“Heaven!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 173 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Heaven!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

I've stayed here three times this year - it's FABULOUS! I don't think ther is another hotel in Australia where there is such consistently excellent service. Breakfast is amazing - and strangely even includes a chocolate fountain! The Club Rooms are well worth the extra dosh - you get free internet and all the snacks, cocktails, brekkie and morning /afternoon tea you could possibly want. The rooms are great but my advice is to secure a river room or better still a corner river room where you get two windows and it's very spacious. Spectacular views, food, beds and service. The prices won't be for everyone and that's just fine with me. Classy, comfortable and stylish and so close to everything. You will get lots of exercise to walk off all those snacks! Wonderful and going back in August!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (867)
  • Thai first
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

Hotel staff are amazing - friendly and courteous. Hotel porters and concierge staff are very helpful and can't do enough for you. Everyone made me feel welcome and that I was "special". Beds are SO comfy - just such a shame I didn't get to spend longer in bed - the nightlife here will keep you up for hours! Will DEFINITELY be staying here again. Hotel simply exudes bags of class and elegance.

Hotel food and in-room service is a little expensive but overall this hotel is definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Hobart
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

Myself along with 10yr old son and husband stayed here for 2 nights in mid July 2010. I'll paint you a picture.....Driving up to this hotel in our airport transfer limo, I felt like a princess (if even just for a while). The limo pulled up to the front door with the grand uniformed doorman in sight. I'm expecting the doorman to open the car doors for us, help us get our bags from the boot etc.....Instead, we were unlucky enough that a taxi in front was unloading its guests at the same time, which meant that the doorman was helping these people. Not that these people didn't deserve to be helped also. We sat there for a moment or two, then decided to get out of the limo ourselves. At least the limo driver helped us get our bags out. We then each carried a heavy bag up to reception. After checking in, which was very smooth by the way, we were given our key cards and were asked by girl at reception "You'll be able to find the room by yourselves won't you, or do you want me to take you up?" We felt like we'd be putting her out by asking to be taken up, so I asked her "How do we get up there?" She answered "Oh, the lifts are just around the corner".

When we eventually found our room, a Club Spa Suite (which is the second most expensive room type, normally $680 AU per nt). The suite was absolutely gorgeous, we couldn't fault a thing...truly...the 2 person spa was a real treat with all the little creature comforts you don't expect to find in a hotel. Only problem was that to fill the kettle to make cup of tea, had to use the bath tap, as kettle wouldn't fit into bathroom sink to fill. We did have a chuckle... The suite had separate bedroom with proper king size bed and fluffy doona. Slept better in that bed than we do at home! The bed makes you not want to get up in the morning. Also had two bathrooms, sep dressing room, 2 plasma tv's, the works. Great room, great views of the city and river.

Club Lounge access is included in this room type. Went there for b'fast, afternoon tea, evening drinks/nibbles. It was great with a different selection each day. Nice and quiet, great views again. Fast Internet access is available for free in the business centre or the Club Lounge. It is not free in the room.

The swimming pool area is nice, but we felt intimidated when having to give name, room number and sign at Chuan Spa reception each time we went swimming, as the pool is inside the Chuan Spa area. I don't know why I was surprised that all Spa staff were so, so, so young. Towels are provided in pool area with nice seating and lounges inside and outside on the terrace. Overall it was a nice relaxing area, once you get past the signing in part.

The housekeeping staff are the real heroes here I feel, always greeting you with a big smile and hello. Turn down service was fantastic, with bottled water and glass left on the bedside tables, even covering a glass of champagne I'd half drank. We found that if you were in your room around 6.30pm, you don't get the turndown service, but if you're not in the room at this time, you do get it. So we got turndown service 1 night out of 2. Better than none at all right? We're a bit mystified by the promised "Butler service" for the club rooms. You certainly don't actually see a butler walking around. The hotel promises "3 items will be lightly pressed upon arrival for each guest" and "shoe polishing" upon arrival. We found no information on how to chase up these promises, the service was not offered to us, so we gave up on that too. We did get the promised "newspaper of choice each morning" though. I guess that's better than nothing at all right? OK, if you really need these services you really will HAVE TO chase them up though. It will certainly not be offered. Well it wasn't to us.

I wish the hotel would follow through on its advertised "promised" inclusions with room tarrif. 1. If you want turndown service, don't be in your room around 6.30pm.
2. Don't expect a butler, I think he's imaginary.
3. This pressing of garments upon arrival, I think we must press our own garments with in room iron.
4. Just pray that when you arrive, there is no vehicle in front of you, or you'll have to unload yourself and bags and carry them to reception, no concierge to be seen.
5. Remember to sign in before swimming.

We were looking forward to staying here for months. For $680 per night, plus extra $55 per night for a rollaway, we were expecting to be really looked after, we weren't. No butler service, no concierge, no doorman to help us. We may as well have stayed at a backpackers for the service we received. Housekeeping, they were the only people that serviced or acknowledged us in any way, shape or form. Actually, I just remembered that on our departure, a concierge did load our bags into our taxi. Oh yeah. I remember that on our travels around this hotel, I remember feeling so envious/jealous, maddened, rejected that other guests were having their bags taken up to their rooms, doorman was helping them out of taxis, staff were interacting with guests, we felt totally invisible, like staff wouldn't even know we were there. I don't know if we were just plain unlucky, I'm totally confused by the experience. Other people have left raving reviews of the hotel and I wish I could too.

Apart from the service, the ROOM was exquisite. We wouldn't stay again though, and it saddens me.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

I cannot often afford to stay at hotels, and am a fussy guest who expects value for money. So I was truly delighted to be treated with such understanding at The Langham. The staff went out of their way to do everything they could to make our stay perfect. The view over Federation Square was wonderful and after a perfect night's sleep (the pillows are out of this world) with no street noise we watched the sun come up over the Yarra! How wonderful!! Having been so spoilt we don't feel we could ever go anywhere else now.
Thanks.

Newark, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Spent 3 nights here in Nov '09. Great location on the south bank of the Yarra river; we could access Flinders Station and the CBD via a footbridge right near the hotel. We could walk it down to the Rod Laver Arena and the MCG as well; it was fun to walk down the south bank on a Saturday morning watching all the row boats being launched! Coming back to the hotel itself, the room was very good; we had one of the "city-facing" rooms away from the river - we had a good view of the huge office building and the Travelodge Hotel next door :) Room service and the food were good. Each room has its own WiFi base station although the per night charges for the high speed Internet access were a bit stiff. Didn't try the restaurant itself though; there was also an open balcony level looking out onto the river that we didn't get a chance to experience. Would definitely recommend this hotel for its good service and great location.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Fantastic hotel, the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. They knew it was our Wedding Anniversary and we were given a room upgrade and a lovely dessert platter was left in our room after dinne.Would stay here again.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

We stayed at the Langham for a long weekend and had a great time. The hotel was generally fantastic and so were the staff and fitness facilities. Although I would stay there again, next time I would probably prefer to stay in the CBD rather than across the river. We were also expecting the rooms to be a little larger, but they were still comfortable. The beds and pillows were excellend - we ordered several of the same pillows when we returned home!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!