“Do not book at this hotel - beware!! Hotel closed and no refunds” 1 of 5 stars

St. Arnaud
99 Park St. | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia   |
Ranked #23 of 30 Melbourne B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Do not book at this hotel - beware!! Hotel closed and no refunds”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2014

This hotel emailed weeks ago to say they are closed, and our booking has been cancelled. They have a phone number which is no longer connected, they have taken our money and no refund. Do not make a booking at this hotel

Room Tip: Do not make a booking at this hotel
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

i really hate when some hotel put in the web site different pictures about the accomodation.the real is OLD dirty and the "receptionist" is rude!
I cant understand why this place can be open.for the same money you can stay better!

• Stayed November 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

After staying in a typical cbd hostel for a few nights, we spent two nights at St Arnaud. Lovely friendly vibe with a homey spacious double room, communal kitchen, TV room, board games and gardens :) lovely after the cold institutional feel of our other hostel. Beds could be comfier and more bathrooms would be great but if you want to complain about that, go somewhere that isn't so wonderfully cheap!

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Hudiksvall, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2014

I stayed at this place for almost three weeks in the 4 bed female dorm where I was the only guest in the room for most of the time. The place has the basic facilities you need. The standard is not good but it's ok for the price. It get's very cold in the winter. Some of the staff are friendly.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2014

Stayed at St Arnauds in October 2012 for a full week. The facilities are basic but what you would expect on a budget. I stayed in a single room which was on the top floor. Staff assisted me with my (very heavy) case and were friendly. The fridge in the room was as much as I needed to store a small amount of food and the communal atmosphere in the kitchen was nice.
The place could do with a little updating and I can imagine that in years gone by it was a place to stay for people coming up from the country.
I returned for an extra night on either side of a trip to Tasmania and stayed in the female only 4 bed dorm. Again at the front of the building so the trams were a bit of a distraction for a girl from semi rural Western Australia but it did the job.
Am staying for two nights again this year.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

This place is shabby, dark and the No. 8 tram rattling down the road in front of it will keep you awake at night.

However, it's cheap and the common rooms (kitchen, dining room and lounge) make it a great place for meeting people. It's also very handy for anyone going to the MCG, involving a 25 minute walk across the botanical gardens and the footbridge over the river.

I arrived at about 8 am straight off a flight from the UK, and they were happy to store my luggage for a few hours and make my room available by about 10 am.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs and away from the front of the building are recommended.(See comment about the tram)
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Back in December 2013, I sat with a map and a plan, the plan of all all plans. A big trip around Australia with my 9 year old daughter, I booked the flights and all that was left was accommodation.

Obviously wanting to say a pound or two I looked for budget, now I have travelled the world and as I have got older my idea of budget has got higher, but nevertheless I searched and searched!

And I came across this place, photos never do anything justice and I assumed homely and old fashioned, I emailed them enquiring about children, and was told a twin room would be required.

So I booked and the evening of the 25th July 2014 after a 13 hr flight from Dubai where may I add I paid the same for my accommodation there and it was beautiful! Recommend highly! Anyway we arrived at about 8 pm it was dark and I couldn't see that well, opened the safe and found my envelope, went in to the hallway and was hit but the smell of cat urine, and the cold. It was freezing!

The room looked like a prison cell, bunk beds, mould, broken blind, not double glazzed windows so heard all the traffic, trams and trains! Didn't sleep a wink, my daughter was too scared to sleep alone so we shared the bottom bunk, fully clothed.

We stayed one night out of six, I couldn't subject my child or myself to that. It's an awful place, the cat! Well if you like cats fine, if like me you can take or leave a cat, you'd want to leave this one! Especially at 5am! It meowed for the best part or 2hrs no stop!

I have complained to booking.com and asked for refund this guest house is disgusting! Save your money!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to St. Arnaud? Share your experiences!