“In a word.....luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

Save Saved
You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Club & Suite Discount
Ranked #1 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
London
“In a word.....luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

No surprises here, the Langham on Southbank demonstrates its 5 star rating from the get go. Upon arrival at the hotel on a wet and windy Tuesday, we were greeted by a warm lobby and even warmer smile from the porter, who whisked our cases away and guided us to check in. The staff could not be more helpful and had us in our room with minimum fuss.
The small things for me really make a hotel stand out, such as the well stocked bathroom, turn down service each night with slippers waiting for you on return to the room etc etc. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in, although the external noise (from adjacent office fans??) was slightly annoying.
The breakfast experience was something to behold, including fresh smoothies, wide ranging egg station and lovely breads (sourdough toasted with smoked salmon on top, yes please).
The location was great, with a short walk across the adjacent foot bridge into the CBD.
I enjoyed the stay and if the price was right, I would use again.

Room Tip: Higher floor if possible
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

2,488 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

This is a lovely hotel and while my stay of four nights in June was work related it was extremely comfortable. The room was very spacious and the desk very practical for both my iPad and lap top with well placed power points at desk level. The room service menu was extensive and prompt and made me feel ever so slightly indulgent. Breakfast in the dining area was vast with just about everything available one could want, miso, cheeses, even marshmallow and chocolate pancakes if that takes your fancy. While the hotel is well placed in Southbank it is a bit of hike to the central shopping area - Bourke street mall - David Jones etc especially if one has collected parcels on the return journey. It is nicely situated for a walk along the Southbank area with a multitude of very nice restaurants from which to choose and close to Flinders street station, the National Gallery and Federation Square.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
jmclaughlingrm, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for posting your lovely review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at The Langham Melbourne. I am pleased to read your positive comments of the Hotel and our service. I am happy that you appreciated our location situated within the vibrant Southbank Precinct along the Yarra River and close to the National Gallery of Victoria and Federation Square to your liking .We hope to welcome you back in the future.
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We stayed here for 10 days over the Xmas/NY Break and had a thoroughly enjoyable time. The Langham is top class with a 5 star atmosphere. They had a huge decorated Xmas tree to create such a festive time of year and fond memories.

We enjoyed our room with a Yarra river view - which was worth paying for. We found the bed to be comfy once we asked for topper to be removed - as we like it firm! The room furnishings and décor were all elegant and made our stay all the more enjoyable. We had the room serviced daily if we wanted and enjoyed complimentary daily waters.

We really enjoyed the buffet at the hotel restaurant melba and tried the breakfast, lunch and dinner once at least whilst we were there for 10 days.....it has to be the best buffet we have ever experienced.

We made good use of the full gym almost every morning to help balance out the excess calorie intake during the day. I also had a massage which was terrible but I do like a firm massage.

We used pool and spa once, which we did enjoy and would have used it more but just couldn't get enough of Melbourne City itself!!

On NYE we enjoyed some complementary drinks on the roof top terrace to bring in the NY and watch the fireworks over Melbourne CBD.

We really enjoyed the location as it was just minutes to walk to so many places in the CBD and along the Yarra

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. Check in was not the best, very disorganized. but the room and bed made up for it, great bed and pillows. Best nights sleep for a long time. Stayed on high floor so the view was great. especially at night.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to offer us your feedback following your recent stay. I am pleased you found your guestroom and our Langham Blissful Bed comfortable and enjoyed the views of the Yarra River and City from your room. Please accept our apologies the arrival experience did not meet your expectations. I have shared your comments with our Front Office Manager for her review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham Melbourne.
kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We stayed here for a week in January. We had a corner room with double aspect, great views over the river and the city. Very comfortable, good quality bedding and lovely bathroom. One problem is the lack of cupboard space. There was one really small cupboard for hanging clothes, but nowhere near adequate for a week's worth of clothes! I asked reception if there was anything that could be done to help and was told they would look at moving us to a bigger room. When I rang again the following morning I was told there were no other rooms available but they could bring a hanging rail to the room. In the end, no one followed up on anything and I spent a week without unpacking my suitcase, not ideal. The pool area is good but it would be really nice if there were umbrellas available with the sunbeds. Overall, really lovely city hotel but let down by some of the staff.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the city and river, on a high floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to offer us your valuable feedback following your recent stay at The Langham Melbourne.I am pleased that you enjoyed the Hotel, your guestroom with the views of the Yarra River and City. Please accept our apologies for the lack of follow through with the hanging rack that was arranged but did not make it to your room. I have passed on your remarks to the appropriate departments for their review. Thank you for your suggestion in relation to the pool deck, I will pass this on to our Hotel Manager. We do hope to welcome you back again in the future.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

My lovely husband booked a romantic weekend away for us in Melbourne as part of a birthday celebration for me. Part of the fun for this trip was that I had no idea where we were going to stay. (I'd spent half the plane trip down from Brisneyland worrying that he'd booked us into the YMCA or would expect us to pitch a tent somewhere in a park.)

