I think its the garbage truck in the alley but it didn't bother me. Bathroom walls are made of frosted glass which was not very private if you have people staying with you. You can almost see and hear what the person is doing and it being so close to the bed (about a foot away) doesn't help. Staff was helpful and the room service people were efficient and friendly. Kitchen staff were helpful too when I ordered food. You have to pay for internet. I didn't like the elevator which requires the room card for you to press which which floor you're going, I thought that was not very convenient specially when there are a several people in the elevator with you. The thing I liked best is the location. Trams are just outside. Southern Cross train station is a 5-minute walk away. Lots of shops, cafes and food courts around. We didn't have any problems with this hotel so I wouldn't mind staying here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks on Collins Street, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your recent stay at Oaks on Collins.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the location of our hotel convenient. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

625 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I was forced to stay here regularly for work and have never enjoyed it. The staff are probably the rudest I have ever come across and will not go out of their way for any type of client. Trying to get an iron or additional towels is a nightmare. The studio rooms make you feel like you are sleeping on the toilet and are very very small. I do not recommend for a couple or family seeking a nice stay in Melbourne. Even for an overnight stay only for work, I always feel miserable afterwards.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at Oaks on Collins.
We apologise for the disappointment you felt at the standard of service you received. We continually strive to provide the very highest levels of service in all our hotels and it is disappointing to know that we failed to achieve this. Please be assured your concerns will be raised with the staff and the General Manager of Learning & Development.
We do hope you will consider staying with Oaks Hotels & Resorts again soon in order to experience the high level of service to which we aspire.
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Silly us for not looking on trip advisor prior to booking this room. We went on the advice of a friend who said it was ok, obviously their expectations are very different to ours.

First downside for us was having to lug our suitcases, pram and child up the flight of stairs to the elevator whilst the concierge looked on. When we reached the elevators we had to ask him if we could borrow a luggage trolley as it didn't look like help was on offer. He kindly lent us the trolley to lug all our suitcases up the room ourselves. Now I know its no five star but just looking on as guests drag their suitcases up the stairs was a bit much.

Secondly, on getting to our room (we booked for 2 adults and 1 child) we find that the rollaway bed hadn't been set up and there would have been no room for it, so we had to take out a roll away table that was clumsily stored in front of a balcony door. When the rollaway arrived we had no where to put it that would have allowed us to use the rest of the room (ie the couch, the kitchenette or the bed). Finally settled on having to move the couch around to accomodate the rollaway. There also was not a lot of space to store your luggage and as the room was so tiny felt boxed in the entire stay. The kitchenette was ill equipped, we had to ring reception for plates, bowls and cutlery oh and the linen/towels for our daughter.

The carpet was old, dated and stained and we felt bad having our daughter play on the floor, that we ended up laying down one of the bed rugs on the floor for her. The windows and balcony door only had old cracked blinds, no curtains so if we wanted to let some light in the whole world could see us from adjoining buildings, so our entire stay was with the blinds down which ended up feeling like we were in a coffin!

Now to the main bed and the bathroom, as other reviewers have said, the bathroom was so close to the bed you could reach out and touch it. No privacy for the toilet and if you put the bathroom light on at night, it would annoy everyone else in the room as there was a frosted glass wall and the light shone through. The bathroom was absolutely hideous! Tiny, no storage space, no shower cubicle only a 1/4 shower curtain that shielded NOTHING! No bath, which travelling with a 2.5 year old was not ideal. There was no vanity, only a basin, so no where to store anything or even put a toothbrush or glass of water next to. OMG thinking about the bathroom gives me the creeps. If they did it any cheaper, there would have been a hole in the floor and a shower rose! No kidding! There was a cupboard over the toilet with hairdryer, toilet paper etc and power points. The only power points in the bathroom, which if you were using to do your hair you couldn't look in the mirror because the cord kept flinging the door open, and doing hair and make up right over a toilet isn't very appealing!

The pool isn't heated. Not sure what hotels with pools in Melbourne aren't heated but this one wasn't, so hanging out at the hotel with a child was a nightmare and there was zero to do here! Also the TV in the room was tiny and was placed so high was a pain to watch. The pillows were uncomfortable and the bed not much better. We asked reception if there was any other pilllow options as 2 nights on these ones had been more than we could take, their answer NO.

We stayed here over easter and apparently there should have been a note left on our door to notify us that cleaning staff would be limited over this period due to the public holidays. We didn't receive this message, and on the 3rd day our room still had not been replenished or cleaned. When we rang down to reception, we were informed that if we wanted to have our room cleaned, we were supposed to have let reception know! I have stayed in many hotels and have never had to advise staff, that we wanted our room cleaned! When I said I wanted my room cleaned, the answer I received was sorry, you had to let us know and that they couldn't do it now.

We were supposed to stay 4 nights here, but after the phone call to reception stating they wouldn't clean our room, we made a fuss and were transferred to the Oaks on Market their sister hotel. This was 100 times better and we were happy!

I would never stay here again and never recommend anyone to book here ever! This place either needs to be torn down and rebuilt, or a total renovation done. The ergonomics of the rooms are wrong, they are old, outdated, impractical, uncomfortable and budget accommodation at best! Their cost cutting measures with cleaning staff on holidays is unacceptable. I do acknowledge the great job the reception staff did on transferring 3 very unhappy holidayer's to their other hotel for the rest of our stay.

