“Okay but I wouldn't do it again” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Harbour View Apartment Hotel

You added Harbour View Apartment Hotel to your Saves list
Harbour View Apartment Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   585 Latrobe Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #127 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Guru_g_syd
“Okay but I wouldn't do it again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have to be very careful with this review. I really did not like the apartment we stayed in at the Harbourview – I jokingly called the place “Wentworth Detention Centre”. However my fellow traveller DID like the apartment and said, for the price, it was quite reasonable. Plus we both loved the location near trams and a short walk from Southern Cross Station and the airport Skybus terminal.

We made a late decision to spend a week in Melbourne at Christmas and serviced apartment choices were limited. The Harbourview had a special offer on their one-bedroom apartments so we took it reluctantly (after reading some reviews on Trip Advisor).

Although I’d looked at the photos travellers had uploaded, I don’t think I was quite prepared for how small the shared areas of the apartment were. You walk in and there’s a small kitchen area with a half sized fridge with microwave on top. You look down a small corridor which is interrupted by a small dining table with two chairs. As you walk on you see a 2 person sofa, an LCD TV with DVD player in a small area that really is just part of the main bedroom area.

The main bedroom is the lounge if you know what I mean. There’s no separation and with the limited space, there couldn’t be anyway. The bed I slept in was almost in a separate room. It had a sort of louvre windows unit between it and the main room. My fellow traveller kept opening these and saying “Hello, I’m Mister Ed!” Which probably gives you an idea of what they look like (if you’re familiar with the TV show).

There was a small wardrobe in the main bedroom area and a small cupboard with one shelf in my “room”. No coat hangers for me – we had to go out and buy some. I found my single bed rather uncomfortable. The bedding was very light – the blanket very thin although there was a mega-thick blanket in the cupboard. Two big thick pillows were provided.

The TV and DVD player (Region 4 only) functioned well. We ended up buying a set of headphones so my travelling companion could watch DVDs in the morning without waking me. I could hear his snoring through the louvre windows which didn’t block out sound or much light.

The shower pressure was sensational – that is something we both agree on! The bathroom itself needs a bit of an update and the shower cubicle is small. So if you’re a larger person you may have problems.

Kitchen utensils were provided. There’s no oven as such – just a microwave and a toaster. The small fridge’s freezer was way overdue for a defrost which limited out ability to put food in it.

There’s no washer or dryer in the apartment – there are communal machines which currently cost $3 per washing load and $2 per drying load. One washing machine had bits and pieces inside and I didn’t feel comfortable washing my clothes in there. I bought a few new things instead.
We stayed here for 7 nights. I guess I got used to it but I really wouldn’t choose to stay here again. My flatmate says I am exaggerating the problems and that it was perfectly fine.

I guess, yes, it wasn’t actually AWFUL. It’s just that it really wasn’t somewhere you want to stay and live for a whole week. Maybe 1 or 2 nights would be okay. I just found it quite claustro.

Reception staff were friendly, helpful and efficient – always a plus. The lifts were fast too – not always the case.

And the location? Well, yes you do get the clanging of the trams as they go by but you’re on the corner of Latrobe & Spencer...next to tram 86, 30, 35 (the free tourist tram) and more. The location is superb.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor which may reduce the noise from the clanging trams as they go past.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Harbourview View Apartment Hotel for our 10 year wedding anniversary, on the 1bedroom Summer Special deal for 2 nights (also was given a nice bottle of red wine from the apartments as a present which was very much appreciated).

After reading reviews I requested a higher floor room which we were given. Other reviews are correct, with the sliding door open the noise from the road from cars and trams is pretty loud, however with the door shut you barely notice. It was really hot when we stayed and the air conditioner does a good job of keeping the room cool.

We had absolutely no dramas checking in, and were able to leave our bag in the cloak room after we checked out as we weren't leaving Melbourne til later in the afternoon.

We caught the Sky Bus from the airport, so the short walk was a bonus. As was the close proximity of Coles to the apartment. A tip for beginners tho catching the free City Circle tram anti-clockwise if you need to be somewhere at a particular time. It goes and does a detour up into the Docklands before doing the loop. We were trying to get to a soccer game at AAMI Park via the tram and ended up having to get a taxi due to the nice tram detour. In hindsight we should have caught it clockwise.

There is a harbour view, but you have to look real hard through the construction site and across the Docklands. I suspect at some stage in the past, prior to all the building work you probably would have had a view! There is a great view of Etihad Stadium, which is literally a stone's throw away. When we come back to Melbourne from Canberra to watch the footy, Harbour View will definitely be on the top of our list to stay at!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights here in a family room. Reason why I chose this place is the proximity to the free city tram and one of the cheapest car park for 15 a night.
Other than that, nothing much to shout about.
Wasn't too impressed with the housekeeping. Felt that it was done minimally. Well, guess can't complain much for the price we are paying.
The full kitchen was a bonus. Ended up buying food back to cook rather than eating out. Well, at least it was much cheaper buying back to cook.

