“Family holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Melbourne Short Stay Apartments

Save Saved
You added Melbourne Short Stay Apartments to your Saves list
Melbourne Short Stay Apartments
4.5 of 5 Condominium   |   187 City Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #21 of 116 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
“Family holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

These apartments are really great. They offer heaps of space and are really clean. They are also very close to all the action. We have now stayed there three times and it is our only choice now when in Malbourne. The rooms are large and there is plenty of room for the kids to move around. Love them.

Room Tip: The views from all the rooms are great and they are nice and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne04, Manager at Melbourne Short Stay Apartments, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Wenkrs,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review of Melbourne Short Stay Apartments following your recent stay with us. We love hearing from our guests because it helps us to continue to deliver an outstanding guest experience.

We are thrilled to read your five star review! It's so great to hear that you enjoyed the space that our apartments provided you and the kids during your stay; we think they're ideal family accommodation, but we're a little biased! We are glad that you found our location to be convenient to the action of our vibrant city, and I'm sure you'll agree there's plenty to experience in Melbourne.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Melbourne Short Stay Apartments on your next trip here.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We had a number of issues with the service from this group. Initially their tripadvisor info stated (may still state) that they provide babysitting services. NOT so. They incorrectly recorded my name and could never find me on the register when guests and babysitters called or arrived. They did not tell us that there was one free clean with a 7 night stay at the apartments. All round very sloppy work and no apologies.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear SOS111,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your stay with us in July. We really value guest feedback as it helps us to make improvements to our guest experience.

We are disappointed to read that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. I would love the opportunity to discuss with you the issues you experienced during your stay, so please feel free to contact me via phone on +61 3 8256 7500 or via email at marcusm@shortstay.com.au

I hope to hear from you soon.

Grand Junction, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

The one bedroom apartment was fine, and the full kitchen was handy. The apartment was clean and quiet. Bathtub drain didn't work very well, but it's not uncommon for hotel rooms. Gym facility was fine. Internet and parking were not free and it was a little farther from the Crown (3 blocks) and the CBD (5-6 blocks) than expected, but still within walking distance. View included a sliver of the city and lots of apartments on the other side of the street.

Nothing very special about it, overall good value for price.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear A N,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback following your recent stay with us. We truly appreciate you helping us to continue to improve our guest experience.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your apartment and were able to make use of the full kitchen facilities. We receive a lot of positive feedback from our guests about our kitchens and how much they appreciate being able to cater for themselves during their stay. Especially when they can shop at one of Melbourne's well-known fresh food markets to pick up some fresh, local produce. We are very happy to see that you rated us highly for value, sleep quality, rooms, cleanliness and service.

It is great to read you found our location to be convenient to both Crown and the CBD. Our Southbank Deluxe, SouthbankOne and MP Deluxe properties are all within one block of the Crown Entertainment Complex (Southbank Deluxe is right across the road) and are all a comfortable walk across the Yarra River into the CBD.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Melbourne Short Stay Apartments on your next trip to the world's most liveable city!

Coffs Harbour, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Well,at least the view wasn't bad, that is, until the multilevel apartment block is completed on the adjoining block. And there ends the compliments. Over-the-top 'instructions' at check-in: OK, we DO need to know how to access the lift but the manner in which the OTT receptionist explained it was at the point of confusing, and amusing in different measures...One of our party had to exit the tirade before said-receptionist pushed too far and the scene turned nasty. And thank heavens we had a command of the English language because it was confusing enough WITH English. Onto the room, which was grubby: paintwork, carpet, soft furnishings, all grubby (that white stain on the black curtains??). The refrigerator sounded like a truck reversing all night and the in- bathroom laundry leaked dangerously over the bathroom tiles (yes, the hoses were intact). Then the 'rule' cards in the apartment to remind us that we were in a prison (no, perhaps a remand centre). I realise this apartment block caters for residents and holiday makers but in all of our travels I have never had so many 'reminders' shoved in my face). The air-conditioner was difficult to work and difficult to maintain even temperature and weirdly the instructions (oh goody!) stated that if the outside temperature rose above 36 degrees the unit would not function! Maybe visit Singapore to see how their systems work.. (and excuse me for pointing out that these deficits all add up to a cheap build)
.And so, if you can cope with the lack of care (ironically) given to maintenance and appearance well you might also need to reconsider the position of this establishment. Six lanes of traffic separate you from Southbank itself, meaning that there is a considerable time factor needed to walk anywhere (lots of lights to wait at): this place is definitely on the WRONG side of Southbank and so don't be fooled by the maps that make it seem otherwise. And let's not forget the DIY rubbish removal which was a delight on the ground floor (where a mask because the stench was awful).
Now if you decide to stay here after all, I can recommend the Room Service company (not associated with the apartment) that provides freshly prepared meals without the need to cross the traffic at night-time. And I wonder what the concierge actually does? He certainly won't call you a taxi because there's a phone for that...

Room Tip: Just don't bother
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne04, Manager at Melbourne Short Stay Apartments, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Latte62,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Melbourne Short Stay Apartments.  We are very disappointed to hear that your expectations were not met during your stay.

We honestly value all feedback we receive as it allows us to create and implement strategies and procedures to ensure each of our guests receive the outstanding level of service we strive to deliver along with a clean, comfortable and secure apartment.

