“What a let down” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

Save Saved
You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Club & Suite Discount
Ranked #1 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Australia
“What a let down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Working in the travel industry I've been recommending & booking my clients into this hotel for 6+ years. This year we decided to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary at the Langham & walked away feeling very let down. It's a tradition of ours to travel to melbourne for our anniversary every year as this is where we got engaged ! We stayed in a club room with Club lounge access & found everything to be very mediocre compared to other 5 Star hotels in Melbourne ( we have stayed at the Sofitel, Park Hyatt and Stamford on previous visits) At these other hotels we have always received some special touches when celebrating our anniversary such as welcome notes , bottles of champaign, flower & fruit baskets and handmade chocolates - all we received was a congratulations when we checked it ... further to that the lounge was a let down with the food & drink selection being limited & rather average (the hot Buffett breakfast was ice cold) Our room was nice but nothing spectacular and a little worn! There was mould in the bathroom. They do provide a turn down service but again no special touches like chocolates or anything ! It may just seem like I am having a moan because nothing was seriously wrong it's just that when paying the price you do to stay at the Langham one does expect all the bells & whistles especially when celebrating a special occasion. I will complement them on their staff that were serving us in the lounge for breakfast, the male host was more than attentitive to our needs & was so embarrassed when we mentioned that the Buffett was cold and offered to have a fresh breakfast made for us but we didn't have time. Not a horrible place to stay but far superior properties await you in Melbourne.

• Stayed October 2013
ManagementMelbourne, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to offer us your valuable feedback following your recent stay at The Langham, Melbourne. We are pleased that you found our Club butler attentive to your needs and attempted to resolve the unfortunate incident with your buffet breakfast. We are disappointed to learn of our lack of recognition for you and your husband’s special occasion. We have checked your reservation and appear not to have the correct information. We have contacted you directly to investigate why we did not have that. We do provide a Langham amenity for guests who are celebrating special occasions. This should go hand in hand with the hotel turndown service. At Langham we offer turndown service to all guest rooms consisting of servicing the room, turning back the bed, slippers and turndown mats, as well as complimentary Langham bottled water. As a 5-star Langham Hotel we pride ourselves on delivering luxurious and quality experiences and have passed on your comments regarding the guest room to our Executive Housekeeper as well as the Club Duty Manager so that they may be shared with their teams. Please accept our apologies we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. We hope you will consider staying with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (689)
Bucks, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed here by accident as the Westin had given my room away despite it being prepaid. The Langham is a very traditional hotel, the sort of place your grandparents would love, but the staff were very friendly, the rooms a good size, well stocked mini bar and had everything you needed. It is an old fashioned, high quality hotel

The beds were extremely comfortable and despite not being a big sleeper I didn't wake up until 11:45am! Unheard of.

If you want a good nights sleep I would recommend it.

Santa Rosa CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I started an 11 day Tauck tour of Australia with 3 nights at the Langham Hotel in Melbourne. The lobby decor was spectacular--the marble fountains seemed to glow from within. Food and service were excellent. My room was spacious and beautifully decorated. The bathroom was floor-to-ceiling golden marble--I wanted to pack it in my suitcase and bring it home! I had a broad view of the Yarra River from my room, along with the elegant old-world building that houses the train station, with its background of downtown skyscrapers. This is one hotel that I can heartily reccommend as a base from which to explore the delights of Melbourne.

Room Tip: Ask for view of Yarra River. Outstanding.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

After coming from Park Hyatt to this Hotel it is a big comedown. Realistically this hotel is overpriced rip off at best.
we arrived on Sunday B taxi ina freezing cold day only to be turned away at 2pm because room wasn't ready for at least 3pm .we went to have lunch at Melbas but at $99.00 each for the buffet we had tofillintimeoutsidethe hotel in freezing cold conditions to wait for the call that never came.
At 3.25pm we went back to see if room was ready and it was, even though we got No call.
We finally got our room and it was only small studio style with the smallest of bathrooms.
We did have a view of the Yarra River which is Not impressive at all.
The Spa was OK but pool ,too small. View was fair.
Best thing f all was the quaint Gift Shop with the room spray and Shabby chic cards .
Meals here are too small and wine too expensive .
View from Melbas is tiring and too busy especially comparing with the Park Hyatt. I would nt come here again.
What I liked best was :the Pink biros,the bed ,pillows,the room spray,the Salmon at breakfast,the orchids and that's it.ooh and I forgot to mention the dirty carpet at checkin