• Stayed December 2012
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We booked a 1 bedroom self-contained apartment for 4 nights. The hotel is located on the western side of the CBD. The room we got had 2 bedrooms (1 with double bed and a separate room with a single bed). There was a 2-seater sofa in front of the TV, and a small dining table with 2 seats. Kitchen had a microwave, cooktop and a fridge. There were coffee and tea making facilities. Even dishwashing liquid and a tea towel were provided. The size of the bedrooms was alright but the wardrobe space was very small. There was also an in-room safe. The bed was comfortable and the linen was clean. However, it seemed they didn't vacuum the carpet often as I got hayfever every morning I woke up - I suspected it was the dust in the carpet. There was a small balcony. The bathroom was clean and spacious but the shower cubicle was small, water pressure was excellent. Traffic noise was minimal (as long as the window or the balcony door stayed closed), However, there was a high-rise construction going on across the hotel (Spencer St) so it was very noisy in the daytime on weekdays - my plan to sleep in one morning went out the window.
There is an Italian restaurant beside the hotel lobby, but it was too expensive for us. The place is very handy to Skybus, Coles, King St. restaurants, trams and buses. It's about 35 min. walk to Federation Square, 20 minutes to Crown Casino, also an easy walk to Victoria Market through Flagstaff Gardens. But the area is a bit deserted after 10pm.The free trams start at 10am so we walked if we had an early start instead of buying a Myki to ride on the paid tram.
I noticed a faint cooking smell in the hallway and the lobby floor sometimes smelled moldy, especially on a wet day.
Staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Most expensive night we had in Melbourne and very disappointing. Very tired, pokey and the smell in the hallway and room was terrible. A real passion killer. Name is misleading as no harbour view -we had a concrete wall. Bed worn. Chosen because of location to Southern Cross station (skybus terminal) and 4 star rating - what a joke! Better chain hotels nearby - lesson learned.

Room Tip: Look for a reputable hotel chain
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My sister & I stayed for 1 night, in a 1 bedroom apt (1 Queen bed off the lounge area & 1 single bed in a separate room) so we could attend a concert at Ethiad stadium & we were both quite impressed. The location was so convenient to everything. We caught the airport skybus shuttle service & walked the short distance down Spencer street to the hotel. Our room was very clean & tidy. All we noticed was the slightly noisey toliet system when it was flushed (no drama) & the shower head needed some attention, which when we mentioned it to reception they said they would get it checked. The staff were very friendly & helpful. There certainly was nothing to complain about. The rates charged seemed very reasonable considering the convenient location & the the facilities. After the concert we were able to walk back from the stadium in no time at all. The trams & buses stop close by. The beds were firm but comfortable & we both liked the fact we could open the window or the sliding door to let some air inside. There is airconditoning as well, so heating or cooling shouldn't be a problem. Our apartment faced Spencer street & even with the trams/traffic as well as some building works on the site across the road, for a city location I didn't find it too bad & was able to sleep really well. We will definately stay again next time we are in Melbourne.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Spending 10 days running a major case in the Federal Court required somewhere close to the Court (HVAH is a two-block 7 minute walk), plenty of working space, and the ability to cook for ourselves without hassles.

HVAH lived up to our needs pretty well in rom 409 although our two days in room 503 were a little less satisfactory and led to the discovery that not all of the two bedroom apartments are equal (503 is probably 20% smaller than 409).

Both had good cooking facilities with a full sized fan-forced oven, a full cooktop (although the old style Ego hotplates have poor control), a reasonable microwave oven, and a good sized fridge (although theone in 503 was missing door shelves). Being only a few minutes from midnight-closing Coles in Spencer Street was very convenient as we could just buy supplies as and when needed.

Bedrooms were comfortable although the n03 rooms on the north west corner of he building get exposed to maximum metal to metal screeching of the trams as they turn from LaTrobe into Spencer Street. Showers had good pressure and plenty of hot water. A dishwashing brush would have been convenient and the lack of non-stick cookware made cleaning a chore with inadequate tools. We had to buy a scourer from Coles.

The exhaust fan can't cope with smoke from the oven so unless you hold open the apartment door and the balcony door the smoke detectors will be set off with any oven or griller cooking!

Pricing was reasonable for weekdays but expensive for weekends. It was cheaper to fly back to Sydney for the weekend and then fly back to Melbourne Sunday afternoon than to stay over for Friday and Saturday night!

The bedroom desk in 503 was quite useless - it is half depth so that it is all but unuseable. And the dining table in 503 is also too small.

Overall very convenient from a location point of view, but let down by some of the basics which could have made our stay more comfortable at neglible additional cost.

Room Tip: Rooms closest to the north west corner of the building (Spencer and LaTrobe Street) are the noisiest...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Harbour View Apartment Hotel? Share your experiences!