“Superb service in a room with great views” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 173 Hotels in Melbourne
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Superb service in a room with great views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Once again the Langham has ticked all the boxes. Service at all levels was excellent. The room was a corner room overlooking the river. Very spacious. Bed was very comfortable and shower excellent.
Restaurant is expensive ($80 for 2 for breakfast) and would recommend having a meal elsewhere. Lots to choose from along the river or within the CBD.
Recommend a coffee/liqueur at the Aria lounge. Best coffee of our trip ( a bit of a surprise actually) in a very relaxing atmosphere

Room Tip: The corner rooms are more expensive however with the extra space and views are worth it
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (865)
  • Thai first
Valley Stream, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Once deciding to return to Australia (after an absence of 30 years), and focus on Melbourne, I narrowed my hotel choices to two hotels, and after emailing them directly explaining my objectives/needs for my partially disabled wife and myself, I received a warm personal email reply from Kayla Shaw, Reservations Supervisor, offering her assistance to select the accommodations we needed in a non disability room. Kayla suggested a Club River Corner King room which was spacious, had a stand alone shower, was on a high floor, and provided an outstanding view of the Yarra River. After numerous email exchanges answering all of my questions and concerns timely and patiently, we booked the Club River Corner King room, and Kayla's advice and the room exceeded our expectations.

Having a room with Club Privileges enabled us after 30 hours of traveling to check in at the Club, have refreshments and wait comfortably while the room was being made ready for our occupancy.The on duty Club Manager, Mehul Desai, enabled me to see each room, compare the views, and select the room I wanted.

During our six night stay we used the Club for the complimentary amenities included in our rate which included daily buffet breakfast, an afternoon snack when we returned early from sightseeing, drinks/canapes and a late night coffee/tea. Complimentary wifi was also included.

What made the Langham Club special for us was their staff, the outstanding young women and men who remembered our names, and regardless of how busy they were, provided outstanding service. Our sincere thanks to all the Club staff, with a special thanks to Darcy, Sadie and Emily who on our last night sent a lovely note along with a dozen beautiful pink roses to our room!

I'd like to also acknowledge the effort of the entire Concierge Team whose expertise was useful as I planned some of our touring details. A special thanks to Sam who on our arrival day expeditiously handled a baggage mix up with United Airlines.

On our last night I asked the head bellman, Lorrie (a true gentleman and hotel fixture) about a taxi to a restaurant about 30 minutes away. He asked for a minute to make arrangements and came back to surprise us with a complimentary ride to dinner in the hotel's 'pink' limousine
which he chauffeured for us!

Just before leaving the hotel my wife decided she wanted to take the bouquet of pink roses with us. After a quick call to guest relations, a staff member arrived in our room and took care of my request.

It's the pro active customer service oriented staff that sets the Langham Melbourne apart from the other hotels in Melbourne!

Room Tip: Club Corner King rooms on the higher floors are larger providing outstanding city and Yarra River vi...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
bsington, Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Happy Anniversary couple from New York
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Langham Melbourne and submittting such a wonderful review. My colleagues whose names you have mentioned are thrilled with your comments. I wish you many more year's of happiness and hope that you will try other Langham Hotels in the USA in NY, Boston, Chicago or Pasadena LA.
Kind regards
Ben Sington
Managing Director
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

The Langham is a very nice hotel, great staff etc. But as a business traveler, I need to be able to work in my room. The wireless internet service at this hotel is a disgrace. The longest I have been able to stay on it for any given time is 10 minnutes before it hangs and I need to reconnect. I will definitely not stay at this hotel again as working in the room is a must!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for staying at the Langham. I have contacted you directly to find out more information regarding your stay dates. We have made significant upgrades to our wifi system earlier this year and I am not aware of any connectivity issues currently. We have a 24 hour help desk to ensure high quality service is maintained and we always act on guest feedback at the time of stay. I hope you will try us again.
Ben Sington
Managing Director
auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights for our wedding anniversary, Very grand and luxurious as soon as you step in the front door, Stunning and beautiful. Check in was a breeze, however we did state we were on our wedding anniversary and asked if we could be upgraded which we were denied, Instead they gave us a free bottle of cheap sparkling grape juice which was very strange and cheap for a hotel of this calibre..???

Room was very, very nice. huge room, high ceilings and beautiful bathroom, Bed was very, very comfy, perfect night sleeps! Had a room looking over part of the river which was amazing (make sure to ask for a river view)

If you are into fitness the gym here is the best I have ever seen for a hotel gym! I have stayed at many hotels just for the gyms and this was by far superior so a fitness fanatics dream gym, hit it anytime between 9-11 or 2-4 and you have the whole private gym to yourself!

There is a food court right next door to the hotel which we found offered better food than many of the restaurants did in melbourne which was strange so we ended up eating here for most meals after having disappointing experiences in some top rated restaurants.

No free internet which I find very annoying for hotels that charge $250 per night, You can buy a code for 24 hours for $4.95, otherwise head to the NVG gallery across the bridge and log on free wifi while having a coffee.

All up this hotel is top notch beautiful and very luxurious and would definitely stay again and would recommend to family and friends

Room Tip: Get a river view room if you can
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

The superb quality food was laid out in sections: Indian, seafood, Asian, traditional roasts, and desert. I recommend the seafood night that I and an overseas attended.
Staff were attentive, but not intrusive.
And the decor of the hotel that the restaurant is set in is timeless with a relaxed atmosphere at the same time elegant.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Recently stayed during busy car race weekend - no probems at all. Quiet and beautifully relaxing room and having the Chuan relatively to myself! Though spa was largely out of action there was plenty else to use. Melba was superb. Loved my stay.

Room Tip: Had Yarra views - made my day sitting watching the Swanston and walk bridges. Did not hear car races...
Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

My Wife and i decided to spent a few days away, so we made the choice of visiting Melbourne. As it was our first time, we decided to do it in style. I must say i am glad we did for Staying at The Langham MADE the stay a very pleasant experience. What started the stay off on the "right foot" so to speak, was the excellent assistance provided by the Reception, nothing was too much trouble. All the Staff in the Hotel were very polite and helpful, you were made to feel welcome.
I found some minor faults but these did not spoil our stay. My wife and i hope to visit Melbourne in March of 2015 for the Melbourne "Flower Show" and intend to stay at The Langham. While the room we stayed in was very comfortable, we hope next time to book a room with a Balcony, for we prefer fresh air rather then Air Conditioning.

Review collected in partnership with Langham Hotels

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!