“Superb service!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Washington D.C.
“Superb service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

You cannot beat the location of this hotel. Dead center in the middle of everywhere you would want to be, with immediate access to trams, busses and water tours.

Kudos also to management of the Langham for its superb staffing. In particular, I commend Peter Breatley, the chief concierge. He is the best concierge I have ever experienced. His recommendations were dead-on and his helpful advice enhanced our stay immensely.

The room was spotless and room service for meals was excellent.

My only complaint, and the reason this hotel does not (in my view) merit five stars, is its poor internet service. One would expect that a hotel of this caliber would provide free internet service. It does not. Rather, it charges a daily fee based on the number of devices you wish to register. Once I paid that fee, I found that the service itself was slow and spotty, at best. Come on, Langham -- it's 2014!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

A friend and I stayed at the Langhams on 17th and 18th March for two concerts at the Hamer Hall. The hotel was as splendid as it usually is as I have stayed four or five times over the last few years. We booked a River View room this time as for the two nights there was a special offer. Wonderful views at night.

I have always found the beds so comfortable so this time I lifted the sheet to find they are from the Sealy range for the hotel industry. After reviewing so many beds since then, as I am in the market for a new one, I am now about to buy one from the hotel, new of course (which will also accommodate my bears Winston and Isabella who I bought on another occasion from Flavours of Langham shop!) plus the ginger spray which is the fragrance in the hallways through the air conditioning. Am I addicted!!! Love the place.

Room Tip: River View rooms are great however if you ask for a room lower down but on the side towards the fron...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Mehul D, Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Thank you Collette for posting such a lovely note on trip advisor. I am pleased to see that you and your friend chose the Langham whilst you were in Melbourne for the two Hammer Hall concerts. I wish you all the very best with your new bedding and trust you will find it very comforting, same as here at the hotel. Also, our branding team are very happy to learn that you have been enjoying the various little flavours of our Langham brand. I and the entire team at Langham look forward in welcoming you again very soon.
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Absolutely LOVED this hotel. If you want a crowded, huge, noisy Las Vegas type hotel, stay at the Crown Towers. If you want elegance and impeccable service and a great location, stay here - and go visit the noisy casino down the street one evening.
I really can't say enough about the Langham. Even before my arrival, I bombarded the concierges with requests for dining reservations, sports tickets, tour recommendations - I figure I'm spending a lot of money in a short time and wanted to make the most of my first stay in Australia. Ben and Sam, the concierges I emailed, were so helpful and accommodating in every way. Our room was large and had a wonderful view of the river and CBD. Turndown service left us slippers and fresh water bottles next to our bed. In the bathroom, a little box with everything you might have forgotten was provided (toothpaste and brush, shaving cream and razor, etc). The location was great - right over the pedestrian bridge to lots of shops, restaurants, lanes and arcades. We walked to the Melbourne Cricket Ground and the Botanical gardens. Check in and out was a breeze. There were always helpful bellmen and smiling doormen to call a cab from across the street. If I return to Melbourne, I can't imagine staying anywhere else. The whole experience - atmosphere, guest services, location, amenities (they had a lap pool, gym, and spa, which looked wonderful, but we were so busy we didn't get a chance to use them) were exceptional. Thanks to all who took such good care of us and your other guests -

Room Tip: high floor facing the Yarra river
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in April 2014' great location, excellent staff. Rooms right up to scratch in every way. Langham club rooms were great as they provided a quiet place to re cooperate with a drink and nibbles. This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel. It's a bit on the expensive side with food prices a bit high but great service. Melbourne is a great city anyway. Very highly recommended for relaxing and great service.

Room Tip: Try for a high floor as the views are great especially if you get a river view.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Great location and it has the old world charm you expect from the Langham brand in the entrance and foyer but the decor is tired and insipid elsewhere. Compared to the look and feel of the Auckland hotel, there is no comparison. The rooms which we understood to be refurbished were very bland and unimpressive, as were the public areas. Such a shame as could be a fabulous hotel.
Noise was a problem, we had very disruptive guests next door, the walls are paper thin we could hear every word, security had to be called three times, but they were very responsive.
The front desk staff and concierge were very good super friendly and helpful. if you can get a good rate then not a bad place to stay but if you are wanting fabulous surroundings then there are other hotels I would be looking at.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Langham is one of my favorite hotels in Australia and Melbourne in particular. Located in the cosmopolitan Southbank district the hotel is within walking distance to best places that Melbourne can offer, close to the business CBD and if you so choose the best night views or Yarra and city lights that one can ask for. The facilities, gym, spa and late night Aria bar are features that only leading hotels can offer.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

What an awesome hotel,
From the moment you enter the very impressive lobby and smell the Langham scent which is unique to the Langham, to the dining , the gym, spa and guest services.

The hotel is perfectly situated on the south bank and if you are able to secure a Yarra river view on one of the high floors you will be truly impressed.

All I can say is thank you to the Langham . Well done to staff and management

Room Tip: High floor facing the Yarra
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!