When we arrived at the hostel we were given an average greeting, but it wasn't unfriendly. The rooms are INCREDIBLY hot. We had a fan in ours which only swept about half of the room, alas I was in the half that it didn't reach, nor did my bit of the room have a working light. The beds were uncomfortable and very very squeaky; essentially breathing was enough to set off a loud creak which would wake the majority of the room. The heat and noise meant that I slept very badly in the hostel.
The kitchen was very small and very dirty. Guests are expected to clean up after themselves which is how it should be, however Nomads must be doing something wrong, all other hostels with 'self-cleaning' kitchens in them were nowhere near as dirty as this one. Very few of the hobs actually worked, so we had to wait to cook every time, and when one has finished cooking, the only eating area was outside meaning one sometimes had to deal with smokers and smelly bins when trying to eat.
The only saving grace of this place was the free city tour. This was an absolute highlight of our time in Melbourne! We saw many places we didn't realise existed, and although the guy running the tour even admitted to us that he wasn't a guide and hadn't even been in Melbourne for that long, we still enjoyed ourselves generally and it was a fantastic way to meet new people. The hostel definitely was focused on getting people to socialise which was a great bonus! We had a lot of fun at the pub quiz that night too, and the free beer we got for doing the tour meant it was actually a cheap night.
The internet is a very good deal too, $4 for 24 hours compared to the same price for an hour in most other places.
Overall, I wouldn't recommend to my friends and I am being quite generous with 3 stars, purely based on the internet and the free tour/beer. If they fixed the beds, got better fans and fixed the hobs in the kitchen or employed someone to give the surfaces a bit of a wipe every now and then it would be much better and we might be tempted to go back.
The price of the hostel does not reflect the quality, we found much nicer accommodation for a lower price where we slept in air-conditioned rooms and cooked and ate in a clean environment.
- Also Known As:
- Nomads Industry Backpackers Hotel Melbourne
- Nomads Industry Backpackers Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nomads Melbourne is a backpackers offering travellers a unique backpacking experience. The totally refurbished building at 196-198 A'Beckett St, is located at the top end of the city, right in front of the Queen Victoria Market. With many popular Melbourne attractions, beautiful gardens, fantastic shopping and a wealth of public transport options close by, Melbourne at its best is at your doorstep. At Nomads Melbourne you can indulge in the luxury of a deluxe en-suite king room, relax in style in a single or multi-share private room, or meet your fellow travelers in a 4-10 share dormitory room. Nomads Melbourne will make your stay in Melbourne a breeze. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia and Tingo so you can book your Nomads Melbourne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.