I needn't have worried, I was so excited when he told me he'd booked us into The Langham. (And oh the relief that I wouldn't need to use those camping socks I'd packed!)

The ambience of the hotel was amazing. Goodness, they get the concept of branding! I think the swirly "L" is seared into my memory for life!

Staff were welcoming and even wished me a happy birthday upon our arrival. The fact that we had arrived at 11.30am wasn't a problem - we were given early check in.

The view from our room was lovely and the bed was super comfortable. I loved all the marble in the bathroom and giggled at the speakers in the ceiling. Hubby noted it was handy because we "could hear the footy action on the TV" at all times.

We went out and about for a lovely lunch and returned to our room mid afternoon to find a complimentary slice of chocolate cake with a little card wishing me a happy birthday - it was such a nice touch and made me feel really special.

Handy hint - just be aware that the "sheer privacy curtains" reveal all to the rest of the world when the lights are on at night. My hubby and I had a great giggle as we walked back to the hotel across the Yarra River at evening and could see unsuspecting people in their rooms.

We had a massage on the Saturday morning at the Chuan Spa and it was absolutely delightful! The only slight detraction of the experience was the "recommendation of products for me" at the end because "my skin was dull". I have to be honest here and say that I went to go and feel relaxed - not to have products pushed on me. I'm used to this happening after a facial, but I've had many a massage in my life and found this to be quite unusual - particularly after my husband and I had just spent a lot of money for the privilege of being there.

Anyway, I can say that all in all, it was a really special experience and my husband and I left wishing we could stay another night. Or at least take the bed home with us. Sadly it wouldn't fit into my carry-on baggage.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
jmclaughlingrm, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thank you for posting your lovely review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay celebrating your birthday. I am pleased you were delighted with the choice your husband made and you both enjoyed the Hotel and all we offer. I am happy to hear that you were warmly welcomed on your arrival and wished Happy Birthday. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham Melbourne for a longer visit next time.
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We booked this one as we had seen it during previous stays in Melbourne and thought we would try the more 'high end' experience. While the entrance and surrounds etc are just lovely its the service that lets it down. Booking in was confusing as the person who took our details was not only quietly spoken but his Englsh was hard to understand. The room was noisy with other people and the piano was echoing around so we really had to strain to work out what was being said. AND we didn't!! We had pre-booked the room only as we didn't want a bed and breakfast package. Then we were offered a 'deal' of a special price of breakfast for $25 each. This was quite good compared to the advertised $40 breakfast so we took it, but as we said at the time, we only wanted it for the one morning as the other we already had plans for. On checking out we found that we had been charged for both mornings! It was OK as we explained and the bill was adjusted but it shouldn't have happened. Plus we had to ASK to have our room served - we were out all day from 9.30 am to 4pm and got back tired and just wanting to rest. Nothing had been done to it and we had to ask and then leave and sit around for another half hour while it was cleaned.

DINING - don't bother with a-la-carte. We didn't want to wander around the usual 'all you an eat' buffet and so selected the menu option. On emailing the booking we asked for a table with a view of the Yarra but were advised that these bookings can't be done, just to ask when we arrived. We did this but were told that there were none available - OK that is reasonable. BUT then we were seated next to these tables and there were 2 empty for 45 minutes. What an insult! If they can be booked, let me book one, if its open to choice, then don't tell me there are none available when there clearly are. The management of the restaurant seems to be confused in the extreme - we had to ask what an item on a served up plate was as one of our party has allergies, it was a green puree so no obvious clues. We sat for about 15 minutes with the food cooling as staff fussed around and checked back and forth to find out what the food was. After this, there was no way we were going to send the other plate of very tough duck breast back for a new one - we just ate, paid and left. Our advice to others - eat somewhere else in Melbourne.
Again, the ambience may be up market and luxury but these little items really let it down. We wont' bother going back - there are others just as comfortable and convenient with better food.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to offer us your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor. Please accept our apologies for the service issues you encountered on this occasion and we did not meet your expectations. I have passed on your comments to the appropriate departments so they may share with their teams. I have contacted you directly to personally follow up on your concerns. We do hope you will reconsider staying with us again.

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!