To help us address the issues you have raised in your review, I'm wondering if you could provide me with some more information about your stay?  As I mentioned in my phone message and my email to you, you can reach me by phoning 1800 008 910 and ask to speak with me, alternatively send an email to me at marcusm@shortstay.com.au

We appreciate your comments regarding the volume of information relating to our Community Promise and no party policy.  As you so rightly noted, each of our locations house a mix of permanent residents and temporary guests, which is why we take so seriously our commitment to creating a peaceful and safe environment for everyone in the building to enjoy.  Unfortunately, it's a minority who have had a negative impact on the enjoyment of the apartments.  Since introducing our Community Promise six months ago, we have experienced a significant drop in the number of disruptions occurring to our guests and permanent residents due to unruly behaviour. Having said that, we have taken your feedback into consideration and are currently reviewing our communications strategy in relation to this.

Latte62, I sincerely apologise for the unacceptable level of housekeeping standards you experienced; this is certainly not the way we want to present our apartments to our guests.  I can assure you that this has been raised with our housekeeping department and should you choose to contact me directly with more information, I can ensure the issue is pursued further.

Again, thank you for providing your feedback and I do hope to hear from you soon.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

8 friends from sydney went away on an end of year soccer trip . The rooms where clean 3 bedrooms two queens and two singles one main bathroom and one ensuit lounge and kitchen . The location suited us close to the casino and eateries only two blocks away .we walked to the MCG which took about 45 minutes and 20 minutes to the train station all in all a good place to stay

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne04, Manager at Melbourne Short Stay Apartments, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Murials,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent experience with us. We are pleased to read that our three bedroom apartment suited the needs of you and your friends.

It is a delight to hear that you found our location to be really convenient to Crown Entertainment Complex and the restaurants and bars that are just a short stroll from our apartments. Southbank has an abundance of dining options available, or you can wander a little further along the river to South Wharf to experience some of Melbourne's newest eateries.

We hope to welcome you back to Melbourne Short Stay Apartments on your next trip here.

Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

I was really disappointed with my stay at the Southpoint Towers - and I find the responses from management in this page so disheartening. I had the same issues with my stay as mentioned before - namely repulsive and stained grotty carpet and furnishings, filthy dine in menus and inadequate responses to my queries. My room did not remotely look like the attractive photos management have posted on this site.

It took several phone calls to get house keeping to service my room, they replaced a faulty clock radio (at my request) with another clock radio and though you are staying in a building the Short stay management do not take any ownership over issues that arise. They are all pleasant enough just incredibly ineffective and do not do nearly enough to provide even average customer service , let alone 'high levels'. This is after they asked me to leave my room to allow for inspections from a prospective buyer - which I did.

Checking in and out nearly a kilometre away without some sort of courtesy vehicle to assist you is also bordering on ridiculous.

There are loads of other options. I'm sure you'll find something much better.

Travel safe.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne04, Manager at Melbourne Short Stay Apartments, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear QMochalatte,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent stay with us at Southbank Central. We truly value guest feedback because it helps us to make improvements to our guest experience.

We are very sorry to hear that you were so disappointed with your stay with us, and as mentioned in my phone message to you, I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you further about your experience.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We recently stayed in a 1 BR apartment on the 24 floor however there's no view at all, only view you get is what people are doing in the opposite apartment blocks.

Hotel does not have conceirge directly at the lobby of your apartment, we need to walk to the office (about 5-10 mins walk depending on which apartment you are assigned to stay in that area) which only operates during office hours to process all check-in/out, etc.

Arrangement of the room is odd. Room is a bit dated and cramp, some of the utensils are dirty, shower glass is loose and shaky which may be dangerous if it fell off, bathroom is always flooded after a shower. It is the first time I've seen floor towel being placed together with other bathing, hands, face towels.. seriously? Next, Bedroom area has poor ventilation as there is only 1 air-con unit in the living room. Pillow is totally flat and bed is also uncomfortable for sleeping. Wardrobe is dusty which we didn't bother hanging our clothings in it. Only 1 tv is avaliable in the living room and you can't watch it from the room. No daily housekeeping is provided unlike other serviced apartments I've stayed in.

Location wise, nothing else is nearby except for the casino which is a 15mins walk away. It is far to walk to the main city centre area like Flinders, Collins, Bourke, etc. which took us about 30mins to walk from our apartment.

Staff service was disappointing as well, did not offer much help and guide for tourist like us who are unfamiliar with the area. We even have to make our own arrangement with SkyBus for the shuttle from the hotel to the terminal for Airport transfer.

Overall, we don't see any value in any area for the price we are paying to stay here and would definitely stay somewhere else more comfortable and convenient in future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne04, Manager at Melbourne Short Stay Apartments, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear louissoh,

Thank you for providing your feedback following your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to help us continue to improve our guest experience.

We are sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise that you did not receive the high level of service that we pride ourselves on delivering to our guests. Your feedback regarding our lack of assistance in helping you find your way around Melbourne will be used in our up-coming training sessions and in the on-going development of our customer service team. This may have impacted on your view of the convenience of your apartment's location, as our Southbank Central apartments are located within a 5 minute walk of Crown Entertainment Complex and approximately a 15 minute walk into the city centre.

Each of our locations does provide a building concierge who is there to provide general assistance to any resident of the apartment tower, whether they are permanent residents or Melbourne Short Stay Apartment guests, however they are not directly employed by us.

Following feedback from our valued guests, we are pleased to share that we are currently refreshing these apartments, including the replacement of some furnishings and fixtures. Your feedback regarding the dirty utensils, dusty wardrobe and loose shower screen have been directed to our Housekeeping Department to investigate and action.

With regard to apartment servicing, we clearly state on your booking confirmation and across our website that our apartments are serviced every 7 days from the date you check in. We are more than happy to arrange additional servicing during your stay should you require it. There is an additional cost associated with this. Our self-contained apartments feature washer/dryers and we encourage our guests to utilise these should you need to refresh linen within the 7 days. Our Suite apartments do include complimentary daily servicing.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Operations Manager

Been to Melbourne Short Stay Apartments? Share your experiences!