“Not more than a short stay!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Nomads Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Nomads Melbourne to your Saves list
Nomads Melbourne
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   A'Beckett St. 196-198, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #13 of 27 Melbourne B&B and Inns
Moscow, Russia
“Not more than a short stay!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

The only advantage is the location, in the center of the city. The free #35 “historical” circular tram stops by side. The Southern Gate rail station is 7 min to walk. You can return at night from Swanston str. by foot. Everything is near.
BUT! The floors are dirty everywhere. Especially in the rooms. The litter bins stay overfilled for 2 days. The young girls-and-boys at the reception are too lazy to answer the most common questions and never can help. The check-out in this hostel is 10.00, the penalty is dreadful! Why??
A place for a short stay to see Melbourne.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Nomads11, General Manager at Nomads Melbourne, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thanks for your feedback, yes our location is amazing however we also understand the importance of having a clean, fun, customer serviced environment. We have cleaners on 4 times a day and work hard to keep the property presented well, we are currently reworking our cleaning schedule and I’ve taken on one extra person. Our staff are usually eager to help out every guest, though it might get a little busy at times. We are always trying to improve our services, definitely will use this as input! Check out is at 10am at every hostel, we do this to ensure we have time to turn around the beds for the next guests who are eager to check in and start their Melbourne experience.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bergen, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed at Nomads Melbourne for 1 month while trying to find a more permanent place to stay in Melbourne.

The rooms are pretty cramped, stayed in a 6-share for a couple of weeks and then a 8-share, but nothing out of the ordinary. The beds were pretty horrible the first couple of days, creaking at the slightest touch. All the beds were changed within a couple of days, and the creaking stopped.

The kitchen was usually pretty crammed, and was way to small. Most of the cooking tops didn't seem to work either.

The bar was pretty good, and with happy hours from 5 pm til 9 pm it wasn't to expensive getting a drink there.

A'Beckett Street is a very noisy street. It's always some construction work going on, there are street sweepers passing by regularly, and the costumers at the local Harley Davidson shop seem to have a need of trying out their bikes on the few meters of asphalt that are available on this street. But seeing that the street is close to pretty much everything, it was a rather good location!

The cleanliness of the place was pretty much as expected, some vacuuming being done every day, but that's pretty much it. Also it seemed as if though the thicker bed sheets weren't replaced, only the thinner linen. The showers weren't cleaned very good, and the ventilation shafts hadn't seen a proper dusting for quite a while.

The elevator was crappy. It broke a couple of times during my first week, reducing the amount of the people allowed from 6 to 4. And if the elevator broke one had to pay a fee of approximately $2000 to repair it.

The pricing seemed to vary depending on what was going on in Melbourne, and the demand. If there was a large event going on, the price went substantially up. I met people paying everything from 31 to 46 dollars during my stay.

I did enjoy my stay at Nomads, but am glad it only lasted for a month. I met a lot of nice people and got some new friends during my stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Very glad you enjoyed your stay with Nomads. We are always working to improve the place, as you mentioned we just recently received an entire set of new bunks, no more squeaks which we are all excited about! We have rearranged the kitchen, giving it a bit more space and have doubled the number of fridges which has made a massive difference. Currently re-working our cleaning schedules to improve cleanliness.
The elevator is due for an upgrade, however as has happened in all summer when we get 9 people in there when it’s designed for less it struggles.
Look forward to you staying with us again when you next need a bed in Melbourne!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

The 14 bed dorm wasn't too bad for size, but everything else felt cramped. Kitchen was small and usually full. The shower it the room was tiny. The music at the bar made it hard to sleep. The location wasn't bad, not too far from from the free tram around the CBD.

• Stayed January 2014
Thanks for your feedback, and glad you enjoyed our great location. I’m also glad to say we have made a few upgrades since your stay with us. We have improved kitchen layout now with more space, double the number of fridges and our guest feedback is much better.
The bar is open till 1am though it may get a little loud when people are having a good time, your feedback has prompted me to ensure the extra door to the room area you mention gets closed…this should help. Apologies for the disturbance, hope you still had a pleasant stay!!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I just stayed at Nomads for 4 nights and I would definitely not recommend this place to anyone else.
The location of the hostel is quite okay and they have a very nice bar and lounge area. But that's it already with the things I liked.
The staff is not really friendly and helpful. They screwed up my booking and are very unflexible, like you can't use there telephone even for a free number. The rooms are quite okay but miss all the helpful stuff like several sockets or hooks and they also were quite dirty. But the worst things is definitely the trevel desk. Staff there works only for a few hours a day or even not at all. Once you managed to get someone, they screwed up both of my tours and didn't give me the money back. So DONT'T BOOK TOURS at Nomads.

