“Good hotel and location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alto Hotel on Bourke

You added Alto Hotel on Bourke to your Saves list
Alto Hotel on Bourke
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   636 Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Offers & Announcements
5% off + Free WiFI
Ranked #7 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
France
“Good hotel and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed one week at the Alto hotel.
The building is fairly old, but the room seemed recently renovated with all the comfort needed; good bed, small kitchen, nice bathroom.
The room is kept very clean, the towels etc good quality and condition.
I was in a room facing back, so did not have much of a view, but it was very quiet.
The hotel location is good, only a couple of minutes walk from the Southern Cross station in the Central Business District, with access to trams just outside the door and a 15-20 minute walk to Federation Square and the main tourist streets around Elisabeth and Swanston.
On the downside, I cannot recommend the breakfast restaurant which has limited choice and does not have the same high standard as the rooms. I went elsewhere for breakfast most of the time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
AltoMelbourne, General Manager at Alto Hotel on Bourke, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and found your room quiet and comfortable. I am sorry that you did not find our breakfast matched other elements of the hotel. Most guests are asking for value. Therefore we charge $16 for a continental buffet that many hotels charge $25+. Our full breakfast that includes the buffet plus your choice from 14 hot dishes cooked to order instead of self serve from hot plates where the food may spoil starts from $19 up to $24 which most hotels would charge $30+.

Our continental buffet includes croissants, muffins, a range of breads for toasting 12 or more different fresh and preserved fruits, yoghurts, cereals including bircher muesli, fruit juices, espresso and filterer coffee and teas.

Our hot dishes that are cooked to order include the popular egg based dishes plus toasted brioche with avocado & cream cheese, mixed mushrooms on sourdough with fetta, pancakes, bruschetta of spinach, tomato fetta and basil plus french toast.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

From the moment we arrived we felt comfortable. The friendly staff were helpful. We liked the complementary cappuccino available from the machine in the breakfast room We found our room to be very clean and very quiet. The location close to the Southern Cross Station was handy.We are happy to stay again when next in Melbourne .

Room Tip: Away from elevator
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Petaluma, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Nice room. Very clean. Just as the pictures showed. Centeral location in city. Perfect for our short stay. Not much of a restaurant more of a breakfast bar. When to the casino down te street for dinner was pricey but good pricey.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

A very enjoyable stay. Extremely well maintained premises - I suspect they have the painter in every week to brush out scuff marks on walls etc. Very well located near Southern Cross station and the airport shuttle. Breakfast choices not as large as a bigger hotel but very good quality and more than adequate. Very good value for a Melbourne CBD

Room Tip: Ask for a back room if you was a quiet retreat.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Booked the Alto based on reviews and were not disappointed. Check in was a breeze and soon found our room on the second floor. Nice well equipped room with plenty of space and comfortable bed.
Had breakfast included and was served in small comfortable restaurant. Great food and coffee.
Staff were helpful re the trams and provided wifi connection.
We made use of the excellent laundry facilities as well.
All in all excellent location, tram stop outside and close to the train and bus stations.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed here for three nights this week on business.

This compact hotel is very 'European-style' in appearance, housed in a lovely character building that has been adaptively reused. It has all sorts of green creds, including wind turbines to provide its power and a rooftop beehive to provides its breakfast honey. It is in a great location at the Spencer Street end of Bourke Street, with the tram on your door and a 3 minute walk to Southern Cross Station. It would suit the business traveller or the tourist seeking a city break.

I stayed in a studio. The room was very small but perfectly comfortable, and the bed was great - I had a wonderful sleep every night I was there. I appreciated the kitchenette as I was staying for a few doors. I had a drink in the cosy little bar on the ground floor which is a nice little space (also where breakfast is served but I had my own breakfast in my room as I had an early start each day).

I thought everything about the room and the location was great. My only issue was that I had to make a change to the number of nights I was staying (such that I would be staying three nights instead of four). The hotel was pretty inflexible about this, requiring me to pay a full night for the other night. This is their perogative, but many other hotels would just charge you a half day rate as a penalty (if they charge a penalty at all), and I think that is a better approach to entice return business travellers. I do travel to Melbourne quite often, and will probably consider staying here again, but I will think twice and book somewhere else if there is any chance I might need to have a bit of flexibility to respond to changes in my work requirements etc. So the message is, if they had a little bit more flexibility about booking changes, it would more likey encourage my return patronage on future business trips.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in April 2013. Located on the western end of Melbourne CBD close to Spencer St station. Tram outside the front door. Older style hotel with modern clean and comfortable rooms. Free WIFI. Green credentials are a bonus. Excellent breakfast which we had included in our pay in advance package. Staff were very helpful when my wife injured he ankle providing ice. The massage chairs are great also.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Alto Hotel on Bourke? Share your experiences!