Room Tip: Belong to club Langham
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagementMelbourne, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to offer us your valuable feedback following your recent stay at The Langham, Melbourne. We are pleased that you found several aspects of your stay enjoyable and that you found our Flavours of Langham Shop and the items we have available to your liking. We are sorry that you had to wait for your room, whilst cheek-in time is 3:00pm there can occasionally be some delay due to varying check out times of other guests and availability of specific room types. We do endeavour to have rooms ready as soon as possible from time of arrival. We passed on your comment that you did not receive the arranged call or a SMS regarding your room to our Front Office Manager to investigate. We do hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Ok everyone get a coffee whilst reading this review its long and meticulously detailed.
This is the first time I've ever stayed at any Langham, i was referred to this hotel by business associates. I was so impressed by The Langham Melbourne I cancelled my next scheduled hotel across the road and rebooked here!
I'm a single gay man who travelled to Melbourne for Business and leisure. I stayed in a Terrace room which had its own private balcony with complete views of the CBD's skyscrapers. The room itself was on the small side, but the outside terrace makes up for this (its huge). I could eat my food on the outdoor setting, stare at the beautiful surroundings and landscapes overlooking Federation Sq etc. I think the staff were initially surprised that it was only myself checking in to one of the hotels more expensive rooms and the fact I had a huge balcony just for myself. I explained I prefer more space than the usual. The staff were very respectful and courteous. The bed could fit up to 4 ppl- it was absolutely huuuuge and amazingly comfortable, you do not want to get out of bed the next morning. There was also turn down service every night, the staff would leave cute little white slippers next to the bedside.
This room also included Langham Club Access and had fantastic views identical to those in the Terrace Suite. There is also a separate check in for club guests in the Langham Club lounge on floor 24, so no lengthy line ups at main foyer. Check out was literally checkout-less- so fast! The club prices are a steep climb from the regular standard rooms, but the extra service makes this incredible value for money. You are offered Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and has only a limited number of patrons, many corporate, so its exclusive and there is no congestion. My particular host Sumati was an absolute delight, definitely had the cutest personality I've seen in a hotel and his professionalism is to be commended. He gave me a small tour and made me a part of The Langham Club Membership. His respectful nature was so cute you just wanted to squeeze his cheeks :-) Langham Melbourne need to keep hold of this man as he would be the ideal role model for any hotel chain and highly sought after.
I had valet parking for my car and also no problems there. You are looking at $50 per day but its the norm here in the CBD. I loved the finishing touches on my final departure, one of the valets left a bottle of water in the cup holder which came in handy for me at the airport on my flight out- Top Class!
I really liked how this place is located on Southbank and the big attractions but away from the hustle and bustle of the Casino next door.
Every attention to detail is what I look for and this place was a cut above my own expectations.
Ok, now I have a very, very casual approach to presentation. I wear trakkies, hoodies with SnapBack hats and thongs with socks- Not really the attire you would expect at these 5 star hotels but that's how I roll. I've read some of these reviews saying they were discriminated based on how they dressed or appeared. I did not receive such treatment and the team were always very warm and welcoming. However the overall standard dress code throughout this complex is immaculate with most men wearing suits and ladies wearing cocktail dresses etc. I did eventually force myself to wear a suit when I dined at the Melba buffet restaurant downstairs. I paid roughly $100 for the Sunday lunch, not cheap, but because I eat like little miss piggy it was well worth the spend. I'm a seafood lover and Sunday happened to be seafood day with the majority of selection from South Australia (Top Standard)- The King Prawns were the biggest I've ever seen!!! I seriously ate about ten plates worth!
I have been very fortunate to travel the globe and stay at many 5 star hotels and resorts, ranging from standard rooms to extravagant Reef Suites, but this Langham has so far been the only hotel to ever call me prior to my arrival by phone to ensure a smooth transition, and pre-welcoming me to the hotel.
I didn't even take a look at the pool or Spa club but have heard great reviews.
I have a bit of a reputation for getting into cat fights with the richy rich people thinking they are some sort of Kim Kardashian A-Lister and the rest should bow down- which doesn't tickle my fancy. But here all the patrons and guests were very friendly, classy but down to earth and I actually enjoyed the ambience and atmosphere.
If you want some memorabilia or perfumes, Langham has their own shop too next to the Piano Man around fountain foyer area.
I did spend quite a large sum of money at this hotel but it was worth every cent. You seriously don't need to be rich to stay here, just save your hard earned cash and enjoy a night of pure luxury- I recommend it. The service of this place is absolutely incredible from Concierge, Reception to Club Lounge- Absolutely Flawless
I thought i had seen it all however I was mistaken. I have now ranked this hotel on my list as Number 1!!!!
It's your choice as to where you want to stay but if you want to experience the best and have some spare cash handy... Then look no further as this hotel has all you need
Well done Langham Melbourne, very, very well done!

• Stayed October 2013
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Took my Mum to the Langham for her 80th birthday. From the beginning it was obvious that the standard of service was ordinary.
I received a call from reservations on the day we were checking in demanding I pay for the stay on credit card. I explained I would be at the hotel within 5 minutes however was nagged and nagged to provide credit card details. Very interesting as I had booked on line and had provided this information 3 months previously.
On checking in I was confronted again and accused loudly and publicly that I had provided incorrect credit card information. When it was obvious the information I provided on my online booking was correct, I did not receive an apology or any indication that the hotel had made an error.
The service at the restaurants was very good as was room service.
Unfortunate that even though I completed the in- room survey/evaluation and one online there has never been any response or acknowledgement from the hotel.
As the Langham is in a location with a number of hotel options I would consider these. For me I will never return and certainly never recommend.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel directly regarding any requests. They don't appear to read or respond to anyth...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ManagementMelbourne, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to offer us your valuable feedback on your stay with us in April. We are delighted you enjoyed our signature restaurant Melba with its assorted selection of offerings and sweeping views of the Yarra River as well as our in room dining. We certainly appreciate your comments as we aim to meet guest expectations on every encounter. We apologize that you encountered service issues preceding and during your visit. We have shared your comments with the Reservations Manager as well as our Front Office Manager so that these matters may be shared and we can further improve the experience for our guest.We hope that you will consider staying with us again.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We chose the Langham based on past experience in Hong Kong but this time booked a Club room. It is impossibe to fault this hotel, the rooms, the location and in particular the staff. From breakfast in the morning until the drinks in the lounge in the evening everything went smoothly and the staff were very willing to help with any questions.
We were welcomed at the door and escorted to reception, our luggage arrived promptly and as there were flowers waiting for me, a vase was promptly delivered and the flowers arranged. Our visit just got better and better after that.
If there is a Langham Hotel where we are travelling that is where we will be staying. There is no alternative.

Room Tip: Choose a Club room, it is worth the extra.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!