• Stayed March 2014
Thanks for the feedback, especially about the travel desk, I’m very sorry to hear you didn’t receive the experiencing you were hoping for, I’d be keen to have more information to track this down for you. We have some of the best deals in Australia through our desk and really try to make sure we look after all guests, I’m really sorry to hear you didn’t get the tours you wanted.
Phones are generally just for professional use, unless in case of emergencies. There is a pay phone just around the corner and computers with internet access in the building. Our aim is to keep phone lines free for bookings, people get frustrated when we have all lines busy and they can’t get through…it’s a catch 22 situation I guess.
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I checked in very late (around 1am) since my flight was late. I then tried to find my remaining bed in the dark of a very bad room. Everything was very small and narrow and the air inside that room was horrible. There was no possibility of opening a window and since I arrived late I had the top bed where the 3 (!) fans blew directly into my face. I was seriously considering to chose the backseat of my car for the night which I didn't unfortunately. Cos like that I just caught 2 hours of sleep with a very exhausting day behind and ahead. So yeah. Next time I will definitely chose something different than that. Not even the shower was clean when I used it in the morning. It was all full of hair and I wasn't even sure if I should shower or better just leave it. I was definitely very unhappy about that service for that amount of money i spent...
One good thing though: the guy at the reception was very helpful with all kinds of answers to my questions.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Thanks a lot for your feedback, we know it’s really difficult to walk into a room in the middle of the night….trying not to wake everyone yet wanting to get the good night sleep you paid for. I’m not sure how we can adapt to ensure fans are not faced a certain way, it is really set by the people in the room…they would have seen an empty bed and perhaps chose to face it that way? Fans can be turned off manually and all rooms have windows that open to help with air circulation.
The property including rooms and bathrooms is cleaned daily, en-suite rooms are cleaned after 10am and also checked again in the afternoon. The bathrooms in the halls are cleaned/checked 4 times a day, so depending on the usage it may appear less clean at a later stage of the day. Glad you mentioned our helpful staff because if there is a problem next time, just let us know and we’d be happy to see what we can do for you…no matter what the time.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

The staff are SO RUDE!!! The rooms are REVOLTING!!! I'm demanding my money back! This place is an absolute joke!!!!!!! I'm Aussie and I've been around the world and this place is ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!!!! THE WORST accommodation I've ever seen!!! If you want to be woken up by vacuum cleaners and staff that yell at you in the early hours of the morning then by all means come here!! I'm making complaints in every possible way I can about this joke of a backpackers!!!!!!!! I would NEVER RECOMMEND anyone to ever stay here!!! There are POO STAINS in the toilet and the bathrooms look like they never been cleaned and they can't even supply you with a towel after the shower!!! Not one person here knows what they're doing and I cannot stress enough how rude the people are here!!!!!! I'M DISGUSTED!!! Made the whole Melbourne experience a COMPLETE DISAPPOINTMENT!! If I could give this place a minus rating, I wouldn't hesitate at all!! Once again, an absolute DINGY and ABHORRENT place!! NEVER EVER STAY HERE!!!!!

Stayed February 2014
It’s clear your stay with us came not even close to your expectations, being the manager it’s tough to see these comments but I’m also disappointed that we never met during your stay…I may have been able to change your experience.
Cleaners do need to get into rooms and yes we vacuum ever room, every day. We do some times seem to be in and out of rooms because we do room checks and if we don’t believe a room is clean or tidy enough we will send cleaners back in to do it right…none of this happens before 10am. Bathrooms / showers are cleaner 4 x daily, I’m not 100% sure about the towel…we provide 2 in each private room however dormitory guests bring their own.
We have had a large change of staff, perhaps some less experienced staff came across as rude, I have forwarded your feedback to all my staff and will address it to the new team here…our aim is to give great customer service, sorry we failed you.
Since your stay we have upgraded all the beds, re configured the kitchen and doubled the number of fridges. We have had several staff changes from our cleaners, bar staff to receptionist. I hope changes we have made and continue to make will lead to me never having to see another feedback response such as this one.
Fleet, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Nomads is located in a pretty good part of the city, within walking distance of most attractions. The staff are friendly but the check in was very slow. I stayed in a private room with my boyfriend, and although the room was rather pleasant, I can't believe how expensive it was!!! The lift was pretty deathy, so I would recommend taking the stairs and staying on the lowest level possible! The travel desk wasn't too appealing, I ended up booking my trips with Happy Travels instead. I had a lovely stay in Melbourne and if you want somewhere central Nomads would be an okay choice.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Nomads Melbourne? Share your experiences!