“Convenient city location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alto Hotel on Bourke

Save Saved
You added Alto Hotel on Bourke to your Saves list
Alto Hotel on Bourke
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   636 Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Offers & Announcements
5% off + Free WiFI
Ranked #6 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Canberra, Australia
“Convenient city location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed here for three nights this week on business.

This compact hotel is very 'European-style' in appearance, housed in a lovely character building that has been adaptively reused. It has all sorts of green creds, including wind turbines to provide its power and a rooftop beehive to provides its breakfast honey. It is in a great location at the Spencer Street end of Bourke Street, with the tram on your door and a 3 minute walk to Southern Cross Station. It would suit the business traveller or the tourist seeking a city break.

I stayed in a studio. The room was very small but perfectly comfortable, and the bed was great - I had a wonderful sleep every night I was there. I appreciated the kitchenette as I was staying for a few doors. I had a drink in the cosy little bar on the ground floor which is a nice little space (also where breakfast is served but I had my own breakfast in my room as I had an early start each day).

I thought everything about the room and the location was great. My only issue was that I had to make a change to the number of nights I was staying (such that I would be staying three nights instead of four). The hotel was pretty inflexible about this, requiring me to pay a full night for the other night. This is their perogative, but many other hotels would just charge you a half day rate as a penalty (if they charge a penalty at all), and I think that is a better approach to entice return business travellers. I do travel to Melbourne quite often, and will probably consider staying here again, but I will think twice and book somewhere else if there is any chance I might need to have a bit of flexibility to respond to changes in my work requirements etc. So the message is, if they had a little bit more flexibility about booking changes, it would more likey encourage my return patronage on future business trips.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in April 2013. Located on the western end of Melbourne CBD close to Spencer St station. Tram outside the front door. Older style hotel with modern clean and comfortable rooms. Free WIFI. Green credentials are a bonus. Excellent breakfast which we had included in our pay in advance package. Staff were very helpful when my wife injured he ankle providing ice. The massage chairs are great also.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mt Mee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We have just stayed 5 nights during the Comedy Festival. Was a return visit to this hotel. Great location, easy walk from Southern Cross Station for access to and from the airport. Tram stop just outside the door or an easy walk into the CBD. Staff are great and the rooms are very comfortable and quiet. Fantastic breakfast buffet, especially good value if you can have it included in the room deal. We are revisiting Melbourne in a week and will be spending another 2 nights at the Alto.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed at the Alto in March 2013 , in total we had four people two married adult couples and decided to look for accommodation which could cater as such ,they had a two bedroom apartment on offer which seemed to suit our needs . You are always a bit wary when trying a new hotel, but wary not, this place turned out to be brilliant.
The location is ideal, just a short walk from the depot at Southern Cross where the sky shuttle delivers you from the airport. The tram for getting into central Melbourne is just outside the front of the hotel and going the opposite way takes you to St Kilda terrific. Our arrival was met by one of the many happy staff, with a sense of humor to boot, nothing was to much trouble, so far so good.
The room we had more than catered for our needs with facilities for making your own meals and still big enough to lounge around. But the really good part was the beds possibly the most comfortable i have ever slept on in Melbourne , the week that we arrived was almost a heat wave , but the air conditioning throughout was so good and so effective, and so welcome.

They have a green policy which encourages recycling and most of the buildings electricity is run on wind power and encouraged all types of energy saving devises without scrimping on your overall comfort. I would recommend using Coles for any food items you need , this is located at Southern Cross station, you can obtain alcohol at Coles as well, some of the other shops close by can be a bit more expensive
I cannot vouch for the other double or single rooms but I would think they are just as good if not similar to the quality of the apartment room we had , cost wise it is very competitive with other hotels in fact we found this to be cheaper, you will not be disappointed with the staff or the location.
I look forward to returning to stay here again in the future

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Good service and good location; this hotel has wind turbines which provide all its power plus a few other eco considerations such as re-cycling bin in room and none of those tiny bottles of shampoo/ conditioner (there are re-fillable dispensers instead.)
Lots of food options close by.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with street frontage rather than alley then there'll be more natural light.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed here for over 2 weeks in Jan 2013. Felt welcomed from the moment we stepped into this hotel until we checked out. All staff were extremely friendly and accommodating to all our requests. We had a 2 bed apartment over two floors which, although a little small, had everything we needed. Free wi-fi was an excellent bonus and kept our daughter entertained. Fabulous location with trams only a few meters away and Southern Cross rail at the end of the street. Plenty takeaways and restaurants in the locale. Also got great tips on where to eat from the hotel staff. Only went to breakfast once and had no complaints. Great choice. Also made good use of the complimentary fruit and hot drinks machine on a daily basis. Would definitely stay again x

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Pros:

Room was spotlessless clean and newly decorated. Beds were amazingly comfy. Had everything we needed including the smallest microwave I've ever seen :-)

Hotel is eco friendly, being completely wind powered. They use recycled toilet paper and make it easy to recycle by having a special bin in the room. I thought the skylight was a good touch as well to help save on electricity (we were on the top floor).

Staff were helpful, we were able to arrange late check out for a nominal fee which I thought was totally worth it considering it gave me time to get my toddler into gear for the day ahead.

A few minutes walk from the Southern Cross Station, Sky Bus and tram stops. A few more minutes takes you to a decent sized Coles (supermarket) with a pharmacy, bakery and liquor store as well as fast food eateries. Go the other direction up Bourke St about 10 minutes and you'll come to Hardware Lane which is nothing but great restaurants with live entertainment.

Easy to walk to Southbank, Bourke St shopping area or Harbour Town (well the last one is a good 20 minutes but walking is what you do in Melbourne!). The Alto is in the CBD so it's not at the tourist end but very easy to get to that side by foot if you're in the mood or by the free City Circle tram.

Cons: So small :-) It is Melbourne city centre so space is at a premium. Granted, "small" is a relative term and whether or not you agree will depend on what you're used to. If I'd just come from London or Amersterdam I'd have thought the Alto large or at least "normal". Having arrived from Perth however, our 2 bed superior apartment looked very small indeed.

On balance however it was a good choice and good value. I can't fault them on anything other than the size which is not the hotel's fault and is pretty much par for the course in that part of Melbourne. We enjoyed our stay and I'd be happy to stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the side away from Southern Cross station. The hotel is double glazed but the train...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Alto Hotel on Bourke? Share your experiences!