“Told our room wasn't available as they had over booked!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

Save Saved
You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Club & Suite Discount
Ranked #1 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
perth
“Told our room wasn't available as they had over booked!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

On arrival, we were informed that our pre-booked and pre-paid room through Qantas was unavailable! Their solution was to inform us that they had taken the liberty of booking a room at the Sofitel instead. They had apparently over booked or 'over sold' and there were no rooms left. Unfortunately for the poor desk manager, it was obvious that new arrivals were still being booked in and there was in fact rooms still available. After a great deal of heated discussion, we challenged him on this and to his great embarrassment he had to acknowledge that there were rooms still not occupied. We demanded that a room be made available to us and we were given our room. Someone else would be turned away in our place! They kindly invited us to enjoy breakfast at their expense for the stress that had been caused. It should be noted that we had booked 1 night on our way through to our destination and another 3 nights on our return. We were keen to cancel our other reservation but informed that we couldn't do that as per the terms of our booking.

On our return, (In the mean time, we had received a call from an apologetic Hotel Manager prompted no doubt by our guest review card handed in at check out!) we were personally greeted with a flower and upgraded to a Club room and a cheese platter was left in our room. Although the gesture was appreciated and in some way made up for their mistake, we were left with a very bad taste in our mouths. The hotel was recommended both on this site and by colleagues but we were disappointed by both the service at reception and by their poor Management practices. Over selling rooms is not what you would expect of a hotel with this reputation or supposed calibre. We can only guess that we were bumped because we hadn't booked directly through their site. Something that we will address in the future.

The staff in the rest of the hotel were wonderful. The cleaning staff on the floor were incredibly polite and charming as were the staff in the Club lounge and Melba restaurant. The Club lounge is quiet with a lovely view where we enjoyed sitting in the morning and reading the paper. The food is lovely but if you are time poor it is hard to see the value of upgrading to Club if you are not able to enjoy breakfast, afternoon tea and evening drinks and canapes. It is worth mentioning that the breakfast is not the veritable feast that is available in the Melba restaurant. You do not have the option in the Club rooms to take breakfast in the Melba restaurant as your inclusive breakfast but the advantage is avoiding the massive weekend queues in the Melba restaurant. The evening smorgasbord in the Melba restaurant was fabulous but very busy and noisy. The hotel itself is wonderfully located to the Casino and Southbank restaurants which is hard to beat. We had a corner river suite which was very elegant and clean with great views and a comfy bed. I agree with other reviews that the service from concierge/porter was lacking. After requesting a porter, no one turned up to take our luggage down to the lobby and assistance in and out of taxi was lacking which certainly isn't good for first or last impressions!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
bsington, Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, September 17, 2010
I take full responsibility for the fact that we were overbooked and apologise as I did on the telephone. It is not a common occurrence and I am sorry that you had to experience it. I can assure you that we do not discriminate with reservations as to how they are booked. I am pleased that I was able to contact you while you were on holiday in Tasmania and ensure an upgraded room was made available to you on your return to Melbourne. I have noted your comments regarding the porter service and will follow up on them. I am very pleased that you were impressed with the staff at the Langham.

We look forward to welcoming you back
Best wishes
Ben Sington
Managing Director

2,424 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
Bairnsdale, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

Great location with river view. I enjoyed a great coffee and afternoon tea in the restaurant and later we dined at Southbank, just a 2 minute walk.
Relaxed, comfortable rooms with the BEST bed !!
Lots of little extras were much appreciated (and used ) from the range of toiletries offered.
Looking forward to staying again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

We stayed at the Langham as part of our honeymoon. Our welcome was amazing! They were so excited that it was our honeymoon and gave us a better room and complementary drinks vouchers. After check in, we went to our lovely room with a great view. Then the door bell went and it was the man from reception personally delivering a chocolate cake with 'congratulations' piped on the plate! The hotel was very decorative and the beds were so comfortable. The breakfast was extensive and amazing. The best bit was that we were expecting to be looked down upon in a 5 star hotel when we are young and not rich but we were treated fantastically! Great location too!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Auckland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

