“good value for money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of St. Arnaud

Save Saved
You added St. Arnaud to your Saves list
St. Arnaud
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   99 Park St. | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia   |
Ranked #22 of 27 Melbourne B&B and Inns
“good value for money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

It is a hostel and for the money you cannot expect any luxury. Bathrooms are sharred by everybody and most taps are leaking. We were four in one tiny room, quite hot with only a fan, window facing the yard. I cannot immagine how people sleep there in the middle of the summer.
But the common areas - kitchen, dining and communication rooms - quite well equipped. And perfect location in a beautiful street of Victorian era houses, parks around, not far to the free shuttle buss stop.

Room Tip: Maybe the rooms facing the street are not so hot.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The staff in the hostel is rude, unpolite and extremely arrogant. We had limited access to internet even if the hostel promote a wifi connection. The second day we stayed at the hostel the manager decided to forbid the use of the kitchen taking away all the pots and closing the gas.
There are only 6 bathrooms for 3 floors (at least 50 guests per floor).
The third day we stay the staff member threw away our food from the common fridge without having been informed previously about the rule to not put any food there. not for the money we spent for this food but for the unacceptable idea to throw away food we just decided to move as soon as our booking expired. In general the hostel is dirty and a very bad smell is all over the place.

Room Tip: just don't go there
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed here for 6 days during the Australian Open in Melbourne. I had a great time and the location is excellent. However, the facilities leave a little to be desired. There are only 2 showers per floor, which means that there is a long wait for one in the morning. Also, if you're a light sleeper, you might be better off ensuring you don't have a room out towards the main road, as the tram makes a lot of noise every time it rolls by. However, in general, I had a positive experience, much due to the friendly staff and the nice people I met there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I didn't mind my stay here, but I really copped it from my high maintenance wife to be. The rooms have bunks, not good for couples. The rooms on the street side are noisy due to the tram line going past, this eases at midnight-ish but starts again early in the morning. Breakfast did run out quickly, although they did replenish the bread. The amount of cutlery and plates is inadequate and this should be addressed. There are not enough bathrooms and showers, which are shared. It's in a nice area, although there are more central options if that's what you want. It is about equidistant to the city and to chapel st. The room, sheets and bathrooms were clean enough for me.

Room Tip: Stay away from the road.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Its not the best hostel we stayed in which is such a shame as it has alot of potential. It has alot of character, and is a spacious hostel but they do not have enough bathrooms. Never cooked in the kitchen so i cant comment on that, breakfast supplied was pretty standard. Room was good and location was right near the tram.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I do not often write reviews bur felt compelled to do so in this case. Having travelled previously for three months, I was well aware of different hostels and their various problems - this did not prepare me for my stay at St Arnaud.
To start on a positive note - the location is very good and the room sizes are adequate. I'm afraid that is where it ends. The "complementary" breakfast was minimal, often having run out of essentials very quickly. There was literally no cutlery and myself and my companion were forced to spread butter with a carving knife - not exactly what I expected. There are notices asking residents to clean up after themselves, however this is very difficult to do when there is no cleaning equipment and the tea towels are sopping wet and unable to dry a thing.
The bathrooms were, for want of a better word, gross. I literally heard the bath mat squelch under my toes when gingerly stepping into the shower. Not easy to have a relaxing shower when your stomach is turning. When I informed staff about the bathmat and suggested that they may perhaps want to have a look at it as the shower base could be leaking, I was met with a rather hostile "We clean every day!". I was not disputing this, merely suggesting an investigation.
To be fair to the staff, when we did have a problem, and felt forced to contact the manager, there was an apology, and extra internet time given, although I feel I should say that I was scared beyond measure at the apology from the manager, and hid in my room until the coast was clear.
Sorry St Arnaud, but this could easily have ruined my first experience of Australia, thank goodness for the great people and wonderful city of Melbourne.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Exeter, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Do not stay here. Where shall I start. The room was not vacuumed when we arrived, and even though they said they 'deep clean' their rooms it was, for want of a better word a bit scummy. The bathrooms are shocking, dirty, wet, sodden bathmat, paint falling off the walls, hair everywhere- eugh. Also there are not enough bathrooms for all the rooms, only 2 on each floor to service about 20 people each. The kitchen is tiny, you cannot cook in there, you can't even get a glass of water easily because there is only 1 sink, there is no cutlery- trying to put Vegemite on my toast with a carving knife after a night out is unsafe. There is no duty manager, no one knows what to say and you get passed from pillar to post, I eventually spoke to the manager who scared the life out of me. On the up side, there were clean linen, towels and 2 pillows. Breakfast was toast and cereal, so that's grand.

Room Tip: If it's warm try not to go upstairs
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to St. Arnaud? Share your experiences!