“Average Hostel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Nomads Melbourne

You added Nomads Melbourne to your Saves list
Nomads Melbourne
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   A'Beckett St. 196-198, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #16 of 29 Melbourne B&B and Inns
Ottawa
“Average Hostel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This place was pretty average although the cleanliness could use a huge upgrade. When I got there it was clear someone had slept in a bed one night and decided to switch to another one, so I was forced to go to reception and ask for clean sheets and had to make my bed myself. The beds squeak like crazy at the slightest movement which I found pretty annoying and hard to sleep, also, the bunk did not have a ladder to get to the top bed so I had a roomate who was forced to climb over me basically to get to her bed. These things need to be addressed.

The cards were constantly not working and had to be reprogrammed almost daily.

The staff was nice enough though and the general atmosphere of the place was enjoyable, which is why I'm giving this place an average rating. Location was pretty decent as well as you could get to the city center in just a short walk.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are dirty. Sheets dirty. Showers dirty and not powerful. Doors slamming all day and night. NO AIR CON???Is it not the 21st century??lift is dodgy. Breaks down a lot. Keys stop working all the time. Kitchen is small, grubby and stinks!!

• Stayed March 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Wow, what can I say? This place is an option if you have a total disregard for basic cleanliness.

The first floor smells awful. A combination of mold, vomit, and wet dog.
The taps in the bathroom never really shut off, not that there's enough room to wash your hands in the teeny tiny sink.
Toilets were littered with trash and toilet paper.
Showers with toilets didn't have trash cans or sanitary receptacles.
The kitchen is so tiny that only 4 people can fit in it at once and still need to squeeze by each other.
My flip flop actually got stuck to the kitchen floor and I needed to grab it to unstick it.
Saw the hallway vacuumed, yet it was clear the vacuum was not picking anything up.
My room was never vacuumed. Cigarette filters and sand littered the floor from the time I checked in to the time I checked out.
The trash in the room was never emptied.
Hoping my sheets were clean but found someone laying in my bed on the second day because he couldn't tell which bed was the clean one.
There was no airflow in my dorm. There was a single fan with a window that opened into the bar, right above the smoking section.
The beds squeak with the slightest movement.
I asked the bartender for a cup, and she smelled one on the bar to see if it was clean and handed it to me.

I stayed at several hostels in Melbourne and would recommend Nomad's only as a last resort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Stayed for just under a week, and me and my friends thought the hostel was a great price, clean, and also very central to Melbourne City Centre, however not too central either!! Atmosphere was great, awesome staff who were very helpful, and great activities to get you involved and to make new friends!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Good Hostel clean and nice! I particularly appreciate the atmosphere and the location in Melbourne. It's easy to meet people as usual for nomads hostels. I found my friends from Perth ;-) After all Australia is a small country?!

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I only stayed at NOMADS one night and did have a lot of fun. I had limited money so went into the mixed 14 bed dorm for one night. My fellow roomies were very lovely and invited me to drink with them which I did. NOMADS is a great place for meeting people which I appreciate. Just a couple of qualms- wasnt overly fond of the only one toilet and one shower for 16 people. The shower was a little gross as was the state of the room. But it is a bit of a party dorm and you kind of have to expect that in that environment. Staff were friendly, however when I got there I couldnt check in and needed to store my bag. Which was fine, but I got given the key to the cinema room and went up to the lift but my key didnt work. Tried again, didnt work. Tried the stairs didnt work. Got it reset, didnt work. Finally made it up only to find that the cinema room was locked. After a brutal day and 20kgs on my back I wasnt overly thrilled. Then I was able to check into my room 10 minutes later anyway. But overall, not too bad. Good if you wish to have a drink and laugh and meet people.

Aosta, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The hostel is clean and nice, very central, too.
Internet and bar available.
The kitchen is small and not too many kitchen utensils available.
The dining area is outdoor, great for the summer months!
Staff is ok.
I stayed there in Xmas time, so it was very busy. I rent a room with my friends - 6 bed dorm with ensuite.
It was very comfortable - big and clean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Nomads Melbourne? Share your experiences!