Booked over the leading hotels of the world website. As the leader club member, entitled to room upgrade, early check in and check out, welcome gift. This is my second times of staying at The Langham Melbourne. First time was not very pleasant but would like to give it a try. Surprise it is one of the top rating hotels in Melbourne, even in Australasia. Upon on arrival, the porter did not offer the help with my luggage. Upon on check in, the receptionist did not say "Hello" or" Welcome". She seemed very upset and offered a cold face without any smiles. She did not advise whether my room was upgraded or not. Arrived in the room, dust all over the desk, found a half-drunk Coca Cola Bottle with a straw inside in the minibar. Taking the bottle to the reception and would like to complain about the issue. The Assistant Manager seemed upset too and offered a cold face without any smiles (I suspect the Langham Melbourne training their staff in the same way). After hearing what I was going through, she did not say "sorry" and just say she would look into the problem and would have to change the room for me but it would took one and half hours. After coming back into the new room, still no welcome gift. After a series of compaints, a club access voucher was given to me. The club voucher entitled me to use the facilities for free like internet access. The club lounge was small, old and dated and offered limited selection of food and beverage. The room was dated, old and the carpet was all over the stains. Met a lot of staff inside the hotel, no one was saying " Hello" to me. In the morning, when I had breakfast, ordered a cup of coffee in the beginning. The coffee did not come until I finished my breakfast and the staff was almost pouring the coffee to the table. When I arrive at home, the bill came to my email and showed I was charged for the internet. Called back and the staff said the reception was not aware that I got the voucher. I was also charged $10 for using the credit card to settle the bill. It is so ridiculous that the 5 Star hotel surcharge 1.5% for using the credit card. The whole hotel was dated and old and staff was extremely poorly trained. The room was very noisy and you can hear someone was showering at 4am in the morning. It was not sound-proof at all. The price was expensive for that kind of service in comparison with Sofitel and Westin.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback which has been shared with all departments. We always encourage feedback and continually aspire to improve our guest experience when any physical or service issues are brought to our attention. We have responded to you separately as you contacted us directly also.

My apologies we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and allow you to relax and enjoy your stay. We certainly appreciate your detailed comments which I have passed to both our Front Office Manager as well as our Housekeeping Manager so that these matters can be shared with the team and we can further improve the experience for our guests. I believe that despite your concerns with some of our staff members you were pleased with the service received from Ricardo our Service Stylist, who I know looked after you during your stay.

We are delighted you chose to stay at The Langham, Melbourne and we hope to welcome you on future occasions.
Ben Sington
Managing Director
Gold Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

The Langham was affordable luxury, friendly and helpful staff and the delightful Melba's breakfast with a view of the Yarra and the city of Melbourne. Walking distance of Arts precinct, shopping and Crown Casino.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
NSW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

We stayed between the 13 - 15th In twin river view rooms, This hotel is great its nice when you book a river view room and get one without any building In front the hotel also provides all the details you expect. Overall we used just about every facility apart from the langham club from the Spa to the Buffet.

The spa
Chuan spa is Superb very relaxing and the treatments being tailored to you was great.

Melba
Melba is one of the best buffets we have tried in australia, We tried it at breakfast and dinner the selection of food is great with quality pretty good as well from the Peking duck pancake to the Naan bread.

Pool area
The pool area is mostly quiet although on weekend afternoons it gets a little busy great spa with Nice views over the city.

Aria Bar
Tried here for afternoon tea which is very busy on the weekends with bookings recommended ended up with just a cocktail which was nice although service understandably slow

Business center
This must of been the biggest letdown I am willing to pay in room internet but Business center internet is also charged I thought that was something 2 star motels do not 5 star It was $5 for 15 minutes.

Overall Great hotel with pretty good service things were delivered very quickly e.g. Laundry and Room Service but it was very good value.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Chelsea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

I stayed at the Langham for my wedding night. I arrived at 2pm on the day with my mother, auntie and step daughter. I booked the president suite and it was amazing. We went up to the lounge and had afternoon tea. The cakes were beautiful. We definately ate way too much.
We arrived back at approximately 12am. We had a view of flinders street station. The bed was sooo comfortable. We ordered room service and jumped around like 2 mad people. In the morning we went for a swim in the pool and looked over the city, We ordered breakfast in the room and had a late check out.
The service was great. We are going to continue to stay here every year for our anniversary.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!