Room Tip: You will be happier elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks on Collins Street, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at Oaks on Collins. We would like to apologise for the disappointment you felt regarding the studio in which you stayed. Please contact our customer feedback office on customerfeedback@theoaksgroup.com.au if you wish to discuss this matter further. We do hope that you will stay with Oaks Hotels & Resorts again soon to experience the quality apartments for which we are renowned for.
Saipan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I was in Melbourne for a convention and the Southern Cross Station (where I took the Skybus into the city) is only about a 10 minute walk. The convention center is about 20 minutes away on foot as well. The room is big and there is internet access (for a fee) and it also has kitchen facilities. The Viictoria Market is about 20 minutes away as well so fresh produce, dairy, and seafood is readily available. The kitchen also has everything you need (pans, utensils, etc) to make a meal. The shower/bathroom is a little bit small but it is functional. I was not happy with the TV. It was tiny and the reception was bad.
The service was good and the staff friendly. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks on Collins Street, responded to this review, April 10, 2012

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location convenient. Your comments regarding the television reception have been passed onto our maintenance department for investigation.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Effingham. Surrey UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I was staying on business in Melbourne for 7 days and this hotel is next door to our offices in the CBD and also the cheapest hotel in the CBD.

I have six things I look for in a hotel while I am on business:

1) Comfortable Bed 2) Lack of noise in room 3) Lack of light in room 4) Good shower 5) Good Wifi or Internet access 6) Central Location to my office/meetings

The Oaks on Collins failed on Numbers 2, 3 and 5 for me.

The noise was by far the worst. There is no sound proofing on the busy Collins St. The air conditioning units at the back of room (514) created a constant drone hard to shut out. I was woken up most nights by drunken people shouting down the side streets and at 6am each morning by the bleep of street cleaning machines. However the worst was saved for Saturday, the one day I wanted a lie in. Building work in Church Lane started at 7am with an angle grinder being used between 7am and 9am. The outside noise was not the fault of the hotel but the complete lack of any sound proofing is!

Next light pollution, the blinds in my room were cracked and old meaning light was able to enter the room at first light.

Finally the Internet was very expensive. I am used to free internet in the hotels around the world I stay in but not in Australia. Wifi was $1.10 for 10 minutes. I refused to pay this. I went down to the Virgin Mobile shop off Collins Street. I bought a PAYG Mobile Mobile with 6 Gb of Internet Access for $39 Australian Dollars. This latest me the two weeks I was in Australia

The room was OK but quite old and tired. The fridge was useless. It froze anything I put inside it. My milk and fizzy drinks became frozen solid.

The shower and bathroom was fine but small and it was quite bizarre it was only two feet from my bed.

If you want a good night's sleep on business stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 514 and 513 as they back on to air conditioning units which are noisy
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for providing detailed feedback regarding your recent stay at Oaks on Collins.

It is disappointing to hear that you felt a number of aspects of your stay were unsatisfactory.
As Oaks on Collins is currently going through a refurbishment, we will pass your feedback regarding the blinds in your room onto our product design team for their consideration.

Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

My husband was in Melbourne for work and I joined him for the last three nights of the trip. The first night I was there we were in what I believe is a standard room. The room was clean, but the carpet had bleach stains on it and whilst had been vacumed was a bizarre choice for a hotel carpet. The bed was small and the mattress had a dip in it. The bathroom was very small with no storage space. The bathroom was right next to (and I mean reach out and touch it) the bed, with only a frosted glass wall and door for privacy. So, no privacy and if one of you wakes up early or in the night, the bathroom light will wake you as it beams onto the bed. The TV high on the wall was bizarre. Did not use the small kitchenette but looked clean.

For the next two nights we moved to a room vacated by a colleague of my husbands who said it was better than the standard. This room had two bedrooms, a larger sofa and kitchen area (and the bizarre curtain around the bed commented on by other reviewers). The bathroom was larger, but again no storage. If you were two couples or a family in this room I do not know where you would put your toiletries. The bed was firm and much better than the previous room. Again, the carpet was stained, but was clean (if you know what I mean) and the room overall was clean. The rooms overall were poorly designed and in particular the space in the double room was not maximised.

The location was very good, right in the heart of Collins street, easy walk to southbank, bourke street mall, cafes, bars, etc. The price of $160 was cheaper than we have paid in Melbourne before and given the location, was a good price. But would I recommend it or stay there again? I think if you are travelling solo for a night or two and want a " crash pad " whilst you hit the city then this is a good option. If you are a couple or family wanting a relaxing or romantic time (i.e. you anticipate being in your room for more than a quick wash and change of clothes before heading out) then I would not recommend it, which is a shame as a lot of this downsides we experienced were due to the bizarre design. It was on the whole better than I had feared given the other reviews, but would only stay again if I had to.

Room Tip: two bedroom rooms were better option
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks on Collins Street, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Many thanks for providing feedback regarding your recent stay at Oaks on Collins.

It is disappointing to read that you felt some aspects of your stay were unsatisfactory. We always aim to provide a stay that is both enjoyable and exceeds guest expectations and we apologise that we did not achieve this during your stay.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future to experience the best that Oaks on Collins has to offer.
Shepparton, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised with the Oaks on Collins. Especially after our last disastrous stay at a hotel that we had booked over the internet. It helps to read the reviews before booking.

We stayed in a balcony room which was quite nicely decorated and clean.

We have some negatives which could be easily resolved.

Bathroom basin in the kitchen not at all suitable, mattress had quite a dip in the middle and there is definitely a need for an overhead light over the desk for reading and computer work.

Location very handy.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks on Collins Street, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Thank you for commenting on your stay at Oaks on Collins. We are glad we could accommodate you and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Been to Oaks on Collins Street? Share your experiences!