“The cream sheets” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
London, United Kingdom
“The cream sheets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

Having stayed last year at Langham Place in Hong Kong (see my review if you like), and being the best hotel I ever been to, I chose to book The Langham for our stay in Melbourne. I think there are differences between Langham and Langham Place brands, the former being more traditional, opulent and luxurious, and the latter more modern and minimalistic. I still prefer Langham Place (just a matter of personal taste), but The Langham Melbourne is indeed a fine 5 star hotel, in a superb location at walking distance from the city, from many restaurants and cafes of all styles, and to the Crown Entertainment Center and Casino.
Check-in was quick and efficient, they took our bags from the taxi and sent them straight to our room on the 12th floor, with an excellent view of the Yarra river and the city.
The bed was huge and comfortable, but what really made a difference was the sheets, I never felt sheets so smooth, getting into the bed was like getting into a pool of cream, so we nicknamed them "the cream sheets" :)
I was a bit disappointed to find an old CRT TV in the room, I would have expected an LCD in a 5 star hotel in 2009, but after all, I wasn't in Melbourne to watch TV.
Bathroom was nice, with a bathtub and a shower, although I would have liked more light in the shower cubicle, which was practically in darkness.
Cleanliness was perfect, although a weak point was the toiletries were not replaced every day, and one day we left the bath robes to be replaced (they were soaked), they were taken away but not replaced, we had to call and ask them to bring us a pair to the room.
Pool is on the 6th floor, it's covered. Not to large, and they also have a nice hot jacuzzi with colour lights.
Breakfast was top quality and huge variety, including a chef cooking eggs at request, and another one cooking pancakes.
Internet was fast but expensive at A$25 per day (I think hotels should provide free internet to their guest, they're charging a lot for something which is pretty cheap to them). If your laptop have a good antenna, there's a free wi-fi access point in nearby Federation Square, although slowish, good enough to check mail and surf a few sites.
Staff was always attentive, friendly and helpful, except maybe at the last minute when we were waiting with our bags at the door for the shuttle bus to the airport, nobody helped us with the bags nor told us the shuttle was already waiting in a lateral street, if I hadn't go outside to take a look, we would have totally missed it.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again and if I'm in Melbourne again, and at other Langham hotels in other cities around the world (I think the next one will be the Langham Place in Krabi, Thailand next year).

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
bsington, Managing Director at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, May 28, 2009
I am delighted to advise that we have started a project of installing 42 inch LCD TVs in all guest bedrooms during the winter. We already have 20% of the rooms installed, so Trip advisor reviewers may request a room with the new TVs pending the completion of all rooms.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (851)
  • Thai first
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

I was a bit worried about the location because it's not in CBD but it's just across the river and really not far, so it was no problem after all. Now the hotel: First, the street entry lobby has a waterfall feature that is really very lovely adding a great ambience. We arrived quite early but were shown to our room no problem, a superior corner room with a view of the city and river. The room was nice if a bit old fashioned decor for my taste (unbelievably, no flat screen tv!). The heater was a bit weird by alternating hot and cold to manage the room temp. Marble bathroom was very nice. The spa is so great! There are separate men/women steam rooms and sauna which were going full steam and really heavenly. There is a nice indoor heated salt water pool and jacuzzi, too, covered with windows and overlooking the river and city . Come here to use the spa. What made Langham stand out to me, besides the spa, is the service. Really fantastic service.

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

Great location. Friendly and Helpful staff. Rooms compact but had everything you would need. Had breakfast at Melba's Restuarant the food was hot and an excellent selection. Would recommend the Langham.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
scarborough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

everything was just superb.The best location in Melbourne.The views the service the building the rooms are all fantastic.Must try the restaurant!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Robina, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

My husband and I had a 4 night stay at The Langham recently and I cannot rave enough about it.
Naturally our hotel choice had been well-researched in advance on Tripadvisor, and once again, the reviews are accurate, thank-you fellow reviewers!
From our smooth and seemless check in, to our uneventful departure, we were totally happy with our stay.
Our room was on the 19th floor and had the most amazing views of the river and the city - worth the small amount $$ extra paid for the view.
Our bed was SO comfortable with the best pillows I've ever slept on!
I spent each afternoon ( after a busy day exploring) lazing on the chaise admiring the view out the window.
The bathroom too was well-appointed and the shower great.
We used the gym each morning ( 24hr access was a bonus) - well-equipped and TVs to watch whilst working out.
The highlight for me each morning was the sumptuous breakfasts.
My only complaint was the coffee served was bitter - luckily 30 seconds walk from the hotel was one of many great coffee shops for me to get my fix whilst watching the river and passers-by.
I will definitely stay at the Langham when next in town!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Langham for 2 nights. Right from the moment we stepped out of our car the service was A1. At all times the staff were courteous and accommodating. The room was fantastic and all the facilities and inclusions were of a high standard. Very convenient location at DSoutbank with easy walk across bridge and under Flinders St Station to the city. Most of all the bed was a "dream". We highly recommend The Langham and will return again.

Brian & Pam ACT

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

We were dining at your Melba Restaurant on Sunday night to celbrate our Parents "50th" Wedding Anniversary and just wanted to express what a fantastic and memorable night was had by all! The food, the winde, the ambiance and the service was impeccable. I also want to make mention of our waiter in particular a young man by the name of Joshua who looked after us all evening which contributed to the evening being a wonderful success particularly for our elderly parents so on behal of the "LAWSON" family Thank you for a most unforgettable and memorable occassion Regards, Meredith

• Stayed April 2009

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!