“Dirty” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Nomads Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Nomads Melbourne to your Saves list
Nomads Melbourne
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   A'Beckett St. 196-198, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #12 of 26 Melbourne B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Dirty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

There is no loo paper in the toilets, they are no where near clean, showers leak, smells like poo everywhere. They say there are sun loungers on the roof - its just rubbish and what use to be sun beds. They lost our booking but still had our payment and said no refunds but didn't have a bed for us. They were rude in sorting out. The main woman receptionist just couldn't care about anyone. They don't serve you until they finish talking to each other. They made a girl in our room pay while she was in hospital for her room and at the same time renting out her bed to other people getting two payments for the same bed. Dirty. Disgusting. Rude and nasty staff!

Nomads11, Manager at Nomads Melbourne, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Violet,

Thanks very much for your feedback, we really appreciate it. We are sorry that your experience was not to standard and I would like to personally apologize. We have a strict cleaning policy and our bathrooms and toilets are cleaned thoroughly 4 times daily. Unfortunately in busy times with the high traffic volumes it is hard to constantly maintain the cleanliness and we strive to by employing extra staff to clean. I am glad that you thought the staff were helpful and I hope that you have enjoyed the rest of your travels
Kind Regards,

Nick

154 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

When we arrived at the hostel we were given an average greeting, but it wasn't unfriendly. The rooms are INCREDIBLY hot. We had a fan in ours which only swept about half of the room, alas I was in the half that it didn't reach, nor did my bit of the room have a working light. The beds were uncomfortable and very very squeaky; essentially breathing was enough to set off a loud creak which would wake the majority of the room. The heat and noise meant that I slept very badly in the hostel.
The kitchen was very small and very dirty. Guests are expected to clean up after themselves which is how it should be, however Nomads must be doing something wrong, all other hostels with 'self-cleaning' kitchens in them were nowhere near as dirty as this one. Very few of the hobs actually worked, so we had to wait to cook every time, and when one has finished cooking, the only eating area was outside meaning one sometimes had to deal with smokers and smelly bins when trying to eat.
The only saving grace of this place was the free city tour. This was an absolute highlight of our time in Melbourne! We saw many places we didn't realise existed, and although the guy running the tour even admitted to us that he wasn't a guide and hadn't even been in Melbourne for that long, we still enjoyed ourselves generally and it was a fantastic way to meet new people. The hostel definitely was focused on getting people to socialise which was a great bonus! We had a lot of fun at the pub quiz that night too, and the free beer we got for doing the tour meant it was actually a cheap night.
The internet is a very good deal too, $4 for 24 hours compared to the same price for an hour in most other places.
Overall, I wouldn't recommend to my friends and I am being quite generous with 3 stars, purely based on the internet and the free tour/beer. If they fixed the beds, got better fans and fixed the hobs in the kitchen or employed someone to give the surfaces a bit of a wipe every now and then it would be much better and we might be tempted to go back.
The price of the hostel does not reflect the quality, we found much nicer accommodation for a lower price where we slept in air-conditioned rooms and cooked and ate in a clean environment.

Room Tip: As far as I could tell, every room was a furnace. Good luck...
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hostel was ok - the areas downstairs were actually pretty nice and the staff were friendly. The dorm room itself randomly had a double bed on the bottom with a single bunk on top, so my friend had a nice big bed! However, it was a heatwave when we stayed and the room had no aircon which made sleep pretty much impossible. It was very noisy as well.

Thankfully we didn't need to use the kitchen at all when we were there, and never would have as it was DISGUSTING! It is a ridiculously small kitchen for the size of the hostel and the washing up was piled up everywhere, and it stank. The cleanliness of the rest of the hostel could do with improving as well.

Nice cinema room though, even though it doubles as a luggage room so I would never have left my luggage in there!

Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

First impressions of this place set the standard... When arriving to check in I was the only person standing at reception where there were two members of staff, unfortunately they were more interested in finishing what sounded like a prank phone call to someone else in the building then serving me, I know its a laid back environment but a bit of professionalism would have been nice. Once checked in I was provided with very little information on what was in and around the hostel itself. The rooms were spacious and luckily the people I was sharing with kept in clean, however its expensive for what it is and not good value for money

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This place was pretty average although the cleanliness could use a huge upgrade. When I got there it was clear someone had slept in a bed one night and decided to switch to another one, so I was forced to go to reception and ask for clean sheets and had to make my bed myself. The beds squeak like crazy at the slightest movement which I found pretty annoying and hard to sleep, also, the bunk did not have a ladder to get to the top bed so I had a roomate who was forced to climb over me basically to get to her bed. These things need to be addressed.

The cards were constantly not working and had to be reprogrammed almost daily.

The staff was nice enough though and the general atmosphere of the place was enjoyable, which is why I'm giving this place an average rating. Location was pretty decent as well as you could get to the city center in just a short walk.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Gloucester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are dirty. Sheets dirty. Showers dirty and not powerful. Doors slamming all day and night. NO AIR CON???Is it not the 21st century??lift is dodgy. Breaks down a lot. Keys stop working all the time. Kitchen is small, grubby and stinks!!

• Stayed March 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Wow, what can I say? This place is an option if you have a total disregard for basic cleanliness.

The first floor smells awful. A combination of mold, vomit, and wet dog.
The taps in the bathroom never really shut off, not that there's enough room to wash your hands in the teeny tiny sink.
Toilets were littered with trash and toilet paper.
Showers with toilets didn't have trash cans or sanitary receptacles.
The kitchen is so tiny that only 4 people can fit in it at once and still need to squeeze by each other.
My flip flop actually got stuck to the kitchen floor and I needed to grab it to unstick it.
Saw the hallway vacuumed, yet it was clear the vacuum was not picking anything up.
My room was never vacuumed. Cigarette filters and sand littered the floor from the time I checked in to the time I checked out.
The trash in the room was never emptied.
Hoping my sheets were clean but found someone laying in my bed on the second day because he couldn't tell which bed was the clean one.
There was no airflow in my dorm. There was a single fan with a window that opened into the bar, right above the smoking section.
The beds squeak with the slightest movement.
I asked the bartender for a cup, and she smelled one on the bar to see if it was clean and handed it to me.

I stayed at several hostels in Melbourne and would recommend Nomad's only as a last resort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Nomads Melbourne? Share your experiences!