“Very good hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alto Hotel on Bourke

Save Saved
You added Alto Hotel on Bourke to your Saves list
Alto Hotel on Bourke
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   636 Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Offers & Announcements
5% off + Free WiFI
Ranked #6 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Columbia, South Carolina
“Very good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed here in July. It was a very good hotel with a very clean room and comfortable bed. Liked the microwave in the room too. Minutes from the Southern Cross Station so you can take the Air Bus from the airport then a very short walk to the hotel front door. Very nice professional staff managed the reception area. Liked the excellent coffee that was fresh and free all day long. I would have given it an excellent review, but the tram that runs down the street makes a lot of noise from about 5:00AM until 11:00 PM. It's nothing the hotel can control and really not a problem since it is in such a great location. Also worth noting is that I didn't hear any noise from other rooms or the hall. It is a little small and not fancy, but I was looking for a place that was clean, safe, and comfortable as we toured Melbourne.

Room Tip: Ask them if they have rooms that don't have as much noise from the tram.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

This is an excellent hotel. Very close to Southern Cross station. Caught a Skybus from the airport to the station, and was 2 minutes walk to the hotel. The staff are excellent, ensuring I was well look after, and very helpful. The room was comfortable and clean, it even had a microwave!! It is very close to Eitihad statdium, so if you are going to Melbourne to watch the AFL, this is the place to stay

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in the loft apartment. The apartment is very compact and if you have any mobility issues getting up and down the stairs with a suitcase would be an issue. In saying that as a base to explore Melbourne it is great, the trams outside get you to most places including St kilda, Docklands and the Casino. City shopping is within walking distance and we discovered great restaurants along little Bourke St. The kitchen is quite well equipped and we took advantage of the great food on offer at the Queen Vic markets.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights in the loft apartment. The rooms are not really big but very cozy and comfortable. It had a decent pantry. The toilets were a little small but very clean. The free coffee/cappucino in the lobby restaurant was an added bonus! The hotel is well kept and clean although it looks very old from the outside. The location is also very convenient to train station, trams and dining outlets. We had a pleasant and an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: There isn't any good view but I think all rooms are good.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

We booked the Alto on Bourke for three nights as it seemed to offer the best value/location/comfort in the city and we were not disappointed! The rooms are decently sized, spotlessly clean and well-equipped with an iPod dock, kitchenette etc. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet so we had good sleep every night. Parking is nearby and very reasonable and the free wifi is a real bonus. We looked forward to breakfast each morning - bacon, eggs, pancakes or French toast all cooked to order as well as a nice buffet selection. The hotel is well situated with a tram stop just outside and the free circle tram only a couple of blocks away. In any case, the main sights of central Melbourne are easily accessible by foot.

We had a great stay - thank you Alto on Bourke!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lakes Entrance
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Spent 3 nights here, the rooms are well serviced, clean and fitted out, a little small but adequate and comfortable. Great thing is that you can actually open a window and get fresh air, not often these days and great. There is double glazing to reduce noise. Restaurant small with a limited menu so if busy get down for breakfast early. Great little relaxation area with a "log" fire and the coffee machine a great add on. Staff helpful. Parking is offsite but only a couple of minutes away. This is a great location for train travellers who want to be central in the city.

Room Tip: Upper floors reduce noise from street.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
AltoMelbourne, General Manager at Alto Hotel on Bourke, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Thank you JJ689 for your comments, we are glad that you enjoyed many of the features we have in place to make our guests comfortable. I hope you also made good use of the free WiFi. Our location is convenience for train and airport express shuttle services and equally convenient for Etihad Stadium, Convention Centre, Aquarium, Casino and a pleasant walk to the Bourke Street Mall & Queen Victoria Market.
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

My partner and I stayed here last weekend. We found the hotel was of good location and comfortable to stay at. I would definitely stay here again. The man at the front desk was very friendly and informative.

We went downstairs for breakfast both mornings we were there. The food was great, however, when I had specificially asked for my egg welldone, only one came back fully cooked all the way. I was disappointed to find this happen on the second day as well, especially after I finished explaining how I wanted my eggs cooked on both sides to ensure that there was absolutely no runny egg (as I am pregnant and any uncooked meat products can harm my unborn child.) None the less, I still enjoyed my meal. I found the price to be reasonable for the quality and the variety on the menu was excellent. I was impressed by this.

The rooms were tidy and the beds were comfortable, as were the pillows. Which at some hotels I've found isn't the case all the time. I often find it hard to get to sleep in a bed that isn't my own, I didn't have this problem here.

As I stated previously, the location is great. Close to pubs and places to eat. I always found things were easy to get to and not a hard time to find.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay. I'd definitely recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Alto Hotel on Bourke? Share your experiences!