“Terrific Hotel in great location and wi-fi included!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alto Hotel on Bourke

Hotels.com Orbitz.com
Alto Hotel on Bourke
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   636 Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Special Offer
Book Direct - Save 5%
Ranked #5 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Perth, Australia
“Terrific Hotel in great location and wi-fi included!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I chose this hotel mainly because it's in a fantastic location, conveniently close to Southern Cross Railway Station (and the SkyBus - airport shuttle) AND because the wi-fi was complimentary. Why do other hotels charge extra for wi-fi? I condsider it a traveller's essential. Once I was there, I also realised the trams go right past the front door. I stayed 3 nights in a Studio apartment. The bed would have to be the best I have ever slept in, and the room was very quiet - couldn't hear any street noise. I was impressed with the waste recycling offer and bulk soap/shampoo dispensers in bathroom.The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Breakfast menu had good variety and prompt service. No negative aspects at all. I will definitely stay there again - thanks Alto -well done!

Room Tip: I was on the first floor, and away from the elevator, so maybe that's why my room was so quiet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

722 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
KL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Hotel is close to the Southern Cross Station and ideal if you are coming into the city by Bus or Train. The only setback is that the noise from the trams which really intrudes into the room and the fact that it is at the wrong end of Bourke Street. Overall the rooms were clean and the free WIFI was a bonus.

Room Tip: ask for higher rooms away from Bourke Street.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Maroochydore, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We have stayed here a few times on trips to Melbourne. Great Location, Good breakfast and pleasant staff. Rooms are nicely fitted out - but noise is a real concern as are teh skylights

On our first trip last year we had a room opposite the elevator - we were kept up all night with the comings and goings on our floor, loud voices and long conversations while people wait for the elevator. (not to mention the tram and party goers in the alley way at night) On this trip we asked for a quite room away from the road and elevator and were given a 2 bedroom family room on the forth floor.

Our first concern was the 2nd bedroom had a skylight - great until you want to sleep and even thou the room as a switch to close the skylight, even when closed you can read a book under it! We overlooked it as our kids could sleep with it.

On our last night we returned to our room at 4pm on a Sunday afternoon to a one hell of a racket on our floor - the room next to us was having a party of 60yo golf players who had obviously been on the turps all day and we celebrating the last day of there golf weekend. It was so loud than in our bedroom they may as well have been on our laps. I think we were the only other guests on the floor. We left the hotel about an hour later as we couldn't take it any more and had a quick word to reception on our way out. On our return at 7pm it had become a real drunken shouting match with running in the hallways. After another 90mins we complained to reception again, who rather than investigate decided to ring the room and ask them to be quite. The foul language coming from the room and constant banging of furniture was horrific and after another hour trying to get to sleep we rang reception and they finally came up - some 5 hours after we alerted them - to break it up. So once most of the drunks left , only the 3 or 4 old guys in the room remained, who then played hand ball on our bedroom wall for another hour or so. Not what I would expect in a $400 a night room.

Room Tip: If you must stay here avoid rooms near elevator or facing the road.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Adelaide, South Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Overall I wasn't sure what to expect at the Alto on Bourke, however I can say with confidence that I will choose it again when staying in Melbourne. The room while not huge was clean and comfortable and the bed was excellent. The only minor complaint (almost not worth mentioning) is that the TV could have been wall mounted so it was a little higher.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

By the time I got to Melbourne, I was getting tired of travelling, but staying for three nights at this charming hotel revitalized me. The service, my room, and amenities were great! Free wi-fi in my room, all-day espresso/cappuccino/etc. machine in lobby, massage chairs in relaxation room ... all complimentary. Good directions and restaurant suggestions from friendly, helpful staff. Short walk to railway station, shops and City Circle tram. Only drawback was a noisy garbage truck outside my window at about 5:30 a.m. Used earplugs the next two nights! Also, I'd have died for a bathtub at that point in my travels!

Room Tip: Avoid garbage lane, if possible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dunedin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Over for the Melbourne Cup and a surprised birthday, arriving late and tried from our day of flying we were pleasantly greeted by the late night staff who sorted out a car park and room.
Very clean, well organised rooms with everything handy, CBD, train station and supermarket all within walking distance. We had booked for two nights and returned for a further two nights would not hesitate to recommend and stay again
Thx Alto

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed here whilst in Melbourne for business meetings. The Alto is a very modern hotel that made for an excellent stay.

The rooms are well designed, clean and comfortable. The room was equipped with a good bathroom, an iPod/iPhone dock and I was provided with free wifi which was handy.

The hotel is within walking distance of Spencer Street and its a great launching point to explore the CBD or make your way around the city for meetings. I will happily stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Alto Hotel on Bourke? Share your experiences!